Yet Another Texas Rap Thread

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Last night after I was done listening to Big Moe's "Cash" about 8 times in a row, I did the same with Lil Keke's "Still Pimpin' Pens"...and I am now a better man for it. Highly recommended...but make sure to lower your pitch control to -8 on Moe and -7 on Keke for a greater effect.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Pop another pill, careful, better chill
    Southside Houston Texas won't you tell me how you feel
    Make another mill, while I pack my steel
    Breakin' boys off with my freestyle drill
    Higher than a hill, land of the trill
    Pimpin' pens, hittin' skins, show another skill

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eww

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Pimpin' pens, hittin' skins, showin' nothin' but skills[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    original or screwed version of still pimpin pens?

Pimpin' pens, hittin' skins, showin' nothin' but skills[/b]

Yeah, it's hard to ever use any of the lyric transcriptions online when it comes to Texas rap.

But the reason why I made this post was that those 2 12"s were really able to take me to a whole 'nother place last night. I had a similar experience listening to Fat Pat's Ghetto Dreams slowed down and back-to-back-to-back one night a couple of weeks ago.

I've been listeing to rap music intently for a loooong time, and it's been few and far between that rap songs are so easily able to fulfill any sort of transcendental function like that for me. Sure, there are those songs in their recital that become second nature to the point of becoming like the back of your hand. For me, Too $hort has historically been the one most apt to do that for me. But really, that's a whole different animal.

Abstract Rude's Coat of Paint actually defaults as the best non-Texas example of a song that when I'm fully into it, makes me feel as if I'm leaving my body.

But back to Texas...I don't get how anyone else in the rap universe has any room to offer blanket criticisms of Texas rap when here is where the shit is literally being taken to new realms that still have something to do with the hood in and of itself. It ain't what we hope to be one day. It's what's goin' dine right now this very second. On "Cash" and "Still Pimpin Pens", Moe and Keke are freestyling...and it's exactly that sponatneous human reflex that makes this music so vital.

Some other (not-all-Texas) songs that fit the elusive criteria:

Big Mello - Da Feva
    Fat Pat - Wreckshop
    Trae & Z-Ro - No Help
    UGK - One Day
    Scarface - Now I Feel Ya
    Devin the Dude - See What I Can Pull
    Soulja Slim - Get High With Me

Anybody but Drew following me here?

original or screwed version of still pimpin pens?

It was the original slowed down to -7.

Here it is regular-speed...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    harvey, who would you put as your top 5 outta:

housten,dallas, austin,etc.

• UGK - One Day

Every damn time.

I'm pretty sure that Jewbacca is following you around the board.

harvey, who would you put as your top 5 outta:

housten,dallas, austin,etc.

1. Z-Ro
    2. Gerald G
    3. Lil Keke
    4. Dougie D
    5. Ryno

You ain't ever lied.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    damn,no scarface,doc,pimpsta??

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You ain't ever lied.

Wow, first thing I've read from Ross Hogg in a while.

It's good to know that blocking him hasn't kept me from missing anything interesting

Anyways play on, Harvey we all know what you listened to last night, did you have a nice meal to go along with it? Perhaps some crawfish?

Oh, so you meant all-time:

1. Z-Ro
    2. Scarface
    3. Fat Pat
    4. Bun B
    5. (tie) Willie D, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire

You ain't ever lied.

It's good to know that blocking him hasn't kept me from missing anything interesting

Anyways play on, Harvey we all know what you listened to last night, did you have a nice meal to go along with it? Perhaps some crawfish?

PLAESE TO KEEP BLOCKING MY POSTS AS WELL AS YOUR TENDENCY TO POST IN THEM EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE SUPPOSEDLY BLOCKING THEM AND NOT MISSING ANYTHING INTERESTING.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

1. Z-Ro
    2. Scarface
    3. Fat Pat
    4. Bun B
    i guess my question was worded poorly. what i meant was who is your top 5 out of each texas city.

1. Z-Ro
    2. Scarface
    3. Fat Pat
    4. Bun B
    i guess my question was worded poorly. what i meant was who is your top 5 out of each texas city.

But there's only one Texas City.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You ain't ever lied.

PLAESE TO KEEP BLOCKING MY POSTS AS WELL AS YOUR TENDENCY TO POST IN THEM EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE SUPPOSEDLY BLOCKING THEM AND NOT MISSING ANYTHING INTERESTING.

why would I block yours? you say things that are both funny and show me another slice of life I would not be privy to in the real world.

you keep posting and if your worried about who is reading what you are writing than maybe you should think about that when you type

play on playa

why would I block yours? you say things that are both funny and show me another slice of life I would not be privy to in the real world.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I don't follow, unless you think I meant I had you blocked?

no, I keep you available to read, its that other boy that you quoted that I keep from reading

but seriously, don't let me distract you from reporting what records you listened to. I want to know more. I want to know what makes you a "better man"

I've even listened to Trae because you cheurleaded him for so long. Didn't find myself as in love with it as you, but still got to hear something I wouldn't of otherwise.

play on playa

• Is that supposed to break my heart?

no, I keep you available to read, its that other boy that you quoted that I keep from reading

By anyone's definition, Ross is one of the nicest people in the entire universe...yet you've somehow manufactured a way to deem him as unreadable???

Does not compute.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

By anyone's definition, Ross is one of the nicest people in the entire universe...yet you've somehow manufactured a way to deem him as unreadable???

Does not compute.

it's got to do with him puppy dogging me around soulstrut and not adding anything interesting to my reading experience.

I'd rather see the "you are ignoring this user" text than his. I'm sure that last post he made was something directed at me and it's great that I don't have to see another tired rehashing of the same drivel he's followed me around with before.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I have nothing to contribute except to say that I will be in Texas in 2 weeks.

Why?

Because God hates me, I guess.

Why?

Don't discount how much God must hate Texas as well.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Why?

Don't discount how much God must hate Texas as well.

I'm gonna have to admit.... that was a pretty good zing!

• it's got to do with him puppy dogging me around soulstrut and not adding anything interesting to my reading experience.

Radically different from your treatment of, say, HarvChaic or Faux_Rillz.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    it's got to do with him puppy dogging me around soulstrut and not adding anything interesting to my reading experience.

Radically different from your treatment of, say, HarvChaic or Faux_Rillz.

Keep my name off your keyboard, rossdumbasf**k

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Does not compute.

I'd rather see the "you are ignoring this user" text than his. I'm sure that last post he made was something directed at me and it's great that I don't have to see another tired rehashing of the same drivel he's followed me around with before.

you, on the other hand, always have something interesting and insightful to offer.

why are you in this thread again?

and Harvey, what is the only Texas city?