ARHOOLE RECORDS (rep some)

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I picked up the other day. I realized my arhoole collection is tiny. All I have have is that and two Fred McDowell records. Rep some others that you would reccomend on this label. Thanks...

Comments

• I like the few non-blues LPs on the label as well:

smiley winters - "smiley etc."
    luna - "space swell"
    sonny simmons - "manhattan egos"
    now creative arts jazz ensemble

Very nice and still inexpensive titles for an independent label.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    BONGO JOE

• That live Big Mama Thorton LP "Ball and Chain"..."Wade in the Water" is THE version of that tune IMO....what a killer. Also there is a track by Larry Williams(different dude than the rocker on Specialty) on there that is top shelf.

• BLACK ACE

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Clifton Chenier
    Mance Lipscomb

And I should also remind you that Arhoolie is still in business: of the current crop, the Pine Leaf Boys are a damned fine Cajun band considering that they're all in their twenties. And most of their "sacred steel" acts (gospel artists who use steel guitar) from the nineties are pretty good as well, like the Campbell Bros. or Aubrey Ghent.

I like the few non-blues LPs on the label as well:

luna - "space swell"

Well, Arhoolie is still in business and probably kept those titles in print a long time, which is probably why they're reasonably priced.

This label is known for its' blues, but over the last 10-15 years has been doing more cajun and zydeco than anything. As far as jazz, I do know that in 1971 Arhoolie owner Chris Strachwitz announced to Living Blues magazine that he was done releasing that music because he couldn't sell it (that Now Creative Arts Ensemble was the lowest-selling Arhoolie record up to then). I don't know if he's released any more jazz since that time, however...

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    And most of their "sacred steel" acts (gospel artists who use steel guitar) from the nineties are pretty good as well, like the Campbell Bros. or Aubrey Ghent.
    I am on a gospel kick lately, I will have to check this out.

luna - "space swell"

Well, Arhoolie is still in business and probably kept those titles in print a long time, which is probably why they're reasonably priced.

I sorta doubt they kept the weirder titles in print for very long.

• i do remember seeing a few of the manhattan egos at the shop not too long ago. like brand new and stuff too. oh yeah, and there's a good sushi spot owned by the same folks that own kirala right around there. i forget the name right now.

• I like this one, especially the title track.

• I like the few non-blues LPs on the label as well:

luna - "space swell"

Yeah, it's more likely the case that they didn't sell out of the original run and still have some copies on hand at the warehouse vs. them reprinting copies. Anyone else have luck in the record room at Down Home (Arhoolie-connected retail store)? It can be bone dry sometimes but I've picked some winners there.

luna - "space swell"

I just checked Arhoolie's online catalog: http://www.arhoolie.com/catalog/alphabetical.html, and you can still get the Sonny Simmons and the Smiley Winters on CD.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

luna - "space swell"

Yeah, it's more likely the case that they didn't sell out of the original run and still have some copies on hand at the warehouse vs. them reprinting copies. Anyone else have luck in the record room at Down Home (Arhoolie-connected retail store)? It can be bone dry sometimes but I've picked some winners there.

I've found some nice Soul 45s there.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've tried to like that Luna record a couple of times. It seems right up my alley, but just leaves me .

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I ride for 'Smiley etc.'

• I ride for 'Smiley etc.'

It's not good as the al tanner quintet on touche, but I do too.
    "Space Swell" is an acquired taste...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    And most of their "sacred steel" acts (gospel artists who use steel guitar) from the nineties are pretty good as well, like the Campbell Bros. or Aubrey Ghent.
    I am on a gospel kick lately, I will have to check this out.

Meet the Campbell Bros.
    Shit will make you get religion.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Earl Hooker 'Wah Wah Blues' is a nice 45 on Arhoolie. I like their compilation LPs, I'll try & dig some out tonight to post up. Great label.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

luna - "space swell"

I've found some nice Soul 45s there.

I forgot to tell you Jesse, right after you told me about it I went and found some clean and cheap Stax 45s, UK motown 45s, Lyn Collins, etc. I live real close and had never found anything there before though. I got the same grumble answer when I asked about the new boxes.

Their LP section is kind of a joke though unless you're looking for international/traditional music that is not sought after. It is THE spot though for Zydeco music, a family friend who played accordian for the Zydeco Flames moved more records through them than all other retail spots combined.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    And this is my fav LP. Houston's finest.

• Lots of great old-time music on Arhoolie as well. Pulled this one out again last week. Probably my favorite on the label.

Straight from the current online Arhoolie catalog:

"COUNTRY NEGRO JAM SESSION" various artists; CD 372

Exceptionally raw acoustic blues recordings from the Delta in the sixties. I have this on vinyl (and possibly on another label - Blues Classics, I think?), really good record.

"MISSISSIPPI DELTA BLUES JAM IN MEMPHIS" Volume 1; various artists; CD 385
    MISSISSIPPI DELTA BLUES JAM IN MEMPHIS" Volume 2; CD 386

Both of these albums originally came out as one double set on Blue Thumb in 1969 (as Memphis Swamp Jam) and features Fred McDowell, Furry Lewis and other giants tearing it up...