Why did itunes pull "American Gangster"...?

2»

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    if you read the XXL article, the purple tape was sorta supposed to be single story also.

are u talking bout that camron prince mashup thing?

anyone heard the psycho realm? i mean, i know you all didnt its a rhetorical question. but its a concept album that has a bibliography in the liner notes of some really odd reads n such.

If only more hip-hop albums came with a bibliography. Hum, that's a very interesting crack cocaine allusion, but I did not see a reference in your notes..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ...enquiring minds wanna know why this wasny posted in the Jayz AG thread?

• There are plenty of album-only downloads on itunes. Television "Marquee Moon" being one of the more notable that I've encountered recently. If you have the balls and the suction, you can make sure the only people that buy your shit are full-album sales. Don't know how this affects the bottom line and I suppose it's somewhat self-absorbed but I'm not totally mad at the decision (I was when I was trying to download just the Television title track though).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you have the balls and the suction

• If you have the balls and the suction

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There are plenty of album-only downloads on itunes. Television "Marquee Moon" being one of the more notable that I've encountered recently. If you have the balls and the suction, you can make sure the only people that buy your shit are full-album sales. Don't know how this affects the bottom line and I suppose it's somewhat self-absorbed but I'm not totally mad at the decision (I was when I was trying to download just the Television title track though).

I was curious, because this was the first I had heard of this, so I went
    to Itunes and checked it out ... what's weird is, you can buy ANY song from
    the Marquee Moon LP individually, EXCEPT for the title track ... strange.
    Maybe it has something to do with the length of the track? Like, they won't
    sell a 10 minute song for 99 cents?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    ...enquiring minds wanna know why this wasny posted in the Jayz AG thread?

I dunno...seemed like a different point. Y'all was talking about how good/bad it is, I had a question that didn't seem to relate.

All in all, I do suck though--no question.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

All in all, I do suck though--no question.

Batmon sees no crime go unchecked.

• The album will not be sold on iTunes to respect JAY-Z's creative vision of AMERICAN GANGSTER being experienced as a complete story. "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles," stated JAY-Z. The album is available in its entirety in traditional retail stores as well as at rocafella.com, Amazon.com and rhapsody.com.

Prince's 1988 Lovesexy is being sold on iTunes as one 45 minute mp3.

The CD was only one track as well.

• There are plenty of album-only downloads on itunes. Television "Marquee Moon" being one of the more notable that I've encountered recently. If you have the balls and the suction, you can make sure the only people that buy your shit are full-album sales. Don't know how this affects the bottom line and I suppose it's somewhat self-absorbed but I'm not totally mad at the decision (I was when I was trying to download just the Television title track though).

I was curious, because this was the first I had heard of this, so I went
    to Itunes and checked it out ... what's weird is, you can buy ANY song from
    the Marquee Moon LP individually, EXCEPT for the title track ... strange.
    Maybe it has something to do with the length of the track? Like, they won't
    sell a 10 minute song for 99 cents?

The iTunes policy is that they only sell your album if they can sell individual tracks too. iTunes rule the download market, so you have to be in Radiohead or Jigga position to say no. But i don't believe the concept album talk. The majors are trying everything right now to become more independant from iTunes (= making all the cash themselves) and Universal is leading the pack.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Even though it may be a losing battle, i can kinda sympathize with saying fuck you to itunes.

I am a fan of albums, and i refuse to think that the concept of a cohesive collection of songs is outdated.

In reality however, the only real alternative to itunes is illegal downloading, which will be how EVERYBODY basicly gets the album.

But jay said hes making no money off this record anyways.

....by the way the record is ok. Beats are hot, even the lyrics are pretty hot, but it seems like he lost alot of his delivery somewhere.

• im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

KMD's Mr. Hood
    Fugees - The Score

tepid with moments:
    Organized - Equinox

and you didn't like Stakes is High????

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

Straight Outta Compton

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this is kinda crazy. i'm pretty sure they had an "exclusive pre-order" for this album
    and there are some cases that are "album-only" purchases so you can't DL just a certain track

anyway did any LA heads see hova tuesday night at HOB?
    very ill

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

....by the way the record is ok. Beats are hot, even the lyrics are pretty hot, but it seems like he lost alot of his delivery somewhere.

He does seem to have lost a step lyrically, huh? He just doesn't rap with the same wittiness or sharpness as the Fade to Black/pre-Kingdom Come era.

• The album will not be sold on iTunes to respect JAY-Z's creative vision of AMERICAN GANGSTER being experienced as a complete story. "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles," stated JAY-Z. The album is available in its entirety in traditional retail stores as well as at rocafella.com, Amazon.com and rhapsody.com.

Prince's 1988 Lovesexy is being sold on iTunes as one 45 minute mp3.

The CD was only one track as well.

the LP didn't have any space between songs either...thats the one with "when 2 are in love" right?

• These dudes hyping up Fade To Black are really on some revisionist shit. That record used to be his "wack" album.

• i like the album but it sure doesnt feel like a concept album to me., if you took away the small bits from the movie then what would you have?

i think the best example of a hiphop concept album is prince paul's a prince among theives.

• on a slightly different note... i am kind of curious how everyone feels about seeing jay reiterating how the movie relates to him and how that would have been him had he not become "jay-z".

i understand it's apart of the marketing game, but it gets watered down. i felt the same way with him pushing his "retirement" for sales of the black album.