so who here owns an MPC?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
and what model? i roll with the 2000xl. anyone use a mv8800?

Comments

• OG mpc3000, baby.

Only had it a few months. For the last few years I had been doing software but now it's all MPC.

Of course I'm still using software, the brain is the MPC.

Maybe got samples and a beat running on the mpc. Midi that to the 808 for some bass or claps. Another midi chord to protools where I have a reason sampler with a bass or keys, being played with a keyboard connected to the MPC.

Good times, good times.

My Roger Linn MPC3000 by AKAI

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    2000xl here

• MortiMorti 68 Posts

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    500 for the road

4000 for the studio

• MortiMorti 68 Posts
    I forgot, 2000xlmcd live

• 2000xl here

• i make most of my beats on the mpc or the sp1200.. the sp303 is for fx & compression & djing & radio jingles, and i think that the ASR X is a bitch to work with compaerd to the 1200 and the MPC...

www.myspace.com/fredfades

• Man fred... you got the studio I want to have in a few years.

I got a 2000xl and I love it.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

• Man fred... you got the studio I want to have in a few years.

I got a 2000xl and I love it.

yes, ive tried ALL the mpcs except the 4000, and the 2000xl with the fx card is my favourite.. man i mean, i do all my basslines on it, i do all my mixing inside the box, i dont use my mixer for anything else than run different samplers and the synth and the decks and a mic through it.. the mpc 2000 xl is the ultimate machine for me, i like the 3000 alot also, but it doesnt have the fx card, (which i use in about 99% of my beats, love the filters, and i use the distortion thing sometimes, and i like the mod thing).. i love the sp1200 also, its very easy to use, and the sound is CRAZY, but i need to get myself an akai s950, and im also going to buy myself an tl audio fat compressor also, then i will feel totally complete, maybe sell the nordlead and get my self a moog..im also collecting percussion instruments. using them all day.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I got the normal 2000. Never got used to the wheel on the XL. I think they should have kept the 2000 wheel on all machines even with the cost because it felt like a downgrade when I first tried the XL. The XL wheel *REALLY* slows down the whole editing/chopping phase big time. When I'm in NY the studio I work out of uses 2000 xl's and 2500's and I hate using them because it takes much longer to get across wav's, but maybe it's just because I'm used to the 2000. I've had to replace my screen twice and the buttons a couple of times, but I do it myself so it's pretty cheap (cost of parts) and takes maybe 20 minutes out of my day.

• XL all day, er'day..

Lumin that 60 looks SICK with the card reader. I gotta get one for my XL, I'm so damn tired of Zip disks. If I get another 'disk read error'..

I just recently copped one of those Shure SM57 mics so I can sample myself playing percussion instruments.

I was messing with that Nord Lead out at Pianos 'n Stuff..that thing is SERIOUS! A Moog would be dope too though. I would like to get a Micromoog one day.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Lumin that 60 looks SICK with the card reader. I gotta get one for my XL, I'm so damn tired of Zip disks. If I get another 'disk read error'..

I used to get this all the time until I stopped saving "all sequences". I haven't got a disk read error AT ALL since I saved each sequence as .MID. A rep at Akai (after a long talk) admitted to me there is a flaw in their OS that will cause the disk read error's if you save "all sequence". I used to know the steps to re-create the problem, but it's been so long since I had this issues it's left my brain. The key was it was all based around saving all sequences. Try saving .MID one by one (yes a pain, I know) and it should get rid of that problem. I have NEVER had a read error on a floppy or zip disk in which I saved .mid and I've been doing that for maybe 3 years now. Before that it would be maybe 20% of my disks got that error.

• When I'm in NY the studio I work out of uses 2000 xl's and 2500's and I hate using them because it takes much longer to get across wav's, but maybe it's just because I'm used to the 2000.

Shift + Note Variation Slider?! Please tell me you knew about this.

I've got a 2000xl with all the upgrades. I've been ignoring the fx card for the past couple of years, but lately I've been getting back into using it. I gotta say that I never use the filters, though. Any tips, Fredfades?

