so who here owns an MPC?

2»

Comments

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    do you think the PCD-25 would work with the XL, or is that mainly for 60s and 3000s?

the 25 works for the 2000 so i would assume it works with the xl. if you want to go through the headache i went through to find one, have at it
    since you have the xl, you can use the pcd 47 with no problem. they sell at various prices on ebay. seen them for for 40-100

and yo if you can get a look at that harddrive, let me know. if its in an external case, open that ho up and look at the back of the drive. you should be able to see the brand and part#

holla

• Rocking the 3k with (double id card reader).

Hey--is that an external card reader for the 3000? I've heard about the pcd 25 internal, but is this something else?

The Zip 250 platform is getting more an more precarious with each passing day....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    xl for me.

i like the 3k too.

but im used to the xl. Its whatever you get used to.

but to whoever said the 2000 was better if fuckin nuts.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

to go with it. Armrest

I had no clue that this existed. How much to they usually go for?

• 2000xl here

just copped last week after years of comp-based production.

n00b status.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

to go with it. Armrest

i saw someone on the mpc forums a few months back sellin one for 250 or so
    i saw an akai mixer that went with the mpc 60/3000 on ebay last month. never saw it before. not sure how rare or how good it is but it was definitely interesting.
    if i can find the listing ill post the pic

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    found it
    akai mpx 820
    has anyone used one of these?

• i own a 60, 3000, 2000, and a 2000xl. if your really into mpcs, then you know they all sound and feel a little different. its all preference. to me the 3000 sounds the best, but the 2000xl is just so damn fast and easy to use. i will never mess with the mpcs that are being made now (500, 1000, 2500) beacause NUMARK OWNS AKAI NOW. AND NUMARK IS GARBAGE.

• to go with it. Armrest

i saw an akai mixer that went with the mpc 60/3000 on ebay last month. never saw it before. not sure how rare or how good it is but it was definitely interesting.

wait, is that the 12 track, that uses beta tapes, from the late 80s? beautiful machine... but only for leaning elbows on and running signal thru, right? or do you intend on recording to beta 12 track? uber-retro steez.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

to go with it. Armrest

wait, is that the 12 track, that uses beta tapes, from the late 80s? beautiful machine... but only for leaning elbows on and running signal thru, right? or do you intend on recording to beta 12 track? uber-retro steez.

Yeah, proprietary analog 1/2-inch tape format. I don't know the details or quality but the idea that you could use multi-track analog tape fairly easily like a cassette 4-track is pretty cool.

• I'm loving my mpc60 with a scsi hard drive - I've been following the card reader fun at the forums Lumin, you've done well with it.

One thing though, and I may be wrong, but I think the 60 can only read upto a gig because of it's formatting style. If anyone wants a scsi disk drive holla, cause I've got a few sitting around.

• I have mentioned on here more than once that I sold my whole "studio set up(if u wanna call it that). My MPCs,Korg,3 1200s, 2 dope mixers,etc etc etc...

well now ive got the bug. And since I cant afford to buy any of above mentioned stuff. I wouldnt mind just having a copy of Fruity Loops and Cubase(I used to have em, but erased em at some point). Can anyone hook me up with a download so I can make music again? Pwetty pwease? PM me if necessary.

• Try this place - www.shareminer.com . Just type in what you want to find and you should be sorted. Try the blog search as well.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    http://thepiratebay.org/
    if you know how to use torrents then you should be cool.

but yeah check this out if you are thinking about card readers, HDs or anything mpc 2000 or 3000 related
    http://www.midicase.com/

anyone remember this thing?

"Akai's first desktop sequencer was the ASQ-10 and it was amazing. Up to 99 sequences, 99 tracks, 60,000-note capacity, 3.5" built-in disk drive and sophisticated real-time or step recording and programming. Overdubbing, punch in/out, track soloing and a big LCD data screen. Extensive edit-ability, recording features and MIDI implementation make the ASQ-10 one of the best stand-alone MIDI sequencers around. (1986/7)"

its like the mpc 60s sequencer without the sampler. I want to use it with a rackmount sampler like a yamaha a5000 or akai s5000.

• Not me

• mpc2000xl
    used to rock a 2000
    but the 2000 would freeze too much
    ouch
    peace

• Not me

ack (sorry). i always thought that this looks like a "real-life" nintendo 64 graphic or something out of the music video:

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I fucked around with the asq-10...pretty lame.
    I still own a SP1200 and 2 MPC3000, but i just use the 3000 nowadays, mostly for the sequencer and the drums.I'm thinking about dropping it for a 2500 and my MBox. I became a Pro-Tools freak over the years. Can't believe it...

• 2000XL with the EB16 and card-reader and a 1000 that i've not gotten round to putting the JJ on it yet

• 2000XL with the EB16 and card-reader and a 1000 that i've not gotten round to putting the JJ on it yet

damn, how come i've got 2 logins? that's some crazy shit...

• ericeric 155 Posts
    2000xl

• yep. got a 2000, i don't see any need to update it.

mostly use the sp1200, i prefer that.

• Yeah, its the Betatape joint. As far as I can remember, the Tapes for the 1214 were almost impossible to get whereas the smaller akai-tape-mixers still rely on tape that can be picked up on ebay. Just quoting some jerks knowledge on this, so I might be wrong here. Let me know if you knows the true

Yes, thats an external Cardreader. Everyone can turn their Microtech into an external Unit if you get the right casing and wire up the scsi by yourself. You can turn any internal into an external. Luckily mine was already external. Greatest thing about it is the dual ID thing. That way I can have a X-plattform card for reading beats on the computer and editing sounds and a big one with loads of partitions for backing up. So I just tell the Mp to save on the next scsi id and im good. very comfortable.

Those Akai mixers are all over the place in prices btw. .eu prices are something like 200-500 for the 12-14.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

How do you like those Aardvarks... sound wise? any leads on how I could get this fixed? Even if I do get it fixed I still need the card which I didnt think of when I bid.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Raystar,

Judging from the auction that the only problem would be those chips missing, what you need to do is track down the chip number on the actual two (?) chips themselves, buy those two chips and plug them into the sockets of the board. The hardest part would be trying to find the chip numbers if no schematics are around.

If there are more things wrong with the board...and you're not familiar with electronics...either take it to some local electronics repair shop and pay more loot...or count your losses...

Tracking down a schematic is your best bet or if someone from the boards would be kind enough to open theirs and give you the numbers on top of the chips, it would be a good start. I doubt you will find a schematic being that most companies are secretive about their stuff. I always consider Rane one of the best audio companies because ALL their schematics are there on their web site and if you ever have any problem, you can get a schematic and figure it out yourself granted you know some stuff about electronics.

The PCI card is something you'll have to track down on your own.

• 2500 over here.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

i haven't touched samplers in years

it may be time to ebay

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Raystar,
    ...if someone from the boards would be kind enough to open theirs and give you the numbers on top of the chips, it would be a good start. I doubt you will find a schematic being that most companies are secretive about their stuff...

I never thought of that... this is actually my second Aardvark, I can open my first one and take a look see... Thanks for the idea.