wiseguys appreciation

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
who knows how many times ive made this thread but seriously, these guys are one my biggest inspirations ever, and even though "ooh la la" and "start the commotion" WERE mild hits, i still feel like the wiseguys dont get enough recognition. both of the main albums are some of my FAVORITE shit of all time, no matter how you wanna categorize them...big beat, hip-hop, instrumental hip-hop, whatever...they are just Frickin' fun to listen to, quality shit, and some of the best sample-based music i will probably ever hear.thats all. who feels me. this shit is too Frickin' good.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    til the break of dawn dude.

You heard the Ladies Say Ow! EP they did in around '91 ? The Real Vibes is my fave track by Wiseguys (I've got an MP3 if you haven't heard it).

Love the consistent vibe of The Wiseguys. Absolutely love it. Its a pity Touche went off and did other things.

Gentleman of Leisure by Jadell is also on a par with Executive Suite IMO.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I wonder if anyone from Glitterhouse ever got paid after the monster success of Ooh La La?

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    If you like the Wiseguys, you should check Harmonic 33's Extraordinary People

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    thanks for the suggestions dudes. was that "real vibes" track on one of the "give em enough dope" comps? i bought both because they had wiseguys stuff on them. the tracks i heard were a little less organized than the later output but great nonetheless.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    funny... i listened to the Executive Suite LP yesterday. Great record. I love their sound. Still a favorite.

I remeber comparing ako's beats to the Wiseguys

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I remeber comparing ako's beats to the Wiseguys

rightly so, plenty of influence.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Ako, fancy a copy of that "ladies say ow" EP ? (white label though, no label or cover). Trade with common stuff is ok. PM.

• Agreed. its fun music and well produced. I likes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wonder if anyone from Glitterhouse ever got paid after the monster success of Ooh La La?

Probably not. They were on a major though, right? Fontana or something?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Dynovoice. Bob Crewe's label.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Dynovoice. Bob Crewe's label.

Word, yeah. Happy birthday dude.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Random Wiseguys fact: Touche was one of London's most well-known graffiti writers in the early 90s.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Random Wiseguys fact: Touche was one of London's most well-known graffiti writers in the early 90s.

He's now one half of the Black Ghosts with Simon Lord, formerly of Simian.

• Random Wiseguy fact: DJ Regal who left the group before they got big, lives today in Australia and toured Europe this summer with a new record out. Haven't heard it though).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

As in SMD? Interesting...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Its a pity Touche went off and did other things.

What did he go on to do? I haven't heard anything about him since the Wiseguys.

I don't think Simon has anything to do with SMD; that's James Ford & James Shaw. SMD was a name they used to use for their remix work, and it became an act in its own right when Simian broke up. It's Simon who sings lead on "Never Be Alone", though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't think Simon has anything to do with SMD; that's James Ford & James Shaw. SMD was a name they used to use for their remix work, and it became an act in its own right when Simian broke up. It's Simon who sings lead on "Never Be Alone", though.

Ah okay. I really need to learn up about my hipster stuff.

What ever happened to the other dude in Simian... the brown-haired bass player. I once met all those guys in Chicago and they were super cool.

What ever happened to the other dude in Simian... the brown-haired bass player. I once met all those guys in Chicago and they were super cool.

Dude third from left/second from right? That's Simon. He's shaved his head since then.

Ah okay. I really need to learn up about my hipster stuff.

I'm not really an authority on current hipster favourites, but I kind of know Simon, as we played in the same band, although not at the same time. Black Ghosts are worth checking out though.

Dude third from left/second from right? That's Simon. He's shaved his head since then.

I guess this is offically becoming a threadjack, but I was thinking of the dude second from the left. Here's a picture I took (not a great one) of them from 2003 or so, right when they put out their second record.

• gotta agree with everything what Ako said about Wisegus

Random Wiseguy fact: DJ Regal who left the group before they got big, lives today in Australia and toured Europe this summer with a new record out. Haven't heard it though).

his new record is ok, nothing really exciting or really fresh but also nothing boring
    just good produced 90's style instrumental hiphop/downtempo album which is nice to listen to from time to time

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    i'd love to hear some of their stuff. DL away.