PM from Taza One! Trying to cook up some beef?

13»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If there's more non-Asians than Asians? F'get about it.
    THE TRUE TEST

lesser tests also include:

no one working there understands english (coincides with rude as fuck wait staff unless you have someone speaking whatever language)
    less working lights than non-working lights
    no utensils offered beyond chopsticks
    less than ten tables available for seating
    looks grimy but not grimy enough to not eat there

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If there's more non-Asians than Asians? F'get about it.
    THE TRUE TEST

lesser tests also include:

no one working there understands english (coincides with rude as fuck wait staff unless you have someone speaking whatever language)
    less working lights than non-working lights
    no utensils offered beyond chopsticks
    less than ten tables available for seating
    looks grimy but not grimy enough to not eat there

Brian's dropping crazy truth bombs hurr EXCEPT in reference to sushi spots. I don't need my sushi joints to look like crazy sterile, but no Frickin' way I'm eating sashimi in some place that looks grimed out. But I think sushi restaurants have their own set of rules.

Sushi on boats = no way.
    Has a handwritten sign that says, "we don't serve california rolls" = hell yes.
    Has more kinds of rolls than species of fish = nope.
    Is staffed by a sushi chef who yells at customers = jyeah.

• I'ma come out and say I have had delicious sushi prepared by Mexicans, notably at that spot by cas' and DJAnna's spot in North Park, San Diego.

you mad, Yuichi?

I'ma come out and say I have had delicious sushi prepared by Mexicans, notably at that spot by cas' and DJAnna's spot in North Park, San Diego.

you mad, Yuichi?

Sheeyit - everyone knows that the restaurant business - from grease spoon to haute cuisine - is dependent on Latino line staff. I'm def not mad at the idea of sushi prepped by Mexicans or whoever so long as the fish is fresh and whoever wields the knife is competent. That said, I have no idea if your taste in sushi is actually any good.

• I'ma come out and say I have had delicious sushi prepared by Mexicans, notably at that spot by cas' and DJAnna's spot in North Park, San Diego.

you mad, Yuichi?

Sheeyit - everyone knows that the restaurant business - from grease spoon to haute cuisine - is dependent on Latino line staff. I'm def not mad at the idea of sushi prepped by Mexicans or whoever so long as the fish is fresh and whoever wields the knife is competent. That said, I have no idea if your taste in sushi is actually any good.

hahaha I am sure this has been discussed here before (given the proliferation of "SF BAY AREA FOOD SPOT" threads over the years), but what's your top three Bay Area sushi spots real quick?

I'ma come out and say I have had delicious sushi prepared by Mexicans, notably at that spot by cas' and DJAnna's spot in North Park, San Diego.

you mad, Yuichi?

hahaha I am sure this has been discussed here before (given the proliferation of "SF BAY AREA FOOD SPOT" threads over the years), but what's your top three Bay Area sushi spots real quick?

Depends...for BUDGET sushi where the quality is good but the prices are better?:
    -Yum Yum Fish Market in the Sunset (real heads know the deal)
    -Sushi Sam's in San Mateo (the line can be a bitch but it's a fun place to eat).

For high quality sushi, I had what I think was a really good meal at Murasaki in the Richmond once but that was years ago. Most of the high end sushi I've had has been in Los Angeles (Sasabune, baby!), not the Yay.

• -Yum Yum Fish Market in the Sunset (real heads know the deal)

^^^ I fucks with this. ^^^

Kirala and Tachibana still hold the high end down in Berkeley I understand, no?

really I have some particular "must haves" that some sushi spots don't do. and they're not even weird, obscure things either. like I gotta have a cold oshitashi salad to set off my sushi experience. non-oshitashi eaters would probably be shocked to learn of the percentage of sushi spots that don't offer this seemingly basic appetizer. but I need it in my life nonetheless.

oh, and a spot that won't fry the crispy ebi head with eyeballs for you to eat alongside the ebi roll is just not cool. and yet some spots just toss the head. NAGL I tell you.

• We didn't even check for sushi. At home that's a regular treat. But when I'm here for over a week I'll need to know what's up.

• -Sushi Sam's in San Mateo (the line can be a bitch but it's a fun place to eat).

I cannot cosign this at all. Out of all the spots in San Mateo, I think they are far from budget and even further from good sushi. Especially if you're following the golden rule of roundeye/asian ratio. Plus those plywood ass benches they have are not comfortable. waah.

-Sushi Sam's in San Mateo (the line can be a bitch but it's a fun place to eat).

I cannot cosign this at all. Out of all the spots in San Mateo, I think they are far from budget and even further from good sushi. Especially if you're following the golden rule of roundeye/asian ratio. Plus those plywood ass benches they have are not comfortable. waah.

I don't know San Mateo that well so maybe there are far better spots. What's notable about Sushi Sam's isn't so much - to me - that it has a lot of non-Asians eating there but rather, it's much more heavily patronized by Chinese than Japanese. Not totally surprising given the city, after all, but telling, nonetheless.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i was dragged to pf changs today for my marketing class. even though it's billed as an "american chinese" joint, PF changs failed the asian restaurant test completely. i don't even think i saw a single chinese person working there.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    PF changs failed the asian restaurant test completely. i don't even think i saw a single chinese person working there.

So does the KFC in Tokyo fail the american restaurant test as well?

• i was dragged to pf changs today for my marketing class. even though it's billed as an "american chinese" joint, PF changs failed the asian restaurant test completely. i don't even think i saw a single chinese person working there.

"authenticity" aside, I'd say it's pretty hard to fuck with some of the dishes at PF Changs. seriously. I'm talmbout on a strictly "food" level some of that shit is delicious.