Paul McCartney "RAM" appreciation

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

McCartney rider pulling the Muzak card on Lennon =

I'm as far from a McCartney apologist as they come, but Ram is a good album. I still play it. Imagine is somewhat cheese.

Beatle lurkers are laughing at us right now.

Leave Mylatency's butcher cover out of this.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Lennon is cool, I guess - a stronger lyricist than musician, in my mind though. Also, I get a slight "trying too hard*" vibe. PM makes music that is so effortless, that it just kills me. I ride real hard for the dude. And as far as him being muzak: Plaese. I really only count his 70's output, but there is nothing cheesy or maudlin about it in my opinion. It aint Creedence, but its not supposed to be.

*This will be abbreviated to TTH in future posts.

• Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

I'm as far from a McCartney apologist as they come, but Ram is a good album. I still play it. Imagine is somewhat cheese.

um, naw dude. Imagine is way better than you AND mccartney. you're cheese.

sorry, really tired this morning, just playin up in here

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i bought my copy on the release date

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I was practically born a Beatles fan, but somehow I never really happened upon Paul McCartney's RAM until about a year ago when I purchased a copy. Since then though, it's just been collecting dust on a shelf. This thread made me pull it out last night, and because of the way I've been feeling about Paul McCartney lately, I really wanted this record to suck so I could come back on here today and call y'all all corny. Buuuuuuuuuut I can't front...I only had time to listen to side 1 last night...but damned if it isn't pretty darned close to what I'd have to call...............genius.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    PM makes music that is so effortless, that it just kills me. I ride real hard for the dude. And as far as him being muzak: Plaese.

I didn't bring Muzak into this, I'm just saying... between Lennon and McCartney's solo work, who had more Muzak tendancies?

Granted, Lennon didn't have to live through the 80s so what they would have done to him is pure conjecture. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it wouldn't have been anything like:

between Lennon and McCartney's solo work, who had more Muzak tendancies?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

WE RIDE

WE RIDE

That shit is straight up rocking the elevator, dude.

also...

WE RIDE

^^^^^^HAS NEVAR BIN IN LOVE!

WE RIDE

^^^^^^HAS NEVAR BIN IN LOVE!

^^^^^^Rides for early 80's Sadao Watanabe lp's.

Seriously. When is the last time you've even heard muzak? I haven't heard anything in an elevator in years.

Actually, I heard some muzak in a store a few months ago. Totally freaky version of God Only Knows.

early 80's Sadao Watanabe lp's.

too prog. blows my mind. i need my shit simple and EASY.

• Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

OK, now that i've caffeined myself up, i can more coherently explicate that riding for Paul and calling John cheese is :confusion:. where's the cheese on Imagine again? the title song? John effectively, literally SONS paul on that LP, forever putting to rest the queso contest

Seriously. When is the last time you've even heard muzak? I haven't heard anything in an elevator in years.

My point being that 85% of post Beatles John is about as edgy as the Carpenters.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

WE RIDE

"Watching the Wheels" is one of the best Beatles-related songs EVER!!!

Imagine is like the Muzak version of Plastic Ono Band.

OK, now that i've caffeined myself up, i can more coherently explicate that riding for Paul and calling John cheese is :confusion:. where's the cheese on Imagine again? the title song? John effectively, literally SONS paul on that LP, forever putting to rest the queso contest

hahaha!

Imagine is not a bad record. I will ride for about half of it. But the other foot is firmly planted in the dentist chair rock he went on to do after that.

Paul can be pretty corny, I will absolutely not deny this, but Ram is a great album.

My point being that 85% of post Beatles John is about as edgy as the Carpenters.

Edgy.LOL

Inpsirational soft rock is the new free jazz.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

WE RIDE

"Watching the Wheels" is one of the best Beatles-related songs EVER!!!

Indeed.

Back to "Ram," I have never heard this album. I guess I need to get up pon my get-ups.

• Imagine is not a bad record. I will ride for about half of it. But the other foot is firmly planted in the dentist chair rock he went on to do after that.

maybe i can hear the lite-FM sound on a few cuts, but overall it just sounds so sincere. how to front? i think it's some completely geniusfull shit. I feel bad for you jaded cats sometimes.

plus mccartney had a cheek in the dentist chair from the door

i think the old adage works for this: if it were private pressed 200 copies blah blah blah...

CRINK YOU'RE DEAD TO ME

CRINK: do you take the Nitrous at the dentist? You should.
    AM gold terds remixed by Lee Perry + hygienist boobies = mouthful of white pianos.
    (Unfortunately my insurance only allows 2 visits annually.)

mouthful of white pianos.

mouthful of white pianos.

Imagine all the fluoride.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Paul can be pretty corny, I will absolutely not deny this, but Ram is a great album.

i've said before, my main complaint about macca in the beatles were those schmaltzy old timey When I'm 64 Penny Laneish songs. it's like getting punched in the face with fist made of whimsy. that aside, i like some of his songs very much- especially when he displays a little twisted/fun humor or proves that he can be all out balls-to-the-wall and raw sounding (i.e. Helter Skelter). he has a good range and he writes some gorgeously layered harmonies, especially on Ram. and i DEFINITELY prefer his vocals over john's, but i like john more but more on a personal level than musically. because songs like Julia, as simple as they are musically, are much more meaningful to me and move me more than most macca songs.

i kind of get tired of these john vs paul debates. because george is great too. i remember in that awful movie Vanilla Sky, nolte played a shrink and basically gave some life advice to the Cruise that he knew a lost and troubled soul whose fave Beatle was John. then he started to favor Paul and his life was starting to fall back into place. i thought that was so funny and at the same time really cringe inducing.

As I've gotten older I've realized that a lot of what once seemed "deep" about John is kinda phoney, and a lot of what seemed phoney about Paul is fairly deep.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    As I've gotten older I've realized that a lot of what once seemed "deep" about John is kinda phoney, and a lot of what seemed phoney about Paul is fairly deep.

i'm not ready to agree with the john = phoney sentiment, but i admit i'm starting to come around to recognizing paul's "deepness" a little more these days

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

It does seem like Paul spent his time as a Beatle relentlessly investigating "swinging London" and cutting-edge culture, whereas John spent a good portion of it cowering in his apartment strung out. But when it came to making exploratory, personal, essential music in the most popular/mainstream setting possible, John delivered 90% of the time, whereas I could never hear another Paul song again and that'd be fine with me.

and yet within Paul's catalog I actually enjoy some of his more "mannered" songs: When I'm Sixty-Four works for me, Honey Pie is alright, etc etc -- whereas major tunes like Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby feel schlocky to me, and his Little Richard white-man-soul voice that was present on the first few Beatles records and reappeared circa Let It Be makes me cringe every time.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Thas wha im saying. I get a major "posing to look like im not posing vibe." Its all just a tad studied i think. You know those art schooll, tight jean, ironic-beard trimmed to perfection kids who desperatly put on a show of "not caring". Kind of like that. Only talented.

He has written some bananas tracks. Happiness is a Warm Gun, Im So Tired, St, Fields, etc etc.

But put side by side with Macca, its obvious that while lennon is very talented, Macca just OOZES talent and muicianship. PM songs have likely been covered more than any other artists, and with good reason.