PM from Taza One! Trying to cook up some beef?

Comments

• I was joking holmes! for real though somebody to shed some light on the mountain dog debate.

• Burma Superstar

Anyone know if that little hole in the wall on 18th @ mission is still around?

i ain't been in years.

I think it was called "Yamo" or "Yami" or some shit? Folks runnin' that place claimin' Burmese but they might be fakin'.

Regardless, shit is good w/nothing on the menu over $5 and spanks Burma (asian fusion) superstar.

what the fuck is "asian fusion" anyway? is that like a nametag white folks pinned on certain restaurants? kinda like "african americans"?

• um, not for nothin but i dont think you will find anything but fused asian food in the mission.

• um, not for nothin but i dont think you will find anything but fused asian food in the mission.

yeah but how did the name "asian fusion" come about? like who named that shit that?

yeah but how did the name "asian fusion" come about? like who named that shit that?

prolly a white dude that owned a fancy restaurant.

see, the funny thing about asian fusion or really fused cuisine, is that it existed long before someone gave it a name. so that just makes it that much more obvious that it was some sort of marketing scheme to sell weird ethnic foods to the "other".

well, it's not a bad name for it really. at least, I'm thinking of spots like Betelnut on Union Street: they have a Thai noodle dish, a Chinese beef stir fry, a Singaporean dumpling, and Indian samosa appetizer, etc. it's like a "fusion" of cuisines from across the Asian continent.

obviously it's not for the restaurant-goer looking for an authentic representation of any single one of the regional cuisines of Asia, but if done right it can be a pleasantly eclectic dining experience.

• Thank you.

well, it's not a bad name for it really. at least, I'm thinking of spots like Betelnut on Union Street: they have a Thai noodle dish, a Chinese beef stir fry, a Singaporean dumpling, and Indian samosa appetizer, etc. it's like a "fusion" of cuisines from across the Asian continent.

obviously it's not for the restaurant-goer looking for an authentic representation of any single one of the regional cuisines of Asia, but if done right it can be a pleasantly eclectic dining experience.

im not sure if this qualifies. see, there are indeed thai noodle dishes, a fairly famous singapore dumpling, indian samosas, etc. this sounds more like a asian food court than a fusion restaurant.

i think the "fusion" part comes into play when different and sometimes contrary ethnic ingredients are used. so something like daikon gnocchi with a betelnut aioli would be fusion. and singapore dumplings, more commonly refered to as xiao long bao, is not.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    um, not for nothin but i dont think you will find anything but fused asian food in the mission.

LOVE Betelnut. B*n knows the deal.

There is NO such thing as a BURMESE Mountain Dog, but there is a BERNESE Mountain and SWISS Mountain Dog.

Bernese

Swiss

im not sure if this qualifies. see, there are indeed thai noodle dishes, a fairly famous singapore dumpling, indian samosas, etc. this sounds more like a asian food court than a fusion restaurant.

i think the "fusion" part comes into play when different and sometimes contrary ethnic ingredients are used. so something like daikon gnocchi with a betelnut aioli would be fusion. and singapore dumplings, more commonly refered to as xiao long bao, is not.

I guess there's varying degrees of fusion. a single restaurant (rather than food court) that offers a range of self-contained Asian dishes, well I'd say that such a menu at least represensts a fusion.

but you're right, a more involved "fusion" would actually mix up regional ingredients for a new (and hopefully tasty but probably often not) flavor.

the practical effect of these "fusion" spots, though, is probably to water down the regional flavors for more mass consumption (read: WHITE FOLKS).

• i am not mad at fusion. and i dont even mind that its mostly at the hands of white folks. however, i am not a fan of the mark up cuz some chef had the wherewithall to mix panko with milanesa.

some of the best foods, like people, are a blending of indigenous characteristics.

• ^^^ HOW CAN ANYONE HATE ON THAT!?!? ^^^

I'm saying. I think you're right re: BURMESE mountain dog merely being a corruption of the proper name "Bernese."

Let this be a case study in outrageous internet misinformation. I mean, look at this shit: This page is actually called Burmese Mountain Dog and purports to distinguish between the (non-existent) Burmese and Bernese...by showing picutres of a Bernese.

And this one purports to be about the Burmese and features pictures exclusively of...German Shephards.

Firmerola is right it's called "Yamo" cheap but hella greasy.

What does the Asian Cusisine-czar O-dub have to say about it?

asian food in non-asian neighborhoods is anything but THE TRUE. but plaese to enjoy your general tsaos bean curd and fortune cookie.

asian food in non-asian neighborhoods is anything but THE TRUE. but plaese to enjoy your general tsaos bean curd and fortune cookie.

Dude...these people are asian as heck (no woodcock).

I CAN TELL THAT THEY IS ASIAN JUST BY LOOKING AT THE BACK OF THEIR NECKZ

I CAN TELL THAT THEY'RE ASIAN JUST BE LOOKING AT THE BACK OF THEIR NECKS

Dude...these people are asian as heck (no woodcock).

there are asians serving orange chicken at the del amo panda express. which still doesnt make it chinese food now, does it.

however, i have never been to yamo/yami. but i can play the odds and say it prolly aint real.

• naw dog. they be usin' woks and shit to cook.

• so let me get this straight. by your guys logic, if a mexican dude handles a chalupa at taco bell that makes it real mexican food.

im saying, aint no chinese dude i know eating shrimp fried rice and broccoli beef at home. that just doesnt happen. just cuz theyre feeding you dumbasses that shit, dont make it chinese food. that makes it slop that gwailoh will fucks with.

