Let's play "Ask Pickwick"

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's more Rock.....Stevie Wonder or Earth, Wind & Fire?

Who's you favorite Lionel on The Jeffersons?

Curtis Mayfield vs Marvin Gaye?

Favorite Blond on Three's Company?

Walter Payton vs Micheal Jordan

Do U Step?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Dear Pickwick,

Can you help me identify this song?

the sample or the rap?

if its the sample, i dunno, but going by that bass pattern that sounds like...

Eddie Kendricks, "Girl You Need A Change Of Mind".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hey Pickwick,

Didn't you tell a crazy David Allan Coe story here a few years ago? Please re-tell it!

just got home - soon as im settled in, you got it!

Also, how do you know everything?

i DO? i thought that was dante carfagna that knowed it all!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Not a crazy story.....but.....

The second or third weekend after I moved to Texas from NY I met David Allan Coe at a local Flea Market called Trader's Village.

He had his tour bus and what I assume were most of his belongings for sale.

Outrageous looking "Nudie" western outfits, guitars, tires???

He said he was raising money for a lawyer after a recent arrest.

I knew I had moved to a special place.

• pickwick whats your favorite john prine song?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    well imho
    the makossa is a little funkier

but better yet are these the funkist lps on the label?

I've heard funkier Springboard LPs that are a part of Pickwick (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong Pickwick), but as for breakbeatraer, one of the Pickwick Super Hits records has a great drum break on their version of One Monkey Don't Stop No Show.

Highly Recommended

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I've heard funkier Springboard LPs that are a part of Pickwick (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong Pickwick)

Springboard and Pickwick - unrelated

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's your favorite Joe Cuba album and song?

You really wanna KNOW?

Joe's done some hellafied stuff over the years..."Psychedelic Baby," "Oh Yeah," "Push Push Push," "El Pito (I'll Never Go Back To Georgia," BUT...I gotta confess, my fave J.C. is the one that kicked it off, "Bang! Bang!"

I've yet to hear a better boogaloo song for sheer power and charm.

pickwick whats your favorite john prine song?

title escapes me at the moment, but i can tell you without hesitation it would be off of that Pink Cadillac album, recorded at Sun Studios...if Hook-Up is reading this, I dont know if he agrees, but that album is in the trilogy of Bizarre Memphis Rock Albums along with James Luther Dickinson's Dixie Fried and Terry Manning's Home Sweet Home (I've never heard Alex Chilton's Like Flies On Sherbet)

I've heard funkier Springboard LPs that are a part of Pickwick (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong Pickwick)

Springboard and Pickwick - unrelated

Ahh fuck.

Pickwick,
    Are there any Gull label releases that I need in my life?
    Peace
    T.N.

Who's more Rock.....Stevie Wonder or Earth, Wind & Fire?

Stevie, because he never Went Disco like Maurice White & co. did!

Who's you favorite Lionel on The Jeffersons?

Probably Mike Evans, the first one. He dealt with Archie Bunker far better than Rob Reiner's character (Michael/"Meathead") did.

Curtis Mayfield vs Marvin Gaye?

I like both about equal, although Curtis' albums could be mighty uneven.

Favorite Blond on Three's Company?

Neither one did much for me. Just saw a rerun of the final episode yesterday, and I couldn't get past the dated Preppy Handbook fashion sense of Suzanne Sommers' replacement. Although after watching the DVD of Saturday Night Live's first season, I gotta say the three female cast members were looking mighty hot back then...

Walter Payton vs Micheal Jordan

Can't choose, both were great (although only Payton has enuff props to have a Chicago high school named after him - posthumously).

Do U Step?

Nope, never could. That's some serious skill there, man - can't fake your way through steppin' like you could with swing dancing.

Pickwick,
    Peace
    T.N.

Never heard any, although most (if not all) of their releases seems to be all prog-rock - not my thing.

(I am a huge fan of Arthur Brown's album on Track/Atlantic - the one with "Fire" - and I'd be curious to hear his Gull LP, although it's probably in another bag entirely.)

Funny, that's why I asked. I got that one (Arthur Brown on Gull) and it's surprisingly weird/funky.

Hey Pickwick,

Didn't you tell a crazy David Allan Coe story here a few years ago? Please re-tell it!

Ah, that tale...

Okay, before I get into it...for those of you who have never met me in person, I am African-American. I'm not just playing an unneeded race card, that is an important part of the story.

Alright, my dad, like a lot of southern black men from his age group, was a huge country fan. He also used to bring home the occasional copy of Easyriders magazine home, just for laughs (he didn't ride a motorcycle). As you know, Coe has a huge following amongst bikers, and for a long time Coe used to run ads for his X-rated albums in the pages of Easyriders. (This was in the early eighties.)

Dad sends away for one, titled Nothing Sacred. We listen to it, and it's okay, not as clever as his legit albums. A year goes by, and D.A.C. sends out this form letter asking people who bought the previous LP if they would offer their opinion of some song that eventually turned up on his NEXT rated-XXX album. And what were the lyrics like? Something about how his woman went and ran off with a black guy (but DAC's description was WAAAAY cruder than that).

Many, many years later, in 1998 I'm backstage at a DAC concert at the House of Blues. Me and two friends (both white) are interviewing him for Roctober magazine. We tell DAC the same story I just told you guys, and embarrassed, he says, "oh, man..."

And that's my David Allan Coe story.

