War of the Worlds

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
I don't think anyone has posted about this yet...Just saw it last night, and I gotta say... going into the theatre with really low expectations, I was actually blown away. If you like sci-fi... check this shit out.Has anyone seen it yet? What are your opinions? Seriously on some edge-of-your-seat type steez. Peace...FNM

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Just saw it last night, and I gotta say... going into the theatre with really low expectations, I was actually blown away.

TOTALLY AGREE. I had a free ticket so I went. The movie was like a really bad nightmare (I mean that as a complement). Spielberg made everything really come to life. The plot was basically this: run for your life. But he kept the suspense going throughout. For those of you who hate Tom Cruise, you could probably still enjoy this movie...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    skip the last 10 HALLMARK minutes.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i am a big fan of the book and the radio broadcast, and aside from being rubbed the wrong way with speilburg changing the story alot, i enjoyed the film, its worth a watch based on suspense alone...

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Thought it was lame! Basically all about him & his kids, then alien threats in between. Was unimpressed and feeling slightly dumbed down by it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    skip the last 10 HALLMARK minutes.

I am really concerned about the ending but I might just peep this movie.

I thought this thread was going to be about eBeef but I guess not, lol.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Thought it was lame! Basically all about him & his kids, then alien threats in between. Was unimpressed and feeling slightly dumbed down by it.

It's a summer "popcorn" movie. It's supposed to be dumb.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    Saw it yesterday to get outta the house (no A/C, in Phoenix! )
    how the fuck?
    swamp cooler? nothing?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

AC broke, waiting for the replacement.. going on one week. Between 11pm and 9am it actually isnt too bad with the fan in the window. I can sleep at least.

Oh yeah, Im also

Do you do business with C********** A** by any chance?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Do you do business with C********** A** by any chance?

Nevermind...It's an air conditioning company in the valley. I thought the incompetence was on their part.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Okay movie. I was hoping for something a little better. Too much like Signs really.

• This movie scared the fuck out of me.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    German critics say that the movie is totally boring. The usual Spielberg film with lots of American patriotism. Same as Batman Begins. Lame stories about terroristic strangers threatening the freedom of heroic Americans. Don't get it wrong, I enjoy most of those movies and don't take the subliminal political messages too serious, but critics over here are truly pissed by Hollywood movies these days. They stress that there's too much political influence combined with cheap stories. Mostly, stragers are being presented as horrifying threads that force someone to take serious action. Where's the love for and of different life-forms?

What do you think? I mean the production of War of the Worlds is great, but aren't the big movie themes all the same? Isn't it getting boring?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    German critics say that the movie is totally boring. The usual Spielberg film with lots of American patriotism. Same as Batman Begins. Lame stories about terroristic strangers threatening the freedom of heroic Americans. Don't get it wrong, I enjoy most of those movies and don't take the subliminal political messages too serious, but critics over here are truly pissed by Hollywood movies these days. They stress that there's too much political influence combined with cheap stories. Mostly, stragers are being presented as horrifying threads that force someone to take serious action. Where's the love for and of different life-forms?

What do you think? I mean the production of War of the Worlds is great, but aren't the big movie themes all the same? Isn't it getting boring?

terroristic strangers? I thought this shit was about REAL aliens.

Mabye you're thinking of jerry brukheimer or something.

Or idependence day.

• German critics say that the movie is totally boring. The usual Spielberg film with lots of American patriotism. Same as Batman Begins. Lame stories about terroristic strangers threatening the freedom of heroic Americans. Don't get it wrong, I enjoy most of those movies and don't take the subliminal political messages too serious, but critics over here are truly pissed by Hollywood movies these days. They stress that there's too much political influence combined with cheap stories. Mostly, stragers are being presented as horrifying threads that force someone to take serious action. Where's the love for and of different life-forms?

Yeah man, I'm sorry... That sounds like a buncha bullshit to me. And I'm sorry... but is German film even giving anyone a run for their money? Maybe they are, but not that I know of. You don't see American critics panning German films, and why's that?

Anyhow, about WOTW... The story was written by H.G. Wells, and the theme in the movie is, as someone said earlier... run for your life. No, you say that theme is getting old? Maybe... But it's tried and true. That kinda shit makes for a fun ass movie. And I didn't see any patriotic shit in the movie, and Cruise doesn't play the part of the hero... Sure, he takes one of the tripods down, but he was just as fucked as everyone else. And you get a good sense in the movie, and they repeat it constantly, that the shit is worldwide, it ain't America vs. the aliens, or Tom Cruise vs. the aliens. Lets see Germany make a decent alien takeover movie...

Peace...
    FNM

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    This movie scared the fuck out of me.

mos def an edge-of-your-seater.. besides the obvious 'run for your life' theme, it was the underlying themes that made this one worth admission.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

when i saw the posters in the bart tunnel i immediatly thought the same thing. they are going to try to cash in on peoples fear of terrorism ? sort of like back in the 50s when everyone was afraid of communism there were all these movies about aliens coming to invade us.

that said i haven't even seen it and probably won't til it's playing on hbo then i probably won't even.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Dave,

it's REALLY good. You should go see it instead of having your opinion shaped by an ad.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yeah man, I'm sorry... That sounds like a buncha bullshit to me. And I'm sorry... but is German film even giving anyone a run for their money? Maybe they are, but not that I know of. You don't see American critics panning German films, and why's that?