• there are asians serving orange chicken

[yuichi] but who selling them the oranges? [/yuichi]

• so let me get this straight. by your guys logic, if a mexican dude handles a chalupa at taco bell that makes it real mexican food.

im saying, aint no chinese dude i know eating shrimp fried rice and broccoli beef at home. that just doesnt happen. just cuz theyre feeding you dumbasses that shit, dont make it chinese food. that makes it slop that gwailoh will fucks with.

I've had great Asian food cooked by Asians.

I've had shitty Asian food cooked by Asians.

I've had shitty Asian food cooked by non-Asians.

I've had great Asian food cooked by non-Asians.

I've had great Mexican food cooked by Mexicans.

I've had shitty Mexican food cooked by Mexicans.

I've had shitty Mexican food cooked by non-Mexicans.

I've had great Mexican food cooked by non-Mexicans.

• you dumbasses

whoa potna!

slow yo roll homie.

i'm just tellin' you i seen a wok up in there and they got some folks that look kinda asian and they be servin' it up.

for the money shit is on point. might not be the best asian restaurant but it still qualifies as being an asian restaurant imo.

• youre right, sorry. eat what you want white man.

IT'S ASIAN SHARK WEEK ON SOULSTRUT.

LOL!

IT'S ASIAN SHARK WEEK ON SOULSTRUT.

huh?

• Damn, this thread grew since I left. Oh well, I'm gonna save this for when I come back over the holidays.

We've had some good food since we've been here. First we has Italian in North Beach and I wish I had received Oliver's warning but I hadn't. Food looked good but tasted kinda funky. It was called Figaro. Stupid name. Avoid it.

The next day we went to Mifume in Japantown. I had some bomb ass udon w/ chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, egg, and other bomb ass stuff. So good.

That night we had some nasty Indian food at Naan N Curry. It was ok at best. The saag aloo was good but that was about it.

Today we went to The Mason Cafe for breakfast which was good cali, yuppy cuisine. did the trick.

Then I took Rootlesscosmo's advice I hit up the Tadich Grill. We were in the mood for some all American style seafood and man was it good. We ate soo much we had waddle back home. Seriously, dude, good recommend.

Don't know what's up for tonight but after two nights clubbing and running all over town, I think we may chill out. Any good, small bars around Mason and O'feral? If we do anything later it may be something along that line.

Tomorrow we're gonna check out, get our car and cruise around. Space cruise. Then it's Boudine's for bread bowls. Thanks hogginthafog for reccomending that but I already knew they is bomb. I used to bake the breadbowls at the Montgmery and Market Boudin's for like six months back in '96. Never could get the sour dough starter though.

This was a Frickin' awesome trip. Thanks to all that posted info and thanks to Sake One for getting us in the clubs for FREE!!!!!!!

• Any good, small bars around Mason and O'feral?

if your lady is down:

if your lady is down:

if your lady is down:

when i left the area around here down polk was starting to get busy with bars and such. however, polk is/was the tranny street, fyi. also, bobs donut on polk will/usedto custom make donuts for you and theyre open 24hrs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sorry about Figaro's: I'm sure there's some good Italian somewhere in North Beach. I've never found it but I've never tried to look that hard since I always avoided going to North Beach and Chinatown if I could help it.

The only exception is Jai Yun. I don't know if any of you have been there but it's this tiny, hole-in-the-wall spot off the main Chinatown area (but still on Pacific) that only takes reservations and is chef's choice only (even though you'd never guess it by the decor). Some of the best Chinese meals I've ever had anywhere outside of China.

As for Asian fusion - I never try it. It's just not appealing to me but I'm not going to dog on it out of ethnic loyalty. I've probably had a lot of "fusion" style food from other cultures and not been mad at it. But when it comes to Asian food, personally, that shit is comfort food to me and I don't need MFers trying to dress it up otherwise. Plus, I go by the golden rule: who's eating there? If there's more non-Asians than Asians? F'get about it.

BTW: I do like San Tung - the wings really are the bomb - but after we found a cockroach in our to-go container, wifey straight up ended our ability to eat there even though they were literally 1.5 blocks from where we used to live in the Sunset. (I'd sneak back w/o her for the wings...but the roach was NAGL). That said, I've probably gotten food poisoning AND found a roach at King of Thai Noodle and I've been back there. The duck noodle soup is just too Frickin' good for me to stay mad.

Damn, this thread grew since I left. Oh well, I'm gonna save this for when I come back over the holidays.

We've had some good food since we've been here. First we has Italian in North Beach and I wish I had received Oliver's warning but I hadn't. Food looked good but tasted kinda funky. It was called Figaro. Stupid name. Avoid it.

The next day we went to Mifume in Japantown. I had some bomb ass udon w/ chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, egg, and other bomb ass stuff. So good.

That night we had some nasty Indian food at Naan N Curry. It was ok at best. The saag aloo was good but that was about it.

Today we went to The Mason Cafe for breakfast which was good cali, yuppy cuisine. did the trick.

Then I took Rootlesscosmo's advice I hit up the Tadich Grill. We were in the mood for some all American style seafood and man was it good. We ate soo much we had waddle back home. Seriously, dude, good recommend.

Don't know what's up for tonight but after two nights clubbing and running all over town, I think we may chill out. Any good, small bars around Mason and O'feral? If we do anything later it may be something along that line.

Tomorrow we're gonna check out, get our car and cruise around. Space cruise. Then it's Boudine's for bread bowls. Thanks hogginthafog for reccomending that but I already knew they is bomb. I used to bake the breadbowls at the Montgmery and Market Boudin's for like six months back in '96. Never could get the sour dough starter though.

This was a Frickin' awesome trip. Thanks to all that posted info and thanks to Sake One for getting us in the clubs for FREE!!!!!!!