your favorite break

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
whats your all time favorite drum break?i cant decide, maybe "Soul Pride"

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    tie: impeach and substitution. stein. .

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    All time favorite? Impeach or The Whatnauts "Why can't people be colors too."

Those Whatnauts drums are

i been looking for that whatnauts record for about 15 years now. thats h .t. f.
    stein. . .

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    OHH SHIT, forgot about the Whatnauts drums. also, although alot of cats hate on them, i love the sound of the snare and hi hat on the Power of Zeus drums. CRACKIN.

BTW Stein i gotta give you props for the breaks on the Taste The Secret album. i was listenin to it last night and the drums are real sick on the whole album. aint gonna lie though, cant deal with the rapping

thanks dude. i wont tell my partners. stein. . .

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I still haven't heard the POZ break to this day.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Get On Up, Get Into It, Get Involved.

you may heard it and just not known. they used it on the first sweetback album(sades band) and it was nice. stein. . .

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thanks for the enlightenment AI

I still haven't heard the POZ break to this day.
    shits crackin son. you've definitely heard it USED before. Beatminerz used it like 12 times on the smif n wessun record

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    ATCQ "Award Tour" ?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    stein. . .

There was this guy in Tacoma WA on the East side named Herb. Herb owned a soul/R&B record store in Tacoma in the 70s called "Star" records. He had to close the store in the late 70s and moved ALL the inventory into his garage. Herb was MAD COOL!!!!! We used to go over to his crib a lot in the early 90s. He had a stereo with a turntable set up in his garage. We would go over to his place and he would leave us alone in his garage for hours. Then when we were finally done going through a bunch of records, we would yell into the house and he would come back into the garage. Lots of these joints were sealed and all in nice condition, ALL originals. I would start showing Herb records and he would just make up prices. Chocolate Milk? Three dollars. Roy Ayers? Two dollars. It was the best garage EVER!!!! Supreme said he was there one time and he asked Herb if he had The Whatnauts "On the rocks" LP. Herb said "You want that Whatnauts album? That's an expensive one. I keep those in the bedroom." Herb came back into the garage with a clean original copy of the LP and told Supreme, "This one is fifteen dollars!"

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i meant Oh My god.

i meant Oh My god.

oh my god is the whatnauts jump. but while were on Award Tour, are those The Sons drums? never could figure it out

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You know what's a dope break that I just heard for the frist time in my life, as the record played?

Faces "Bad N' Ruin"

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    actually i think the Black Sabbath is pretty dope too.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    stein. . .

Fuck, I would really like to hear this break (maybe I already did...?)
    Somebody (if possible) please post the mp3 !!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm feelin' This Break.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    thanks dude. i wont tell my partners. stein. . .

I wanna battle your partners...

by the way I'm all about breaks in the middle of a song so I'm going to throw my vote to the Roy Head "She's About a Mover"

also gotta give it up for the Fireballs "GOMLW" and that Alberto Vasquez jawn that I laced MyLatency with

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Carl "Sherlock" Holmes - Black Flag

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    stein. . .

http://www.turntablelab.com/real2/funkinthetrunk/whatnaughts-whycantpeople.ram
    whatnauts joint courtesy of them Lab boys

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Good ol' James Brown - Funky Drummer and the Summerfest 45.

• Options
    Funk - King C

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    STEIN:

I've always enjoyed how your drums sound on your beats. Real crisp and loud. I'd love to pick your brain *pasue* about how you make your drums so "on point"

My favourtie drums break? I have a few that I like to always fuck with:

Christie McVie
    Dalton and Dubarrri
    Jo Jo Gunne
    Stanley Clarke "dancing woman"

but my new fav. shit right now is this cover band doing "Superstition" shit is so "whats really" on the drums.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    stein. . .

THANKS, sounds dope... (Tribe Called Quest used this...)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i meant Oh My god.

oh my god is the whatnauts jump. but while were on Award Tour, are those The Sons drums? never could figure it out

Sly And The Family Stone. "Take My Advice" I think (it's been forever, I can't remember all this shizz no more)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Favorite break? There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of really dope drumbreaks out there, so it's hard to say. But if you put a gun to my head and made me choose one, I guess it would be Melvin Bliss "Synthetic Substitution". I heard that record for the first time like 25 years ago and have heard it cut up, sampled and chopped up a million times since then. But if that beat comes on right now in 2005 I will STILL get that OH SH*T feelin' when I hear it. Something about the sound of the drums and the feel of those kicks that fall between the "2" and "4" snares... so funky, mane.

• I still haven't heard the POZ break to this day.
    sorcerer of isis

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Conroy Libraries - Background Rythms (Dramatic Tempre)