Holy Mountain music question.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
In the scene where Isla, "She whose planet is Mars" says "the young generation needs arms for their marches and sit ins" a really nice rock riff kicks in,who's credited for this music? imdb says Original Music by Don Cherry,Ronald Frangipane and Alejandro Jodorowsky,is this right?I'm looking to Spidey to shed light on this matter.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    That what the CD that came with the box set says. Unfortunatly neither CD list the players. The El Topo LP I have lists the player, but I don't think there was a Holy Mountian LP.

• from the soundtrack notes:
    indeed Jodorowsky, Frangipane, & Don Cherry

sidenote: always geeked to read that they worked @ (to me) some of the g.o.a.t. studios for this: record planet (ny), a&r, sear sound, & electric ladyland back in '73.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Jodorowsky=Straight up genius

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Thanks,i really wish we could find out the session players used on the sdtk.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hey Mag,

My Holy mountain DVD boxset doesn't say much about this, but I remember reading something jodorowsky said about it.

"Jodorowsky: Some noises I had to make myself. Nobody knows that but I made a lot of sounds. When the thieves attack the masters in The Holy Mountain I had a piano and I took a chamber pot and I started to hit the piano with the chamber pot. It was fantastic, the chamber pot made a fantastic sound! (laughter) No one has asked me about the sound until today, but I made a lot of sounds. And I worked with a fantastic jazz musician called Don Cherry. He was a hippy musician, he was always doing drugs, and he brought lots of musicians. One time I had 100 guys! I showed them The Holy Mountain and he made the music as he was watching the picture. Every time I discovered ways to make the music I needed."

At the time, Cherry kept the same musicians around him for most projects.. Carla bley also plays on the soundtrack.

So my guesses would be:

Ron Frangipane (keys)
    Charlie Haden (bass)
    Billy higgins (drums)
    Sam Brown (guitar)

- spidey

• I don't think there was a Holy Mountian LP.

i read somewhere a while ago in an intrview with Andy Votel thathe's going to reissue the soundtrack to Holy Mountain ... i presume on his Finders Keepers label. should be good shit.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Hey Mag,

My Holy mountain DVD boxset doesn't say much about this, but I remember reading something jodorowsky said about it.

"Jodorowsky: Some noises I had to make myself. Nobody knows that but I made a lot of sounds. When the thieves attack the masters in The Holy Mountain I had a piano and I took a chamber pot and I started to hit the piano with the chamber pot. It was fantastic, the chamber pot made a fantastic sound! (laughter) No one has asked me about the sound until today, but I made a lot of sounds. And I worked with a fantastic jazz musician called Don Cherry. He was a hippy musician, he was always doing drugs, and he brought lots of musicians. One time I had 100 guys! I showed them The Holy Mountain and he made the music as he was watching the picture. Every time I discovered ways to make the music I needed."

At the time, Cherry kept the same musicians around him for most projects.. Carla bley also plays on the soundtrack.

So my guesses would be:

Ron Frangipane (keys)
    Charlie Haden (bass)
    Billy higgins (drums)
    Sam Brown (guitar)

- spidey

You are a true Jodorowsky disciple.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Yeah.. I've been gushing over his stuff for a minute now. I just stumbled on something kind of funny..

Apparently the little boy in Santa Sangre was Alejandro's son, Adan. (His other son was in El Topo, and His other son Brontis plays the older fenix in santa sangre.)

According to wikipedia:

"(Adan)Jodorowsky started playing piano at the age of six. At seven, he met James Brown (he was friend of his brother) at the backstage of a concert. Brown taught Adan how to dance like him. Jodorowsky's first guitar lessons where given by The Beatles guitarist George Harrison who was a friend of his parents, in this occasion Harrison told him that "he was far", Adan didn't knew if he was far in an enlightened way or far from being a good guitarist. "

It's scary how similar all of his sons look like Alejandro. Adan seems to be following in pops footstep too, and is starting to direct in a similar style to his pops.

Interesting.

- spidey