Mike James Kirkland "Hang On In There" LP

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
This is a true masterpiece. I recently found a copy of the original after seeing and hearing about the reissue for so long and never getting around to listening to it. What a great album all the way through. If you were like me and slept on it, do yourself a favor and get it.

Comments

• I've had it for four years now, and I would never get rid of it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ive still only heard the title track, which is a MONSTER. so...you know....if anybody would wanna just like...upload it or whatever...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

"Like... you know... whatever"

• I'll try to make this happen when I have the time!

• This belongs to my alltime top5 for sure

• It really is pure class.I remember the chills I felt the first time Heard "Hang on in there".

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Definitely some beautifull music regardless of it's rarity.People tend to over hype records based on heir rarity or price tag and not on the music( in my opinion most of the best music isn't all that rare) and this record manages to escape that label real nicely.

• nice braek on "The Prophet"..

but the title track is what's really

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    nice braek on "The Prophet"..

There's a break on the album version of the Prophet?

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    nice braek on "The Prophet"..

There's a break on the album version of the Prophet?

On which album? I thought it was 45 only.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

but the title track is what's really

I think the record would have been better WITHOUT the female backing vocals. But that's just like my opinion, man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pardon the personal plug but I thought some might enjoy this interview I did with MJK: http://soul-sides.com/2011/11/the-sidebar-21-mike-james-kirkland/

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fantastic! I have the Hang On in There LP and totally love it, but I REALLY love the Mike & the Censations stuff. I've never been let down by a Censations 45. Thanks for doing this, and for posting!

• SoulOnIce said:
    Fantastic! I have the Hang On in There LP and totally love it, but I REALLY love the Mike & the Censations stuff. I've never been let down by a Censations 45. Thanks for doing this, and for posting!

I've never been let down by ANY of that guys' stuff, be it Mike & the Censations, Michael James Kirkland, or Bo Kirkland (the name he adopted in the 70s, after the two MJK albums - were there more?). His output was remarkably consistent. The followup LP wasn't too hard to take either, even though it wasn't quite as political as Hang On In There.

• The bassline to HOIT is just so over the top good, and his lyrics are so real throughout the whole thing. True :goat: right beside MG's What's Going On. Maybe not as polished, but he wasn't Motown, and that's what makes him so special. When I have time I'm gonna give O's interview a good listen.