A year after that he comes back to town, playing at a local alt-rock venue. I'm hanging around outside when his road manager (or somebody like that) spots me..."hey, weren't you one of those guys who interviewed David Allan Coe for that punk-rock magazine? Hey, man, we loved that article! Say, he's on the tour bus right now - wanna talk to him?" And there I was, face to face, alone, with the guy whose mug graced several Easyriders magazine ads back in the day. He'd lost a lot of weight, but had been on the road nonstop since he last came through...even though he said there were a couple of things he didn't think was correct (he couldn't remember which), he liked the article. This was one of those classic never-thought-I'd-see-the-day-when moments...

Funny, that's why I asked. I got that one (Arthur Brown on Gull) and it's surprisingly weird/funky.

Yeah, in the seventies Motown was really knocking themselves out trying to crash the white rock market, and was always getting these UK acts either just before or just after they hit it big on other labels (like the Pretty Things). Besides the Rare Earth label, they also had Manticore (owned by Emerson, Lake & Palmer) and Gull.

Can you confirm that Duanne Allman plays guitar on Solomon Burke's Proud Mary lp? Always sounded like it to me.

Can't find any info on it right away, but that would seem to be the right time (1969) and place (Muscle Shoals, AL) for Duane Allman to be playing guitar on a soul session...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Outrageous looking "Nudie" western outfits, guitars, tires???

Did you buy a Nudie suit? How much $ were they?

• As you know, Coe has a huge following amongst bikers.

He was also a member of Outlaws for some time, a group that is said to have a history of conflict with the Hell's Angels. I heard a story a few weeks ago about Coe's trailer being burned to the ground once when he toured California, allegedly by Angels.

A year goes by, and D.A.C. sends out this form letter asking people who bought the previous LP if they would offer their opinion of some song that eventually turned up on his NEXT rated-XXX album. And what were the lyrics like? Something about how his woman went and ran off with a black guy (but DAC's description was WAAAAY cruder than that).

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you're talking about a little ditty entitled "Ni**er Fu**er." Jesus Christ! How does this dude from "Dakota The Dancing Bear" to that?

We tell DAC the same story I just told you guys, and embarrassed, he says, "oh, man..."

That is awesome. Thanks for retelling it.

that album is in the trilogy of Bizarre Memphis Rock Albums along with James Luther Dickinson's Dixie Fried

I played this album on my radio show today, and called
    it something like "a twisted love letter to Memphis" ...
    a very interesting, if not entirely consistent, album.

Speaking of oddball Memphis LP's, I'd still like very much
    to find a copy of the MOLOCH album, which I have yet to even
    hear, never mind own.

that album is in the trilogy of Bizarre Memphis Rock Albums along with James Luther Dickinson's Dixie Fried

Which album? Prine or Dickinson?

Speaking of oddball Memphis LP's, I'd still like very much
    to find a copy of the MOLOCH album, which I have yet to even
    hear, never mind own.

One Soulstutter burned this for me a few years ago, but when a full-on reissue turned up on CD, I couldn't resist and bought it...really good early-'70s hard rock.

Which album? Prine or Dickinson?

Dickinson. He's a very interesting character.

The Moloch was played up in some book I read, I can't
    even remember the title/author, but it made me really
    want to hear it. Makes me realize how much of a vinyl nerd
    I am, that I won't buy the CD, I'd rather wait possibly
    years to find the LP instead. Gotta keep the game alive

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Pickwick,
    Peace
    T.N.

Never heard any, although most (if not all) of their releases seems to be all prog-rock - not my thing.

(I am a huge fan of Arthur Brown's album on Track/Atlantic - the one with "Fire" - and I'd be curious to hear his Gull LP, although it's probably in another bag entirely.)

The Crazy world of Arthur Brown is the one with "fire" on it.

What's the title of his Gull LP called?

Something like "Dance With Me" or something along those lines.

Dance With Arthur Brown

The Moloch was played up in some book I read, I can't
    even remember the title/author,

It Came From Memphis by Robert Gordon? That's where I found out about it.

Makes me realize how much of a vinyl nerd
    I am, that I won't buy the CD, I'd rather wait possibly
    years to find the LP instead. Gotta keep the game alive

I'm happy with the CD, but I'd definitely buy the LP if the price were right.

Dance With Arthur Brown
    Shit Goddamn Muhfucka. I hate being wrong, and twice in a row.

That's the one.

That was a very enjoyable book, with a nice amount of

• It Came From Memphis by Robert Gordon? That's where I found out about it.

That's the one.

Yeah, I really liked that book.

Used to have that lp btw, ended up selling it in a pinch. Unfortunately, I think I got about 25 bucks for it

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    hey picwick

is the soul makossa jernt the best break laden Lp on the pickwick label?

i dunno...anybody heard that soul mann & the brothers album lately?

Theres at least two of these, can't remeber the name of the 2nd version. Not sure whether if there are any differences in the tracks.

EDIT: Neither particular great from memory

That's the one.

Yeah, I really liked that book.

Used to have that lp btw, ended up selling it in a pinch. Unfortunately, I think I got about 25 bucks for it

That price actually sounds reasonable, seeing that its' still in print and all...

For a while there, everytime a Memphis act came to town I'd have them autograph my copy of ICFM, which is why mine has all these signatures from Sid Selvidge ("don't believe all of this, but it's a fun read"), Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham, Rufus Thomas, Jim Dickinson, the author himself, etc.. Never had the balls to get Alex Chilton to sign it, was afraid he might flip out or something...