Why did itunes pull "American Gangster"...?

theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
...enquiring minds wanna know!

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The album will not be sold on iTunes to respect JAY-Z's creative vision of AMERICAN GANGSTER being experienced as a complete story. "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles," stated JAY-Z. The album is available in its entirety in traditional retail stores as well as at rocafella.com, Amazon.com and rhapsody.com.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The album will not be sold on iTunes to respect JAY-Z's creative vision of AMERICAN GANGSTER being experienced as a complete story. "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles," stated JAY-Z. The album is available in its entirety in traditional retail stores as well as at rocafella.com, Amazon.com and rhapsody.com.

Wow.

• "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles,"
    How ridiculous to compare the two...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    "As loafs are bread aren't sold slice by slice..."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles,"

How so? It's a concept album based on the film.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    "As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles,"

How so? It's a concept album based on the film.

our dude's noz take on the 'concept album'
    http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=15851

somehow i bet it has more to do with the labels continual loathing of itunes as opposed to any thematic undertones.

i have not heard the album nor have i seen the movie, but i have a feeling i could listen to the 4th and 7th track on the album at whim and not feel like i am missing important pieces of Jigga's 'art piece'.

• "As loafs are bread aren't sold slice by slice..."

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    kinda nice I think.....probably one of the only good decisions made regarding this album.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The metaphor would be more apt if most films were a collection of shorts, like that movie coffee and cigarettes, which by the way, totally sucked ass. And the only part worth watching was the wu-tang, which, maybe I would download off of i-tunes if I did that kinda of thing. either way, jay-z has balls I suppose.

• its a stupid reason for a stupid move.

• im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

• im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

here's 2 for ya:
    prince of thieves
    physic analysis

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    its a stupid reason for a stupid move.

LOL, i wouldn't expect you to be a big itunes supporter

here's 2 for ya:
    prince of thieves
    physic analysis

dude those are the worst things prince paul has ever touched if you ask me. i remember after stakes is hi dropped and i was thinking that de la was nothing without him. then he put out that psychoanalysis thing.

what im saying is i dont think these are good examples of concept rap albums and i seem to remember no raplips on that psycho thing. but i could be wrong. anyways, is this really it?

• physic analysis

hmmmm I must have missed that one....

countdown until someone mentions MF Doom's worst tape, MMFood....

• physic analysis

hmmmm I must have missed that one....

yeah, little mispelling there.

im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

here's 2 for ya:
    prince of thieves
    physic analysis

dude those are the worst things prince paul has ever touched if you ask me. i remember after stakes is hi dropped and i was thinking that de la was nothing without him. then he put out that psychoanalysis thing.

i can see cats thinking that about psychoanalysis, but prince of thieves?!?!?!? that tape didn't leave my walkman for weeks!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    im sure it exists but can someone name a rap concept album that was actually good?

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

now were talken!

• if you read the XXL article, the purple tape was sorta supposed to be single story also.

• if you read the XXL article, the purple tape was sorta supposed to be single story also.

are u talking bout that camron prince mashup thing?

anyone heard the psycho realm? i mean, i know you all didnt its a rhetorical question. but its a concept album that has a bibliography in the liner notes of some really odd reads n such.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Disposable Arts.

...because I'm not sure you'd count the first two De La albums.

• The metaphor would be more apt if most films were a collection of shorts, like that movie coffee and cigarettes, which by the way, totally sucked ass. And the only part worth watching was the wu-tang,

What ??? No love for Steve Coogan ???

• if this is true, why would they service a single and try and work the album through radio? is there going to be a video? i would love to see them commit to actually marketing it this way in all forms, rather than pulling it from itunes that will get them some pr...

• Sounds more like a deal of universal trying to stick it to itunes, rather than any real artistic integrity issue, even though that's how it's being spun. I wonder if it will hurt Jay's sales, though. How embarrassing if he loses wk 1 sales to Chris Brown. right now universal and itunes are working with a month to month contract.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    is there going to be a video?

if you read the XXL article, the purple tape was sorta supposed to be single story also.

are u talking bout that camron prince mashup thing?

anyone heard the psycho realm? i mean, i know you all didnt its a rhetorical question. but its a concept album that has a bibliography in the liner notes of some really odd reads n such.

Dude, I liked the Psycho Realm album, and I still have it...

• its a stupid reason for a stupid move.

LOL, i wouldn't expect you to be a big itunes supporter

I don't support itunes personally, but reality is reality and they are going to be one of the last stand outs for retail music outside of used/collector items.

And I believe iTunes already has an option to download whole albums which would make this excuse even more flimsy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't support itunes personally, but reality is reality and they are going to be one of the last stand outs for retail music outside of used/collector items.

And I believe iTunes already has an option to download whole albums which would make this excuse even more flimsy.

While I think its early to give the paid download market entirely to itunes, I'm almost sure this is an excuse to blow them off

I've never looked at the site so I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are no album-only DLs though

I can't blame Jay as a record company head for making an effort to save the full-length format - and if that means making quality, cohesive albums I'm all for it (I'm applauding the idea in theory here, I've never heard the CD in question)

While I think its early to give the paid download market entirely to itunes, I'm almost sure this is an excuse to blow them off

I've never looked at the site so I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are no album-only DLs though

I can't blame Jay as a record company head for making an effort to save the full-length format - and if that means making quality, cohesive albums I'm all for it (I'm applauding the idea in theory here, I've never heard the CD in question)

I bought it from Target.
    It's a Jay-Z album.
    But the album-only experience?
    Nah.