THE GLUE TRICK

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Can someone break down how this works?And can I perform it on an LP?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    no, strictly for 45s

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Can someone break down how this works?

And can I perform it on an LP?

like you did on your hand in grade school, butcept on a record.

• no, strictly for 45s

I hate to run the risk of playing myself - but are you being serious?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    no, strictly for 45s

dead serious. LP surface is too big.

• no, strictly for 45s

Perhaps it only works well on 45s cause the grooves are wider?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    ???
    you mean gluing a record that was split in two?

i tried this once on a 45 to less than desired results. it plays fine until the verse comes in and then the bump is too much and it skips. i probably could have done it better, but does this really work?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    can we get more details on the specimen in question?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    no, strictly for 45s

dead serious. LP surface is too big.

and the grooves are too narrow

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    ???

BAN

• can we get more details on the specimen in question?

Extremely dope record with massive amounts of schmutz that is not coming off in the VPI.

I am "wet playing" it and it is helping... just wanted to be aware of my options.

???

BAN

just tryin to learn, dude.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    can we get more details on the specimen in question?

Extremely dope record with massive amounts of schmutz that is not coming off in the VPI.

I am "wet playing" it and it is helping... just wanted to be aware of my options.

tap water with VERY soft toothbrush and then VPI treatment

• It's a Jamaican record... soft bristles would be wasted on it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    ???

BAN

then take a seat at the back and shut up when the experts are talking

• can we get more details on the specimen in question?

play it backwards while wet...most of the dirt gets hammered down in the grooves in a certain direction, playing it backwards will let the needle hit the dirt in the opposite direction and that will help the needle to dig it out...try it, it works.

• I am doing just that... I'm making some progress.

But this is definitely not dirt - it's paint, or spackle, or some shit!

• ???

BAN

Hah!

Ahhh c'mon & tell the dude what we're talkin on.

Y'see there's a trick for getting gunk outta 45 grooves. You put elmer's glue all over the wax, let it dry then slowly peel it off. Supposedly, it can revive really thrashed records. I've never tried it.

• I am doing just that... I'm making some progress.

I wonder if diluted paint thinner quickly brushed on then removed might help? Never tried it, but always wondered if it would work.

• Well wet playing it back and forth took off most of the gunk. I may need to retrace one part of the groove with a needle though. Anyone tried that???

For anyone wondering what the hell I'm doing, this is an extremely rare dub record that I'm certainly going to keep, no matter what (not least because in this condition it's really not sellable). One side is merely hammered; the other side was in addition speckled with a solid tan substance, probably a residue of some sort. It did not come off after two trips through the VPI. It gave under repeated needle and fingernail pressure, but I haven't been able to identify what it actually is.

At this point, the record plays pretty well. It skips forward in one place (the part I'd like to retrace) and has some surface noise, but not worse than some stock originals I've heard.

SCIENCE!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Is elmers glue what you guys call pva glue? The white stuff you use at school?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah. Elmer's is a brand name over here.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Well wet playing it back and forth took off most of the gunk. I may need to retrace one part of the groove with a needle though. Anyone tried that???
    Get a good light & a strong magnifying glass, don't scratch too hard, works better with 78s I've found. It can be a tricky process.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I may need to retrace one part of the groove with a needle though. Anyone tried that???

I was going to ask this exact same thing today, I have this really nice copy of mikey dread - DATC that I bought, first time playing it out a photographer dude spooked me and i put a gouge in the intro. sad day.

There is an enzyme based cleaner that needle doctor sells called Buggtussel Gold:

that I have used on some red stripe/paint splattered records with good success.

???

BAN

Hah!

Ahhh c'mon & tell the dude what we're talkin on.

Y'see there's a trick for getting gunk outta 45 grooves. You put elmer's glue all over the wax, let it dry then slowly peel it off. Supposedly, it can revive really thrashed records. I've never tried it.

thanks man.

once i figured out how goofy the idea of gluing a record back together really is, i realized what the glue trick probably meant. i'm gonna give it a try once.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

how does happen? i have quite a few records w/ this problem... fingernails usually work...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    It's a Jamaican record... soft bristles would be wasted on it.

why must you ignore my ultrasonic advice

this is the way to clean JA grime

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

The glue to use is white PVA glue - is Elmer's a brand name? Yes, you can do it on LPs too. I brush a thickish spiral layer of glue starting at the centre of the record and moving out, leaving a slightly thicker layer around the edge of the record. This gives you something to hold onto on when peeling the glue off. Leave it to dry completely (hour or more, usually) until all the glue goes transparent then peel it off. Works too.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I've done the elmer's thing to 45s before. Maybe made a slight difference, all these other methods are great too. I still want to try the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Using a needle to fix grooves works, you just gotta have the balls to do it. I had an extremely pricey 45 with a skip at the end and got a friend to do it for me, who's well experienced in the matter. Find some old head that has done that before and have em teach you or practice on garbage 45s.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    do not use anything other than Elmers brand on the record. The trick does work, but honestly, if the VPI didnt help, then you are not going to see much improvement. However, if you decide to go with glue, try it on a junker first so you can practice. It is also very important to let the glue dry fully (like two days). Dont get over anxious and start peeling too soon, because the glue can still be wet underneath and then its a real pain to deal with.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I also wonder what, if any kind of residue is being left on records by using glue. And does that in turn affect play?