Marvin Gaye.

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I have been on a bit of a Marvin Gaye trip for the last couple weeks,and then a friend sends me this:

The 1983 All-Star game at the Great Western Forum.God damn.Marvin Gaye man, Marvin Gaye.

Comments

• You should check out his 80's record "Masochistic Love" where he raps about spanking in a Brittish accent.

But for the record, my favourite soul artist of all time.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    that was

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I have been on a bit of a Marvin Gaye trip for the last couple weeks,

and then a friend sends me this:

The 1983 All-Star game at the Great Western Forum.

God damn.

Marvin Gaye man, Marvin Gaye.

Man, I was like "oh yeah, I haven't seen this in a minute" and by the very end when the crowd goes crazy I was getting all teary eyed. Dude was in a lot pain (and probably really coked up) around that time. That was shortly before he was killed and things were pretty bad.

He had a way of expressing the pain (and joy) inside of him with complete honesty and it showed in the music. I think that's what makes artists like him and Donny Hathaway resonate with so many people to this day.
    People need to get on that spiritual level. I need to get on that level.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Youtube thing isn't coming up onscreen at this moment, but I'm assuming this is a clip of Marvin singing "The Star-Spangled Banner," which was a big deal at the time.

I remember a Chicago DJ (the same one who burned the disco records in Comiskey Park during a baseball game!) used to play this all the time...from the way the crowd screamed, I thought for sure he was probably bumping and grinding or something to get that kind of response...then I saw the audio, and saw all my man had to do was stand stock still...and the females STILL went crazy...you GO, Marvin...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Man, I was like "oh yeah, I haven't seen this in a minute" and by the very end when the crowd goes crazy I was getting all teary eyed. Dude was in a lot pain (and probably really coked up) around that time. That was shortly before he was killed and things were pretty bad.

He had a way of expressing the pain (and joy) inside of him with complete honesty and it showed in the music. I think that's what makes artists like him and Donny Hathaway resonate with so many people to this day.
    People need to get on that spiritual level. I need to get on that level.

all of the above. Considering the beat he's singing over the rawness of the emotion that comes through is almost overwhelming.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I want to say this was voted in the top two or three National Anthems all time in some non-scientific ESPN poll.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    from the way the crowd screamed, I thought for sure he was probably bumping and grinding or something to get that kind of response...then I saw the audio, and saw all my man had to do was stand stock still...and the females STILL went crazy

He apparently had bouts of stage fright through his whole career end and really struggled with the whole sex symbol on stage thing and wanting to be taken seriously. I think he was pulled in a lot of different directions, even by himself.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That was absolutely amazing - just untouchable really.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• This got put out on a bad 80's comp called

MARVIN GAYE - a Musical Testement 1964 - 1984

The comp is bad but it was the first time that version was put on wax.

I floored me!

I used to give it LOTS of listens!!!

Might put it on NOW!

• I think he was pulled in a lot of different directions, even by himself.

marving gaye - it's a desperate situation (1968

• haych3haych3 20 Posts
    a woman at work love's marvin so a pal did this for her...
    [/img]

and this hangs over his fire...
    [/img]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Drum Machine National Anthem......

I remember when it was on tv.