Mac-Strut, Leopard-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone upgrade yet? Is it all that and a bag of chips (silicon or otherwise)?

Comments

• I'd be interested to hear experiences as well. The integrated time machine (backup) software, stacks in the task bar, etc. all look very slick.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I was just looking at this today. I agree, the stacking on the desktop and time machine both look dope, but I'd like to hear some first hand accounts before dropping loot on it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    still waiting for mine in the mail. kinda excited for spaces, time mach, and cover flow. that said i know itll probly render ableton useless for a min.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Dudes. Unless you have backups (and know how to use them!) I would seriously wait at least a week or two. I know that a bunch of issues have surfaced with Parallels/Windows XP and Leopard:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=17530

Microwavers may want to hold off on this upgrade as well until everything's been fully tested--as of right now, I'd bet that the number of djs using 10.5 w/ s.erato in an actual gig environment is really, really low.

Having said that, I'm excited to test the new features out as well. Time Machine looks like the perfect backup solution--I'm hoping to set up an external drive wirelessly through airport and run daily incrementals.

:tapedglasses:

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Been hearing its not ready for studio use w/ protools (digidesign working on an update...ouch) and also lots of issues with drivers for example apogee ensemble drivers are almost unusable... now that apple and apogee are partners, it shouldnt be like this.

I'm going to wait a few months, nothing my 10.4 can't do what I need for everyday work

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah I'm not upgrading until I do a clean reinstall when I get Ableton 6.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I upgraded my 2.33 Macbook Pro using the Erase and Install option and haven't had any problems. All of my core apps CS3, Aperture, Office, Microwave, Live, etc. are all functioning without issues.

There have been some reports of problems when installing view the simple Upgrade method, but two friends I've spoken with who installed in this manner have not had issues.

Overall, the new OS isn't mind-blowing, but there are functional changes and enhancements that make sense and make it a great update.

+ iChat changes - tabs, desktop sharing, recording, etc. will likely eliminate my need to use Adium and Skype completely.

+ Integrated backups are just a good idea

+ Quicklook is nice

+ Updates to Preview were long overdue (ability to rotate, crop, etc.) and Preview PDF manipulation is hot.

+ Spotlight is much faster and functional.

+ The ability to scroll inactive windows is a simple enhancement that is beautiful.

+ Stacks are slicker and more functional than I expected.

+ Spaces are nice as well. I used VirtueDesktops for a long while... nice integration

- Mail and iCal changes were too few and don't really bring these apps to the level of complete task management solutions.

--

I have little use for Bootcamp / Parallels until a documentation project leads me to require Windows again so I've not tested.

I expect to finally use Automator in this iteration of OS X, but haven't begun to do so just yet.

++ recommended.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ichat-video/i...nsfw-315761.php

I'm waiting for my Leopard Up-to-Date Program disks in the mail.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I got it on Saturday and am feeling it tremendously.. esp the stacks... itunes-like finder... SMS Text Message in iChat!

Unfortunately... my M-Audio Firewire Recording Interface does not work and there is no driver yet for Leopard on their site... Grrrrrrrrr.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Yeah I'm not upgrading until I do a clean reinstall when I get Ableton 6.

get ableton 6 wit hthe quickness...before jan and you'll get a free update fer 7 when it drops

• parenparen 537 Posts
    the more i use this OS, the more impressed I am. Big improvements overall.

also...

Holler.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i just ordered a macbook today
    not really lookin to use it for anything but Microwave. i really really do hope Microwave works with this new OS
    ive never owned a mac so this will be a double blow to the groin if i cant get it working right

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i just ordered a macbook today
    not really lookin to use it for anything but Microwave. i really really do hope Microwave works with this new OS
    ive never owned a mac so this will be a double blow to the groin if i cant get it working right

to repeat: Microwave runs flawlessly under OS X 10.5

Screenshot of 1.7.4 running but disconnected from the SL-1 interface.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    gracias

• dayday 9,611 Posts

After mucho problemos with the install (had to make a mirror of my old HD, change the partition from Apple to GUID, erase and re-install yadda yadda - btw Migration Assistant is the SHIT!
    It put all my settings and 100+GB back in less than an hour) I am feeling the new OS.

There's some "bells and whistles" and it's not exactly a necessity, but overall I think this is a definite step up from Tiger.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Btw Paren, you are that dude and for those that are wondering, Microwave works just fine from what I can tell. Even the new beta version.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hows protools? Anybody know?

Im considering upgrading, but ive definitely heard mixed reviews. Do you guys feel that it helps the intel mac's run faster than the old os?

• I got it on Saturday and am feeling it tremendously.. esp the stacks... itunes-like finder... SMS Text Message in iChat!

Unfortunately... my M-Audio Firewire Recording Interface does not work and there is no driver yet for Leopard on their site... Grrrrrrrrr.

raj and any others with m-audio gear thats not working,

believe there is a fix for this. if you google m-audio and leopard it turns up as one of the first results. i know it works for midi controllers, pretty sure its the same for interfaces.

my imac came with a leopard disc so i've gone from tiger>leopard>tiger b/c of all the issues. my keyboard disappeared as well as the midi ports on my interface--rendering all my keys and synths useless! bungayyyy.

anyway, all that stuff has been worked out and i think im ready to try again..definitely want to erase and install this time-- think the upgrade and revert w/o erasing actually kinda fucked things up. is migration assistant the best way to do that if i wanted to maintain all my plug-ins/instruments/settings?? anyone want to shed some light on that process of backing up an image, etc.?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    is migration assistant the best way to do that if i wanted to maintain all my plug-ins/instruments/settings?? anyone want to shed some light on that process of backing up an image, etc.?

I used Super Duper to make an exact copy of my hard drive to an external, erased and installed Leopard, then used Migration Assistant to put everything back the way it was. Just make sure you make an exact copy of your HD and that it copies your old OS.

I messed up and created a new account when I re-installed (I didn't set up the new one with the exact same user name as before), but I just set it so the old account boots when it starts. If you have any questions holler.

• thanks for the overview there, much appreciated. giving this a shot now..