I saw "Knocked Up" recently...

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
...and it was one of the most boring movies I have seen in a looooong time.I'm not just saying that 'cause I didn't find it particularly funny (I didn't; it had about 2-3 funny lines/scenes in nearly 2 hrs of movie; sorry but I expect more from a "comedy").I really think it was boring. Like there were all these extended argument scenes: between ol girl's sister and her husband, between ol girl and the main dude, etc. Some of these arguments went on waaaaay past the point was made, and with not really any comic relief. And then there'd be another drawn out argument like two scenes later.And the whole "let's just, let's just get away; let's just get out of here let's go to VEGAS!!! whoohoooo!!!!" complete with drug-addled montage. I mean, was that scene for serious? I can't really think of a more tired cliche in my head right now.Basically I turned it off within 10 minutes of the end. Do they end up together? Spoil away; honestly even for a romantic comedy that would be absurd. I find the British PM hooking up with a Northerner from an estate housing project (love actually) to be more plausible.oh, and it was a thinly-veiled right-to-life morality play.this schitt sucked. what's good on DVD comedy-wise right now?[/b]

Comments

• ...and it was one of the most boring movies I have seen in a looooong time.

I'm not just saying that 'cause I didn't find it particularly funny (I didn't; it had about 2-3 funny lines/scenes in nearly 2 hrs of movie; sorry but I expect more from a "comedy").

I really think it was boring. Like there were all these extended argument scenes: between ol girl's sister and her husband, between ol girl and the main dude, etc. Some of these arguments went on waaaaay past the point was made, and with not really any comic relief. And then there'd be another drawn out argument like two scenes later.

And the whole "let's just, let's just get away; let's just get out of here let's go to VEGAS!!! whoohoooo!!!!" complete with drug-addled montage. I mean, was that scene for serious? I can't really think of a more tired cliche in my head right now.

Basically I turned it off within 10 minutes of the end. Do they end up together? Spoil away; honestly even for a romantic comedy that would be absurd. I find the British PM hooking up with a Northerner from an estate housing project (love actually) to be more plausible.

oh, and it was a thinly-veiled right-to-life morality play.

this schitt sucked. what's good on DVD comedy-wise right now?[/b]

I don't think I've seen this...but, lately i've been hitting up some old classics...

might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Hostel 2 looks hilarious can anyone confirm this?

• hmm. i really liked it. the dvd im guessing is uncut or whatevers and im sure it has extended unfunny scenes. kinda like how 40 year old virgin did.

• yeah, knocked up had a couple really good laughs but mostly it was poo poo. i figured it would turn into some cutsie love story crap fest - and then it did.

my favorite part is the brother at the club telling them to take their old asses home. "look, its not like you're not fine. i would love to tap that ass. i would tear that ass up, but your ass is old as hell!"

• might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

it's funny I recently revisited that and I didn't think it held up so well...Real Genius on the other hand consistently delivers....

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I think once you are old and married w/ children you will find that movie hilarious.

I thought it was hilarious. even sans childrens.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I thought "The Ten" had a lot of really inspired comedy in it. The Paul Rudd intros to each segment got a little tired, and some of the jokes missed their mark by a mile, but they try so much outlandish shite in that film that a lot of it felt next-level to me.

That said, I enjoyed Knocked Up (theatrical cut anyway -- haven't seen DVD).

• my favorite part is the brother at the club telling them to take their old asses home. "look, its not like you're not fine. i would love to tap that ass. i would tear that ass up, but your ass is old as hell!"

that was a great scene. it wasn't just funny, it was actually really real. how he was like "you're not even that old, you're jsut too old to be in here . and like why do you even want to be in here with all these young skanks. and you're pregnant? that's just bad parenting ."

I'll admit that was one of the couple good moments for me.

that and when the main dude told the stand-in doctor that their regular doc was at a bar mitzvah and dude was like "well luckily for you guys I have no Jewish friends..."

• I thought it was hilarious. even sans childrens.

Yeah, I really dug it too. "Try gettin' a boner now, dude."

• might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

it's funny I recently revisited that and I didn't think it held up so well...Real Genius on the other hand consistently delivers....

for me...its parts of Better Off Dead that make it hot...not the overall movie...the kid who really wants his $2...and the racers...hot shit

and Real Genius is too hot...

• hmm. i really liked it. the dvd im guessing is uncut or whatevers and im sure it has extended unfunny scenes. kinda like how 40 year old virgin did.

by the end I was pretty convinced I was inadvertently watching the long cut. that said the movie was still stupid to me.

• Hostel 2 looks hilarious can anyone confirm this?

