Paul McCartney "RAM" appreciation

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
i know i've complained a lot about paul mccartney in the beatles but i love this album. and "Long Haired Lady"...oh my god. i'm listening to the outtakes with the vocals mixed really low and i think i like it even better than the mastered version, although i miss the horns a little.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I RIDE.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'D RIDE THAT RAM

• Bumped it in the office today. Great album.

"Long Haired Lady," though? What next, an ABBA BOX appreciation?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'D RIDE THAT ABBA BOX

... sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll stop now.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Bumped it in the office today. Great album.

"Long Haired Lady," though? What next, an ABBA BOX appreciation?

did you not listen to the outtake version i posted? it's not....

as much.

I RIDE FOR ABBA

• I used to think "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" was a Beatles song when I was a kid, and it bummed me out that I could never find the Beatles LP it was on.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Where does one find the outtakes? I had a 6 month binge on this CD in college. Paul is my favorite Beatle.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Paul is my favorite Beatle.

No brainer. I've got a soft spot for Harrison tho. Im pretty sure he was the most down to earth, and he wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps, one of my fave Beatles tracks.

Back to Ram, Though :

Too Many People
    Ram On
    Dear Boy
    Uncle Albert/ Ad. Halsey
    The Back Seat of My Car
    Another Day

I mean, are you shitting me? Hands down the most consistant record any Beatle ever made. Im counting the Beatles lp's, too. Its just that good. Plus the break on Oh Woman, Oh Why is just so tasty and choppable. From the ukelele on Ram On that just kills me, to the audacious change ups on the gorgeous Uncle Albert, the album is un-fuck-witable. As close as you can get to a perfect album.

Also, the cover always jumped out at me from amongst my dads records. Its burned into my brain something serious.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm not a big McCartney fan in general, but this album really is gorgeous. The title track has all the elements of Necessary Paul - the melancholy worldliness, the nonchalant genius, and the sweet softness. Folks who have passed on it are truly missing out. Snag it at the thrift your next time out.

I apologize for asking, but are there any other outtakes? The album's only fault (secretly a plus?) is its brevity.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    ram is an ill lp-
    G.O.A.T

the title track kills me with that ukelele

kind of a perfect LP from start to finish- its an LP that if i see it,i will always buy one for a dollar and give them to friends

i liked wings but not as much as this one

btw multiple reliable sources have reported that the new macca cd is supposed to be amazing-

fucker is 65 and it looks like he might loose 100 million to the ex wife
    [he'll still be rich though]

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    He bought my mum a cup of tea once so I have to ride firm.

• "RAM" is always bunched together in my mind with "McCartney" and the first Emitt Rhodes album, because there was a period of a couple months in my life that I was just rotating those three. They all fit together, and they all sounded exactly right every time.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I apologize for asking, but are there any other outtakes? The album's only fault (secretly a plus?) is its brevity.

it's a collection of alternate takes from 1970 to 1974 and there are a few from the ram sessions
    http://www.maccafan.net/Bootlegs/UnsurpassedMastersVol2/master2.htm

i'll try to up when i get either tonight or tomorroow. keep an eye out

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    multiple reliable sources have reported that the new macca cd is supposed to be amazing-

These sources are right. I have next to no use for solo Macca, yet the new one definitely sounds killer to me.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Paul is my favorite Beatle.

No brainer. I've got a soft spot for Harrison tho. Im pretty sure he was the most down to earth, and he wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps, one of my fave Beatles tracks.

Back to Ram, Though :

Too Many People
    Ram On
    Dear Boy
    Uncle Albert/ Ad. Halsey
    The Back Seat of My Car
    Another Day

I mean, are you shitting me? Hands down the most consistant record any Beatle ever made.

not to rain on everyone's Ram parade (don't get me wrong, i'm a fan too...in fact i made this same exact thread roughly two years ago), but this is clearly the superior beatles solo LP:

I RIDE

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'd rate:

both John and Yoko's Plastic Ono Band records
    All Things Must Pass
    Imagine
    Mind Games
    Ringo

and PM sound-alikes:
    We All Together (1+2)
    Emmit Rhodes

...all ahead of Ram, or any solo McCartney for that matter.

Am I
    ?

To your ears, his solo material doesn't sound like the last few ugly wisps of cloying cotton candy stuck to the stick?

• I'd rate:

All Things Must Pass
    Imagine
    Mind Games
    Ringo

and PM sound-alikes:
    We All Together (1+2)
    Emmit Rhodes

Am I
    ?

To your ears, his solo material doesn't sound like the last few ugly wisps of cloying cotton candy stuck to the stick?

naw, i'm pretty much right there with you, at least as far as Lennon Plastic Ono, All things, and Imagine being way ahead of any solo McCartney.

i heard one song off Paul's new one on the radio- it was kind of OK

• I'd rate:

All Things Must Pass
    Imagine
    Mind Games
    Ringo

and PM sound-alikes:
    We All Together (1+2)
    Emmit Rhodes

Am I
    ?

I think you're short-changing him a bit. Some of his solo material is of the sickly sweet variety (as was some of his Beatles material) but it's not really accurate to imply that's the only mode he could write a song in post-Beatles.

(I will also admit to actually liking some of the sweeter spots in his first 2 solo records. )

I would not rate Mind Games, Imagine, or Ringo higher than the first two McCartney records.

Both Plastic Ono Band albums and All Things Must Pass (well, two thirds of it) are amazing though, I agree.

naw, i'm pretty much right there with you, at least as far as Lennon Plastic Ono, All things, and Imagine being way ahead of any solo McCartney.

i heard one song off Paul's new one on the radio- it was kind of OK

Although I grew up on the Beatles the seeds for everything I dislike about his solo material show up in some of his Beatles tunes, too... "Fool on the hill" and "She've Leaving Home" for instance, go beyond dreary tedium into some shudder-enducing realm of the maudlin.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this is clearly the superior beatles solo LP:

• Both Plastic Ono Band albums and All Things Must Pass (well, two thirds of it) are amazing though, I agree.

dude Imagine falls into the 'amazing' category too

The only post-Beatle Beatle records even touching Ram are both John and Yoko's Plastic Ono Band records. Imagine & McCartney are just OK. All Things Must Pass is semi-grueling.

DISAGREE AND YOU ARE ONLY OUTING YOURSELF AS BEING WRONG

I can't believe you guys are going to make me listen to "Ram" tonight...

• awallawall 673 Posts

Both Plastic Ono Band albums and All Things Must Pass (well, two thirds of it) are amazing though, I agree.

dude Imagine falls into the 'amazing' category too

thought it has it's moments (especially "oh my love" and "oh yoko"), i always thought imagine was somewhat of a weak LP. same with mind games, though it's highlights (if any) i can't even remember at this time.

all things must pass would easily be the best if it was more concise. even as a 2LP set it would be a bit tedious, as a 3LP set i rarely find myself going beyond the first disc.

all things must pass would easily be the best if it was more concise. even as a 2LP set it would be a bit tedious, as a 3LP set i rarely find myself going beyond the first disc.

As long as you treat it as a double-LP (i.e. exclude the two jam-band sides) it works great from start to finish for me. Might prune 1-2 tracks max -- and I'd say the same of the White Album (I could lose a few tracks).

Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Beatle lurkers are laughing at us right now.

Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

McCartney rider pulling the Muzak card on Lennon =