What's up with all this French disco craze?

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
On the innanetz and in various towns, large and small, gentlemen and ladies alike are going ape shit over all the Ed Banger records music, justice, sebastian, uffie. Some of the music is awfully corny, like that raunchy 20-year old minx Uffie vocoding over Kenny G loops, I guess it's suppose to be ironic or whatever...the best stuff are the old glitch induced disco re-edits, but damn, girls are having seizures over these sausage toons. "THIS IS UFFIE AND I'M-I'M-I'M-I'M READY TO FUCK"Girls learn how to be trashy and master the skin flute with the help of her lyrics and concepts...I don't mind, she's a novelty, a hot one at that.Does anyone seriously bump this music? or do you listen because you find it ironic to listen to other peoples music based on the irony of their own pretentious meatholes.YEAH SAHN!

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    It's exciting fresh music aimed at the dancefloor.
    Enough with the bashing of ironic caucasian hipsters.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I really like that justice record.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I thought it didn't reach its potential.

• It's exciting fresh music aimed at the dancefloor.

• I really like that justice record.

I thought it didn't reach its potential.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    It's exciting fresh music aimed at the dancefloor.
    Enough with the bashing of ironic caucasian hipsters.

"i LOVE IRONY lol i lisenm'd to theis new record (yes it on VYNEL!!) of sharen jons and the Dappkings lol it sounded like a MOTWONO ROCORD! IRONIC"

id love to never hear the word "ironic" be used to describe something again. its like if anybody on here dislikes something, and then ties it in with "hipsters" its immediately "ironic" therefore "elitist" and "bad" since they dont "get it". this french dance stuff is just plain good solid danceable music, and one of the first really "popular" music crazes ive been very ok with in a LONG time.

plus it seems kinda late to even be talking about this, its definitely not a "new" phenomenon...

• hmmm. I think there is merit. I like the french "second wave" much much less than when the original french touch thing came through in the mid to late nineties. daft punk and super discount and all that. It was more traditional house music but made with chunky samples and 12 bit samples.. a bit off kilter. I bought it all.

This stuff is post-electro clash post-2manydjs and it you can tell.. it has more of a rock element, it caters to the "dirty electro rock" heads (ie 9/10s of europe not already hooked on the "minimal" of villalobos et al).. and i find it less straight up, more "pseudo ironic cool", maybe a bit less fresh and fun, than your daft punks etc.

plus they use the supatrigga plugin on every fuckin track, which i think is cheap.

If you haven't heard the jackson & his computer band remix of "D.A.N.C.E" you should check it, however. Epic. I really like that one.

Also the Sebastien remix of "killing in the name of" will make you laugh.

peace

• Everything Pedro Winter (Ed banger boss and daft punk manager) is touching instantly turns to gold. The man is a genius. Live with this.

The funny thing is Mr flash from Ed banger is a rare groove collector. He even probably already post in here.

• Dj Mehdi obviously is french hip hop royalty

nice cortex special on the french attack site by the way.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    any other labels/artists apart from Ed Banger do this types o' shit?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Word.

What's wrong with music that makes hot chicks dance?

I'm not seeing your so called irony connection since there is no culture that this music is trying to be that it's not.

Shit is dope.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's kind of like ginger beer and that one bar in Los Angeles, what was it in the fifties? Well the story goes that they had all this ginger beer laying around and didn't know what to do with it, so they added a little (maybe a lot) of vodka, and it became a pretty popular beverage, the Moscow Mule.

It's pretty much the same phenomenom -- they had a bunch of old French records and a ton of leftover filtered house records from the late-1990s and decided to mix in a little vodka. Much to the delight of the DJs, the ladies liked it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    crap

crap

and more crap

• I love a lot of this stuff.
    It kills at parties and in the clubs especially dropped at the right time.

The bad thing is the 12"s cost about $12 a pop (in the US).

The good thing is you can get most of it off Hype Machine (if you're rockin a dildo):
    http://hypem.com/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mostly forgettable

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i like quite a lot of it. check out Mr. Miyagi and Bag Raiders.

the worst shit is this british "nu rave" stuff like klaxons and shitdisco.

you think that justice song is bad? you should see them "dj"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkyhqE_VOEE

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I was a big fan of the Daft Punk/Super Discount/Cassius/1st Wave? French touch genre, so I really looked forward to the Justice debut CD. I couldn't get past 2 full listenings of the album...thought it lacked melody and "the funk" present in the best Daft Punk-styled material. Color me

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm not sure if this is the kind of music we're talking about, but I kinda like it:

you think that justice song is bad? you should see them "dj"

Bitter DJ's hating on successful DJ's and producers? Here on soulstrut? NO WAY, GET OUT!

or get some

no worries they are soon to be but a footnote in the Kanye West E true hollywood story.

I could care less about the scene they attract or if they're played or their Ableton/dildo skills are not popping off.

I saw them live and had a blast. So did everybody we were with.

One of the best looking female crowds I've ever seen at a live music event. I use the word "live" lightly of course. Either way the sound was big.

Don't hate, participate.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Between this and the t-shirt thread...

YA'LL SOUND OLD

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I could care less about the scene they attract or if they're played or their Ableton/dildo skills are not popping off.

I saw them live and had a blast. So did everybody we were with.

One of the best looking female crowds I've ever seen at a live music event. I use the word "live" lightly of course. Either way the sound was big.

Don't hate, participate.

I think dudes get a little jealous when other DJ/producers are winning.

As for the music, some of it's great, some of it's not so great (wasn't feeling the Justice album, but they got singles). Same as any other genre really.

I've been big into french dance music since the late 90's. Here's some related artists etc I'm feeling...

Breakbot
    Alan Braxe
    DatA
    Kitsune "Boombox" comp CD
    Mr.Oizo
    Ratcliffe
    Sebastian Tellier (the "Steak" soundtrack is nice vintage Moog sounding music)
    Sirius Mo
    LA Priest
    Rainbow Brothers (AIR)
    I:Cube
    Alavi

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Mr.Oizo

i got analog worms attack at a young age and i still LOVE that album. i heard some of his newer stuff and it was pretty hit or miss.

• you think that justice song is bad? you should see them "dj"

for those who like to groove....
    justice is dope.
    having always been a fan of disco, im really diggin the production.
    i have heard they suck as djs, and after watching this video it seems to confirm this.
    maybe this is what its like to see vincent gallo spin.

"im a dj for 2 years now and i play electro/disco..i go to blogs and download all my tracks and play these exclusive remixes that nobody knows...i have 7 records at home, and i couldnt tell you jack shit about music/djs/producers unless its post 1997...but do you liiike my party ? "

for the most part, im into the music...just cant stand the fashion trends/ scenesters that think they are part of some holy like movement. nothing that new is going on. beefed up drum tracks with disco samples has always been a no brainer.

i find most who collect funk 45s and such usually dont dance, so they really dont get with this sound.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Mr.Oizo

i got analog worms attack at a young age and i still LOVE that album. i heard some of his newer stuff and it was pretty hit or miss.

If you're not down with Analog Worms Attack, I'd have to ask: Do you even party?

Did you hear his earlier EP, M-Seq I think. There is this absolutely monster track called, well, it's "M-Seq." I can up it here if anyone is interested. Bass in your face for days.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Sebastian Tellier

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I think dudes get a little jealous when other DJ/producers are winning.

Really though, if I had a dime for every DJ AM/Aoki thread etc...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

i thought this was about shitty french music...

Lol.