GRAPHIC DESIGNER DUDES (font related)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
... I need some help!HAH! What else in new.NO seriously, I need to get my hands on a font that is teh same, or is somewhat like the jawn on the Fleetwood Mac jawnIs that a real font? Point me in the right direction, player.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    pretty sure that's hand drawn, although there might be one similar out there.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    fuck out of here...

nah for real...as far as I know you can't really make a font that crosses across the other letters...it would have to be part of the other letter...so a word would have to be pre-determined.

• nah for real...as far as I know you can't really make a font that crosses across the other letters...it would have to be part of the other letter...so a word would have to be pre-determined.

but certain typefaces have ligatures - two letters that connect together.

see the NT connection in Avant Garde:

• More examples of awesome Avant Garde Bold ligatures...

I don't know what that Fleetwood Mac typeface is unfortunately.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    edited by spaceghost because he looked up a word

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    nah for real...as far as I know you can't really make a font that crosses across the other letters...it would have to be part of the other letter...so a word would have to be pre-determined.

but certain typefaces have ligatures - two letters that connect together.

see the NT connection in Avant Garde:

Damn that Avant Garde shit is blaze as well. Yo 2600, I just dropped you a holler. Holler at me hus

More examples of awesome Avant Garde Bold ligatures...

I don't know what that Fleetwood Mac typeface is unfortunately.

is that a font you can use in illustrator etc? how do you drop in a grouped letter?

• that looks like some hand drawn shit too.

It was originally hand-drawn by the late, great typographer and graphic designer Herb Lubalin (me and AKO's favorite) as the logo for Avant Garde magazine. Issue after issue, he would use the same style of original lettering for various article headers throughout the magazine, eventually developing it into an entire typeface, complete with that great NT ligature. Unfortunately, the GA connection isn't there. Oh well.

• is that a font you can use in illustrator etc? how do you drop in a grouped letter?

Mine is scanned in from the Letraset rub-on alphabet sheet, so all my assembling is done letter-by-letter in Photoshop.

You can get the face here and do some hand-manipulating in Illustrator (ie: "convert to outlines" and then move shit around to your liking).

is that a font you can use in illustrator etc? how do you drop in a grouped letter?

Mine is scanned in from the Letraset rub-on alphabet sheet, so all my assembling is done letter-by-letter in Photoshop.

You can get the face here and do some hand-manipulating in Illustrator (ie: "convert to outlines" and then move shit around to your liking).

word thanks.

was figuring it would have had to be hand done somewhat. but then i re-read your first post and understood that they came in groups. i was just wondering if the font was somehow smart enough to know when certain letters are next to each other, similar to the way that ms word makes an ellipsis a special character. im not a graphic designer so im not on the fonts and graphics programs all day, but i have to use em quite a bit. was thinking there was some tool i hadn't learned about yet..

proper design homie

• gotta represent my good friend

http://www.goines.net/

not really but he IS ill

It may not be what you're looking for, but dammit if it doesn't make you wanna eat a Guinness.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Goines is that shit-stain. I've got his poster book...inspiration for days. Illustration and type all as one and one as all.

• i love how quick i can get a response about some rr poster steez

• whoa - never heard of david goines before, but that shit is great.

here's the lubalin piece i've been trippin off of for the last 24 hours...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    game over

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Lubalin is indeed the master of type... here're some goines works

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    There was no such thing as fonts back then. At least not how we know them today. Everything was done by hand until approx. 1980. Most of the older records we look at were all done by hand. Every photo, text, color, etc.. was all done by hand with films in layers and typesets etc.... Many people lost their jobs as a result of the computer age.

There is a former master of this in my home town of SD named Jack Adler. Oddly enough he is an avid record collector and is currenty employed at San Diego's own Record City. If you get him started he will go on for days about all the crazy types of stuff they used to do in the print shop. Everything was one color at a time layered etc..

Listen to this crazy idea....Hand draw it!

-Algarth

• Sort of related, John Langdon did the palindrome illustrations for Angels and Demons. There are some nice logos and illos on his site.

-Can anyone recommend any good design forums/message board? What's the soulstrut of the design world?

-The Fleetwood Mac jawn definitely looks hand drawn.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

that's an all time fave of mine... masterpeace!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    fonts do exist that overlap eachother, but that fleetwood mac steez was definately drawn on its own...

example: coverty garden

beards and fronts[/b] rule...

fonts do exist that overlap eachother, but that fleetwood mac steez was definately drawn on its own...

not the same...there's plenty of fonts like that that can cross over or under because no matter what letter you use it's the same arc (in the case of this font, one of 2 arcs in either direction), that's what I meant by pre-determined. but there's no font that can simply cross across the letters without being pre-determined.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

not the same...there's plenty of fonts like that that can cross over or under because no matter what letter you use it's the same arc (in the case of this font, one of 2 arcs in either direction), that's what I meant by pre-determined. but there's no font that can simply cross across the letters without being pre-determined.

ya, in the sense of various overlapping, its not going to happen predetermined overlapping is always impresive though

• Sort of related, John Langdon did the palindrome illustrations for Angels and Demons. There are some nice logos and illos on his site.

-Can anyone recommend any good design forums/message board? What's the soulstrut of the design world?

-The Fleetwood Mac jawn definitely looks hand drawn.

yo, this is some sik shit... Tha City of Brotherly Love is DOOOOOOOOOOPE

I read that angels & Demons book, and was totally fascinated with those ambigrams (they look the same if they are rotated 180 deg.!!).

Is that guy's name really John Langdon???... isn't that also the name of the main character in the book???

(edit:... just remembered that it's Robert Langdon in the book - named after the artist)

• parenparen 537 Posts
    gotta represent my good friend

http://www.goines.net/

not really but he IS ill

It may not be what you're looking for, but dammit if it doesn't make you wanna eat a Guinness.

• -Can anyone recommend any good design forums/message board? What's the soulstrut of the design world?

typophile.com(i think mr casual male linked me to this in an older post)..

but anymore worth reading?