weekday finds

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
some highlights from today and one from a little bit ago...dumb raer...would even be considered "baller" by the most loudmouth and annoying of us...KILLER R&B, it doesnt get any better than this...will post a soundfile soon....nice track I have passed on before and regretted it, so I didnt pass on this one...top shelf, raw, funky Memphis gospela white whale, even though this is the 2nd(3rd?) press on Bethlehem and it has seen better days, it plays like a champ and will definitely do for nowgot it a couple weeks ago, but it doesnt stray far from the turntable, thought it needed to be included with the other winners on here...really great track courtesy of Agent 45(not my pic)took a chance on this one in the 50 cent bin of a local shop...finally a record that can be described as "psych-folk-funk" that actually has a few tracks that are "psych-folk-funk", the last track, "Please Clear the Air" would make this a $500 LP if it was a private pressed hippie slab instead of a major-label-Richie-Havens-covered-the-title-track-LP...

Comments

• I passed on that Jerry Merrick record on Saturday, didn't have the portable...So I take it it worth picking up for $3.

• I passed on that Jerry Merrick record on Saturday, didn't have the portable...So I take it it worth picking up for $3.

yeah...the last track is really cool, also a few other tracks are really top shelf...great production and some nice songs

• Weekend Finds late Pass...

Hank Ballard "from the love side"
    JBs "watermelon man"
    Cupit "trainman"
    Soul Serchers "funk for the folks"
    & "if it ain't funky"
    Faun "the son of a liberate man"
    Benjamin Carry Limited "old man/catch the rain" (suprisingly good psych 45!

"just friends" is a disco boogie bomb!!!
    RDH Band is a semi-baller Northern.

Paul Parrish is very solid Detroit psych with arrangements by Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore

John Lovick Turner & Frut are sealed!

African Suite is a big cosmic disco-ish LP!
    Middle 12" is a sealed copy of the baller status Pike "good feeling" 12" on Penke!!!

• some highlights from today and one from a little bit ago...

dumb raer...would even be considered "baller" by the most loudmouth and annoying of us...KILLER R&B, it doesnt get any better than this...

Yeah, that's a fave of mine...rarely get to play it out of the house even it's a RAGER.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Everything OG.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have the King release of "Fat Gal" what pressing would that be, later than Bethlehem? The OG is on Orbit right?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I scored this from a fellow Canadian Strutter.

Very stoked. This is the first Langley LP.

• I have the King release of "Fat Gal" what pressing would that be, later than Bethlehem? The OG is on Orbit right?

yeah...the King is from 68, and I think the Bethlehem is from 64, I think there is even a 4th pressing on Conco, but do not know where it falls...

I scored this from a fellow Canadian Strutter.

Very stoked. This is the first Langley LP.

a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/natebizzo/img052.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/natebizzo/img052.jpgbr />

Nice. I found a copy of the CD reissue at goodwill this summer. I also had a dream two nights ago I found a sleeveless copy.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Nice scores BF! Pike def goes for loot, but isn't that good IMO. Time to get paid!

• Nice scores BF! Pike def goes for loot, but isn't that good IMO. Time to get paid!

Yeah, I was wondering if it's any good...It's sealed, but i'm still very tempted to crack that virgin open. Was planning on flipping though.

• Two great (weird) ones this week:

Circuit Rider - S/T (private press) Biker loner stoner rock from 1980 but sounds older.

Harvey Matusow's Jews Harp Band - War Between Fats And Thins (Head) - Jews Harp dub.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Nice scores BF! Pike def goes for loot, but isn't that good IMO. Time to get paid!

Yeah, I was wondering if it's any good...It's sealed, but i'm still very tempted to crack that virgin open. Was planning on flipping though.

I'll send you the mp3 this evening and you can check it out for yourself. No reason to crack it open if it's not your thing.

• Canonical, how much that Dorothy Ashby set you back? I think I'ma move out to Alberta, yeesh!

• Two great (weird) ones this week:

Circuit Rider - S/T (private press) Biker loner stoner rock from 1980 but sounds older.

If you are going to sell this, I would like to take a crack at it...

• Nice scores BF! Pike def goes for loot, but isn't that good IMO. Time to get paid!

I'll send you the mp3 this evening and you can check it out for yourself. No reason to crack it open if it's not your thing.

Yes, this would be cool...Thanks!!!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

African Suite is a big cosmic disco-ish LP!

African Suite is so good. There's a big chunk between "In the Pocket" and "Vibes" that is especially

• African Suite is so good. There's a big chunk between "In the Pocket" and "Vibes" that is especially

Yeah, i've been bumping this constantly since I picked it up on Saturday... indeed!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Everything OG.

An original Plastic Cloud?

Where did you find that and what do I have to trade for it?

Canonical, how much that Dorothy Ashby set you back? I think I'ma move out to Alberta, yeesh!
    $45. My friend pulled it for $15 from right under me. It's so mint, too. Great record.

RE Plastic Cloud - It wasn't a dollar bin find or anything, I paid a pretty penny but it was well below market value. I'm already working out a trade. Pretty much the only thing that would stop me would be a mint Jeff Moore - Youngest Son or Concrete Rubberband.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i got these at a local store today for a pretty decent price:

plus a german private jazz lp called "magog"

the guy also sells a copy of archie shepp and the family of percussion, but asks for a rather high price, at least i think its high.. around 100$.
    whats the going rate for this? popsike only has 2 auctions..

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the guy also sells a copy of archie shepp and the family of percussion, but asks for a rather high price, at least i think its high.. around 100$.
    whats the going rate for this? popsike only has 2 auctions..

"offtopic" but, the archie shepp is a ~$75 record, IMO.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

used to be mine

going rate for archie? right now probably 50-70 euros. but you can find copies for 20-30 euros. i'd rather wait...

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Bill Flower - You Set Your Soul On Fire (Rhubarb Records), picked this up at value village not quite sure what to think of it, cheesy soul with some synth mixed in take a listen...

• Here's a couple of Japanese pop 45s I got recently:

Katsuko Kanai: "Like Strangers"
    Katsuko Kanai: "Invitation of Honey"

The Golden Half: "24 Milabaci"

Apologies for not uploading the other Golden Half song, but it's a cover of "Calendar Girl." Ugh.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

used to be mine

going rate for archie? right now probably 50-70 euros. but you can find copies for 20-30 euros. i'd rather wait...

haha, nice. tommes bought a huge collection these days, maybe you should check him out.
    didnt u like these records? the hutcherson is really good and the mombasa has its moments..

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

NRR

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Found lots of indie rock etc for the grip and flip but not many keepers

But this arrived in the mail today:

SCORCHER!

• What's up with that Frut - Spoiled Rotten record? Any good?