I think it's hilarious that they made that movie.

but I haven't seen it yet.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    B*n,

Check this:

h

• bill's girlfriend. you know, the guy with the beard, his asian girlfriend was hella funny. at least i thought so. as was the catty E! lady that sat in on all those meetings.

• Superbad was wayyyyy funnier IMO...

"The funny thing about my back is that it's located on my cock!"

• Superbad was wayyyyy funnier IMO...

"The funny thing about my back is that it's located on my cock!"

I thought that movie was pretty funny too...

• all movies by judd apatow/vince vaughn/will ferrell etc. drag on too long.

ALL, fuckers.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    It rhymes with shmishmortion

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I thought "The Ten" had a lot of really inspired comedy in it. The Paul Rudd intros to each segment got a little tired, and some of the jokes missed their mark by a mile, but they try so much outlandish shite in that film that a lot of it felt next-level to me.

That said, I enjoyed Knocked Up (theatrical cut anyway -- haven't seen DVD).

Yeah, my theater experience for The Ten was off-the-charts enjoyment, despite the fact that all but four of the sixteen or so people in the theater with us walked out. Even the stuff where you can tell they were going for one thing and missed the mark (The Paul Rudd intros) gives it this compelling strangeness that I liked. And, like you said, there is definately a lot of straight up next level comedy. At the same time, I have to wonder what the fuck David Wain was thinking making this movie! It almost seems designed not to advance his career as a director in Hollywood.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Knocked Up was an endearing funny movie. You must be a humorless bastard.

• Knocked up was funny in the theatre... then i saw it again... and I dont really think it was that good. Superbad was hillarious...

Knocked up did show them at Record surplus where I buy my records though... so that was kinda cool for me.

Plus... did anyone else notice they stole a joke from family guy in there... where the doctor does the echo thing into the girls vagina in the gyno chair? I think apatow is pretty funny... but why steal something so blatantly.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    My brother thought it was depressing. But he's about to get married and she wants kids so I can understand that.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Seeing the baby crown made me even cross my legs. My wife was like, "F-that! NO KIDS!"

• Knocked Up was an endearing funny movie. You must be a humorless bastard.

and you probably find Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia uproariously funny, and are fascinated by round, shiny objects also.

• You didn't laugh when the little girl said, "I googled 'murder'"?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Knocked Up was an endearing funny movie. You must be a humorless bastard.

and you probably find Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia uproariously funny, and are fascinated by round, shiny objects also.

No, I'm more of a fan of Larry the Cable guy.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Knocked up was funny in the theatre... then i saw it again... and I dont really think it was that good.

Yeah, Knocked Up was funny in the theater, but nevertheless I left the theater saying to myself, "well, that's not one I'm gonna revisit." Fast forward to a few months later and my girlfriend brings it home on dvd and I forget what I told myself. Sure enough, it was an almost grueling experience; just too long and awkward and coming close but not quite hitting the mark like I want it too. The jokes are there for sure, but after the first viewing it's too much work wading through the rest of the gunk to get to them.

• ...and it was one of the most boring movies I have seen in a looooong time.

I'm not just saying that 'cause I didn't find it particularly funny (I didn't; it had about 2-3 funny lines/scenes in nearly 2 hrs of movie; sorry but I expect more from a "comedy").

I really think it was boring. Like there were all these extended argument scenes: between ol girl's sister and her husband, between ol girl and the main dude, etc. Some of these arguments went on waaaaay past the point was made, and with not really any comic relief. And then there'd be another drawn out argument like two scenes later.

And the whole "let's just, let's just get away; let's just get out of here let's go to VEGAS!!! whoohoooo!!!!" complete with drug-addled montage. I mean, was that scene for serious? I can't really think of a more tired cliche in my head right now.

Basically I turned it off within 10 minutes of the end. Do they end up together? Spoil away; honestly even for a romantic comedy that would be absurd. I find the British PM hooking up with a Northerner from an estate housing project (love actually) to be more plausible.

oh, and it was a thinly-veiled right-to-life morality play.

this schitt sucked. what's good on DVD comedy-wise right now?[/b]

BAN

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    These guys make funny movies, but can we stick the comedies to 90 minutes or less? When did the standard for these flicks become over two hours? Gets to be a little marathon after a while.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    These guys make funny movies, but can we stick the comedies to 90 minutes or less? When did the standard for these flicks become over two hours? Gets to be a little marathon after a while.

I agree with that, much as I like most Apatow-related films. I think this trend might go back to There's Something About Mary which, if I remember correctly, runs about 130 mins.

With Apatow's films, I feel like they must at some point be working with 4-6 hour cuts that they struggle to get down to 2, given how many deleted scenes they have (and how, despite how funny the films are, the final cuts don't always have smooth narrative flows).