I was sampled! UK rap related

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm googling my name (because I do that), and I come across an album by a Welsh producer called Metabeats with two tracks called "Dan Zacks". Mine is not an especially common name, so I'm a little intrigued, but I figure that along with the Metabeats mainstays (OPTIMAS PRIME, QUIET POISON, RALPH RIPSHIT[/b] (best name ever!), RUFFSTYLZ, MUDMOWTH, C MINUS, SKAMMA, PERGYL, beleaf, HEKLA, KUSHA & JOE BLOW) there's some dude name 'Dan Zacks'. So I listen to the mp3 samples available here: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/287489-01.htm and, gee whiz, Dan Zacks is me. Dude took samples of Waxing Deep--lame samples, I might add, although one is before I'm about to chat with crinky--and played them over his beats. I'm an interlude on some dude's hiphop album! Dig: Here is what some website says about it:Leaden beats, uninspired scratching and tired, aggressive raps left me feeling thoroughly discouraged; if this is the best that UK hip hop has to offer, then we might as well just pull out the London Posse CDs now. But then, on track 4, the bizarre skit entitled ???Dan Zacks???, it all starts to look a lot brighter: it sees a cheesy American DJ rambling over a choice soul sample; sounds weird, but it works[/b].So is Metabeats the future? Is Waxing Deep destined for UK glory? I don't know a thing about UK hip hop and I don't know Metabeats. I'm not entirely comfortably with being a cheesy American DJ, but what the hell, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about, or so they say. At least folks in Wales are digging Waxing Deep.I hereby formally request that AKO name the next track after "Hammer" "Cheesy American DJ".

Comments

• You are Hip Hop.

• I know a producer from their crew "Associated Minds", these guys are fairly popular in the tiny UK hip hop scene and that album is getting a bunch of attention at the moment, Welsh hip hop is on the come up, although i'm not feeling a lot of it...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    See, he called you cheesy and that's bad enough, but then he said you're American, and that's just crossing a line, ya know?!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I predict an increase of callers to Waxing Deep from the UK as well...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    My lawyer is telling me to sue. Or at least waive my right to sue for some of the green pictured on the back jacket.

• Im telling you to sue for some of the green pictured on the back jacket.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    For years, I've been saying that Danno is the future of hip hop. Deal with it.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Definately give them a holla man, let em know you spotted it and ask them what they want to do. I don't suppose they're s, and the fact they have a bigger crew than the wu means it'd be even harder to see any money. But they should know that you're on to them, and come up with something to trade.

So I guess people sampling mp3's is becoming more common?

Definately give them a holla man, let em know you spotted it and ask them what they want to do. I don't suppose they're s, and the fact they have a bigger crew than the wu means it'd be even harder to see any money. But they should know that you're on to them, and come up with something to trade.

So I guess people sampling mp3's is becoming more common?

I don't think it's sampling in the traditional sense. They took full minutes (not seconds) of my radio programme and laid beats underneath. I certainly possess a copyright in the content I create for my show and they are using it without license, which is no different than using a song I wrote and recorded without license, but I'm not bothered. I'm just a little taken aback that they did it and then used my name as the track title. Twice. Actually, I think it's great.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm waiting for an Ako & Dan release. Call it "Young, Gifted, & Melatoninly Challenged".

• What you need to do is hit up Metabeats[/b] and let them know whats up. Get them to pull the record. But before you do buy up as many copies as possible. Then when the record is pulled sling them on the bay as raer heaters that got pulled due to sample clearance. Easy, problem solved...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Welsh hip hop is on the come up, although i'm not feeling a lot of it...

LOL! "Welsh hip-hop?" THAT is funny. Do they rap in the Welsh language or in English?

• Welsh hip hop is on the come up, although i'm not feeling a lot of it...

LOL! "Welsh hip-hop?" THAT is funny. Do they rap in the Welsh language or in English?

Haha, yeah, a lot of people say that. They rap in English...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I might add, although one is before I'm about to chat with crinky

I WAS SO CLOSE TO BEING SAMPLED

IT'S JUST NOT FAIR

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's some Welsh-language rap out there. I couldn't testify for the quality of it, though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What's the loop underneath your voice, Dan? Herbie?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What's the loop underneath your voice, Dan? Manchild?

• Definately give them a holla man, let em know you spotted it and ask them what they want to do.

The scene is so small over here that releases like this hardly ever make back the money it cost to produce the CD???s.
    They are proper enthusiast, when I left an Atmosphere jam in London last year some of them had drove all the way from Wales to London just to knock out CD outside the show! Anyway as I waked past their car they said ???here mate have on of these??? and gave me their CD for nothing, top guys, and it was some good shit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

LOL! "Welsh hip-hop?" THAT is funny.

I have a decent 12" by a Welsh rap crew called Parlour Talk that DJ OneCut used in his Cut-Conspiracy Session for Solid Steel in 2001. The single is called Old, New & Blue. It's in English, cool bass-line/sample... the raps are pretty funny, and best of all, they don't grate on the ears like some/lots of UK stuff.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Truely bizare.

• Welsh hip hop is on the come up, although i'm not feeling a lot of it...

I have a decent 12" by a Welsh rap crew called Parlour Talk that DJ OneCut used in his Cut-Conspiracy Session for Solid Steel in 2001. The single is called Old, New & Blue. It's in English, cool bass-line/sample... the raps are pretty funny, and best of all, they don't grate on the ears like some/lots of UK stuff.

Nah, Parlour Talk are from Bristol...

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's some Welsh-language rap out there. I couldn't testify for the quality of it, though.

I quite like this one.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Nah, Parlour Talk are from Bristol...

, well... close? Ish? Their West-country burr is pretty thick...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That is a great video! When I do my first hip hop single, the video is going to be filmed in my local squash club.

Of course the Strut generated a moment.

The crew sent me a lovely email explaining their intentions, encouraging me not to sue (which, it seems needless to say, I was only kidding about), and explaining a little about themselves. Now I'm just flattered; it's really gratifying to learn that creative types in Wales are enjoying Waxing Deep enough to put my name on their album. I wish them nothing but success and hope that they're kind enough to send groupies Waxing Deep's way. Go support Welsh hip hop.