I got the card reader 6 months ago and I heartily recommend it.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    When I'm in NY the studio I work out of uses 2000 xl's and 2500's and I hate using them because it takes much longer to get across wav's, but maybe it's just because I'm used to the 2000.

Shift + Note Variation Slider?! Please tell me you knew about this.

I've got a 2000xl with all the upgrades. I've been ignoring the fx card for the past couple of years, but lately I've been getting back into using it. I gotta say that I never use the filters, though. Any tips, Fredfades?

I got the card reader 6 months ago and I heartily recommend it.

No, I didn't know about it. Like I said, it might just be the fact I'm used to the 2000 so I had no real reason to use the note variation slider. So if the wav is 780999 for example you can use the shift+slider to move the highlight to the 8 so I can change the # to 770999 with a one degree turn? Then I can move to the second 9 and with another 1 degree turn change it to 770989? If so, that will make the XL a little better for me. I want to be able to move ANY of the single digits in the wav with one turn. That is what i haven't learned to do on the XL. Mind you I never read a manual on the XL nor has anyone showed me how to use it...lol Thanks a million if this works!

• No, I didn't know about it. Like I said, it might just be the fact I'm used to the 2000 so I had no real reason to use the note variation slider. So if the wav is 780999 for example you can use the shift+slider to move the highlight to the 8 so I can change the # to 770999 with a one degree turn? Then I can move to the second 9 and with another 1 degree turn change it to 770989? If so, that will make the XL a little better for me. I want to be able to move ANY of the single digits in the wav with one turn. That is what i haven't learned to do on the XL. Mind you I never read a manual on the XL nor has anyone showed me how to use it...lol Thanks a million if this works!

Not exactly. To do that, I think you need to hold down shift and use the arrows under the wheel. So if you have a sample like 217941 then pressing the arrow left twice would take you to the '9'.

Still, I can't imagine editing samples without using the slider. It's like shift+slider to quickly get the start and end points roughly where they ought to be and then the wheel to fine-tune.

• I want to be able to move ANY of the single digits in the wav with one turn.

On the 2000XL, if you have a wave that is 780999, you can just hold the shift button and move the cursor to the left or right.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

XL all day, er'day..

I just recently copped one of those Shure SM57 mics so I can sample myself playing percussion instruments.

I was messing with that Nord Lead out at Pianos 'n Stuff..that thing is SERIOUS! A Moog would be dope too though. I would like to get a Micromoog one day.

you shouldnt have too hard a time findin a microtech pcd 47. i see them on ebay every week.
    if you have the 60 or the 3000 then you are in for an adventure trying to locate a reader that will work.
    im not sure if its a 2000 issue, but i never had problems with the disk read errors... maybe one time due to a bad disk. havent had any problems with my card reader though. thank the good lord for helpin me find one. it took me about 3 or 4 months. maybe longer

• there's a PCD-47B up right now..it's the only one up though. How much did yours cost? I know MPCStuff.com sells drives, but $150 is just..ouch.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Bought a 60 mk2 in '95,

sold it for a 2000XL when they came out ,
    traded it for a 3000,
    just sold the 3000 & card reader due to lack of use,
    trying to get down with Ableton right now.

I've never seen a 60 with a card reader installed, impressive.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Me, I'm on the MPC1000 and I'm just wondering: Anyone else got it and using the hacked OS that those Japanes dudes made? What new functions are there? I'm gonna install it some day and try it but I'm just wary of any problems that might arise...

The site is here:

MPC1000 hacked OS

• Me, I'm on the MPC1000 and I'm just wondering: Anyone else got it and using the hacked OS that those Japanes dudes made? What new functions are there? I'm gonna install it some day and try it but I'm just wary of any problems that might arise...

The site is here:

MPC1000 hacked OS

I have an MPC1000 with JJ/OS, it's a great improvement on the Akai OS, if you don't like it you can re-install the original. It's a bargain considering it's only $30 with free updates for life !!!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Me, I'm on the MPC1000 and I'm just wondering: Anyone else got it and using the hacked OS that those Japanes dudes made? What new functions are there? I'm gonna install it some day and try it but I'm just wary of any problems that might arise...