Anyhow, about WOTW... The story was written by H.G. Wells, and the theme in the movie is, as someone said earlier... run for your life. No, you say that theme is getting old? Maybe... But it's tried and true. That kinda shit makes for a fun ass movie. And I didn't see any patriotic shit in the movie, and Cruise doesn't play the part of the hero... Sure, he takes one of the tripods down, but he was just as fucked as everyone else. And you get a good sense in the movie, and they repeat it constantly, that the shit is worldwide, it ain't America vs. the aliens, or Tom Cruise vs. the aliens. Lets see Germany make a decent alien takeover movie...

Peace...
    FNM

You're right. I don't think that there are any good German movies nowadays. Like I said, I like most Hollywood movies. It's the critics that are getting mad. I've seen a TV show where a famous movie critic or reviewer talked about the newer US movies. Left me kinda shooked, because I never thought about it before. I disagree too. War of the Worlds is an old theme. Maybe that critic was getting sick of all the fighting scenes and armaggedon type stuff. Batman is kinda lame though.

Did you ever watch the movie Adaption by Spike Jonze featuring Nicholas Cage. Great stuff. Great theme, great actors! I'd love to see some more movies like that. Not that I disliked War of the Worlds though.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Peace...
    FNM

I don't agree....

.. just my opinion of course but to me, right now hollywood shit isn't worth "the price of admissin" in theathers.......especially now.....

...I know most of you are americans and very proud of your filmakin history,
    but I really think at this point in time Hollywood is comin out with too much crap....

I'm not referring to W.O.W. but some of the most acclaimed movies of the last year,I felt like it wasn't worth the hype (Collateral, Ray, etc)

.............the problem for example screenplays are not good anymore as it used to be

maybe it's just me, cause I'm too much into different kind of movies

I loved the "New Hollywood" 70's filmakin'...

those movies were all abt dialogues and stories and very little abt Special FX........today movies are the opposite

I don't know maybe I just checked the wrong flicks

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i thought the ending was pretty wak. classic spielberg has no balls, tear jerker ending. plus i thought it was kinda anti-climactic. i was enjoying myself until then though.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I saw this last Friday. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but alien movies scare me more than anything else, especially that movie Signs. Unlike Signs, though, this movie made me feel more disturbed than fearful. Also unlike Signs, once the aliens walked onstage, I started laughing.

Rule #1[/b]
    Do no show the aliens themselves.

Rule #2[/b]
    If a giant explosion goes off in the vicinity of someone, they must die.

Bonus hilarity:
    The row of teenagers behind us did not approve of the ending. Of course, a more wise film producer would realize the lackluster ending of The War of the Worlds as a movie compared to a narrative. Unfortunately, these kids were unfamiliar with the original plot; thus, they were left blue-balled.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    People need to see this movie in the theatre, not on TV/HBO etc.

I was on the edge of my seat through alot of it. Granted, the story is pretty simple; aliens come to kill everybody/run for your life and try to survive, but the way it was presented made it scary. I hate large crowds of people so seeing everyone turn Mad Max in a matter of days was bugged out in and of itself. The effects looked real as hell but I agree, the ending lacked balls. Tidy endings like that are always a let down.

It was good for what it was. Just don't go in expecting Fellini, go in to escape for 2 hours.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    People need to see this movie in the theatre, not on TV/HBO etc.

I was on the edge of my seat through alot of it. Granted, the story is pretty simple; aliens come to kill everybody/run for your life and try to survive, but the way it was presented made it scary. I hate large crowds of people so seeing everyone turn Mad Max in a matter of days was bugged out in and of itself. The effects looked real as hell but I agree, the ending lacked balls. Tidy endings like that are always a let down.
    It was good for what it was. Just don't go in expecting Fellini, go in to escape for 2 hours.

I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. This invasion theme is so worn out.
    Plus,I cant mess with Tom Cruise.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    go in to escape for 2 hours.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i thought the ending was pretty wak. classic spielberg has no balls, tear jerker ending. plus i thought it was kinda anti-climactic. i was enjoying myself until then though.

I'm surprised how many people aren't aware of the ending. It's the same as the OG version. No surprise there. I'm actually glad Spielberg stuck to it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I'm surprised how many people aren't aware of the ending. It's the same as the OG version. No surprise there. I'm actually glad Spielberg stuck to it.

In the original 50s version of the movie the aliens get a cold and all die. It's just as abrupt as the new version.

• Plus,I cant mess with Tom Cruise.

I hate to admit it, but he was pretty good in this one.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Why are people aggy over Tom Cruise?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I want to see this. I can't lie, the preview had me shook.

• i thought the ending was pretty wak. classic spielberg has no balls, tear jerker ending. plus i thought it was kinda anti-climactic. i was enjoying myself until then though.

I hear you, but what I'm saying is that the "..until then..." is worth the price of admission. And I do think this is a movie that should be seen in a theatre. To see the first tripod stand up, blow its fog horn while the humans watch curiously, and then begin to lay waste to everything in site... shit was undeniably cool if you like sci-fi. Seriously... once the storm starts (and thats a damn cool scene in and of itself), it's pretty much non-stop until the end... Then you have 5 minutes or so of cheesey shit where people hug... forget about it. I really thought Speilberg would make a sappy picture, but he didn't really. You got the family drama in the very beginning, and at the very end, and the rest of the movie is, dare I say, exciting as hell.

And damn, but I gotta agree... I actually liked Tom Cruise in this. On a related note, today at school, the Japanese I was working with told me alot of Japanese think Tom Cruise is has LD, or learning disability, and that he cannot read, but memorizes the words to the script.