Let's play "Ask Pickwick"

124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My nickname at the time was ???Disco Rich??? as my co-workers at the club knew I hated the music.

Do you remember if the DJs were blending songs or was it straight up Radio hit after Radio hit?

Thank God Its Friday style?

Thank God, It's Friday! I ain't seen that in a minute! Is that out on video or DVD? That would be good for a laugh. Soundtrack with nothing but Motown and Casablanca artists, and includes at least one scene where a coke-addled disco DJ (played by Ray Vitte) puts a Motown record in a Casablanca sleeve (it was one of those Meco "disco Star Wars albums," I think).

I have seent it since it came out or when it ran on HBO back then.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    My nickname at the time was ???Disco Rich??? as my co-workers at the club knew I hated the music.

Do you remember if the DJs were blending songs or was it straight up Radio hit after Radio hit?

Thank God Its Friday style?

Thank God, It's Friday! I ain't seen that in a minute! Is that out on video or DVD? That would be good for a laugh. Soundtrack with nothing but Motown and Casablanca artists, and includes at least one scene where a coke-addled disco DJ (played by Ray Vitte) puts a Motown record in a Casablanca sleeve (it was one of those Meco "disco Star Wars albums," I think).

I have seent it since it came out or when it ran on HBO back then.

...but do you remember Disco 9000, which starred Johnnie Taylor - yeah, the "Who's Making Love" guy - as a club DJ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ...but do you remember Disco 9000, which starred Johnnie Taylor - yeah, the "Who's Making Love" guy - as a club DJ?

Never heard of it.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Dear Pickwick,

What's your favourite Motown album recorded in L.A. in the middle 70's by one of those MTWN lesser known artists ? (I.e. avoid the Gayes, Wares, etc)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

.... The Disco scene I experienced was very white and very Italian. These were the kids of folks who had grown up in the Doo-Wop/Four Seasons era and quite frankly the NY Italian never really had any music they could relate to again until Disco came along. ....... Even though the early Disco music was dominated by black artists, these black shirt/white tie Italians were some of the more racist folks I have ever been around. It was amazing hearing these guys talking about ???friggin??? Moolies??? right after they danced to the latest Donna Summer hit.

The first club I worked at was called Rum Runners in Oyster Bay. It was owned by two connected dudes and it catered to the middle to upper middle class Italian.

.....From my perspective it was great as these Italian dudes didn???t tip, they OVER tipped, like it was a friggin??? contest. And they all had great nicknames like Tommy Tomato, Joe Baccala, Big Tony??????.no doubt some of them were in the ???family???. And there were lots of fights???..coked up macho hot heads who were always in groups of 4-5 and always ready to throw down. Amazingly I only saw a gun be pulled once, and that was quickly defused.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Eddie grew up about 20 miles from the club I worked at....his assessment is spot on.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Dear Pickwick,

What's your favourite Motown album recorded in L.A. in the middle 70's by one of those MTWN lesser known artists ? (I.e. avoid the Gayes, Wares, etc)

Leon Ware is a well-known artist? (((grin))) Well, maybe with us cratediggers...

But, to answer your question...Higher Than High by the Undisputed Truth! By this time they were a self-contained band instead of a singing group (although there are L.A. session guys ALL OVER this mamma-jamma), and they were getting into a full-on P-Funk thing. Includes the insane "Poontang" ("I used to hate it till I ate it!").

Right now, in the to-be-listened-to pile, is the Dynamic Superiors' self-titled first album. Haven't played it yet, but I always loved their hit "Shoe Shoe Shine"...for a sweet soul song, that tune has some amazingly BITTER lyrics, along the lines of: don't tell me your troubles, you got it easy - I remember when a shoeshine cost ten cents...