The site is here:

MPC1000 hacked OS

I have an MPC1000 with JJ/OS, it's a great improvement on the Akai OS, if you don't like it you can re-install the original. It's a bargain considering it's only $30 with free updates for life !!!

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it out. Something to hold me over until I buy one of those 50 replicators from RZA... My people are working on it.

• Lumin that 60 looks SICK with the card reader. I gotta get one for my XL, I'm so damn tired of Zip disks. If I get another 'disk read error'..

I used to get this all the time until I stopped saving "all sequences". I haven't got a disk read error AT ALL since I saved each sequence as .MID. A rep at Akai (after a long talk) admitted to me there is a flaw in their OS that will cause the disk read error's if you save "all sequence". I used to know the steps to re-create the problem, but it's been so long since I had this issues it's left my brain. The key was it was all based around saving all sequences. Try saving .MID one by one (yes a pain, I know) and it should get rid of that problem. I have NEVER had a read error on a floppy or zip disk in which I saved .mid and I've been doing that for maybe 3 years now. Before that it would be maybe 20% of my disks got that error.

Yep, I always use .MID. I haven't used .ALL since I first started using the MP in 2000, but I still get these crappy disk read errors. I usually don't have more than 1-2 sequences per beat, so it's not that big a deal for me to save each sequence. I Must get card reader ASAP! What OS are you running on yours?
    Mine's is running 1.14, but once I get the card reader, I think I should move up to 1.20.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

Yep, I always use .MID. I haven't used .ALL since I first started using the MP in 2000, but I still get these crappy disk read errors. I usually don't have more than 1-2 sequences per beat, so it's not that big a deal for me to save each sequence. I Must get card reader ASAP! What OS are you running on yours?
    Mine's is running 1.14, but once I get the card reader, I think I should move up to 1.20.

you could save some loot and get a SCSI hard drive on the cheap. I think the 2kxl can only support a 20 gig.

• Rocking the 3k with (double id card reader).
    Love it, wouldnt go back to the 2kxl I used up untill like 2005 if someone paid me for it. love this baby. never nothing else

Trying to get me a

to go with it. Armrest

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    MPC 60 MKII with a SCSI hard drive. Wish I had the CF Reader, but 4 gigs is more space than I'll ever need, and it's so much faster than floppies. Still working on getting the Ableton + MPC combo working how I want it and really mastering the editing functions on the MPC.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    there's a PCD-47B up right now..it's the only one up though. How much did yours cost? I know MPCStuff.com sells drives, but $150 is just..ouch.

well i have a pcd 25. and i found one new online. last one left. bought it for around $300. it hurt since just months earlier i bought one on ebay for $15.
    but that one gave out on me and i couldnt find a replacement for months. im actually glad i went with a new one.

and on the internal card reader on the 60, i havent seen too many cats try it, at least not online. i told forat what i wanted to do and he asked if he could work on mine since he hadnt had anyone request to put an internal in the 60. he wanted to fiddle with it to see wassup with the settings and what not. everything came out straight. i dont believe there was anything different that needed to be done other than termination.

yo if you dont mind me askin, what hard drive do you use with the 60? ive been wanting to get a backup for this card reader and that may be exactly what im needin.

• do you think the PCD-25 would work with the XL, or is that mainly for 60s and 3000s?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The hard drive I got with another sampler that I bought used an ended up selling (Roland VP-9000, hated it). I don't have a clue what model or brand, but it works. My understanding is that as long as it's the older kind of SCSI (SCSI 100 I think??) and not one of the newer kinds, you're good to go. Mine formatted real strangely though - the drive hung up during part of the formatting, but I turned it off and suddenly everything was working perfectly. I'm crossing my fingers - I'll probably get an old PowerPC Mac to backup the drive.

Oh yeah, and no matter how big the drive, you can only ever access 4 GBs at most, and each partition has to be 27 megs. But you know this from the card reader.