Expensive Jeans - Yay or Nay? - NRR

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    they loved Joe's Jeans,

yes , that's the brand that my girlfriend swears is "made for her" , i just don't know where to get them.

Please ask her for me - she lives here right?

I've learned more about jeans on SStrut than I ever imagined!

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    jeans are jeans... i think i have 3-5 pairs but stick to 1-2 pairs and just keep the shirts on constant rotation. my girl on the other hand... i have to distract her while walking thru macy's/nordstroms or else it's WHOA.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Whoever said Century21/Loehmans/etc please be aware that most of the shit that ends up there has problems. That could be as little as a mis-measured pocket seam or as major as the thing totally falling apart in the wash. Plaese to not think that random racks of Gucci shit just happen to end up marked down 75%.

As a committed bargain-hunter who believes it's possible to look fly on a budget, I never visit NYC without hitting up Century21 at least once. I can honestly say I've never copped anything faulty there, although I haven't bought a pair of jeans there for a while. One thing I've noticed on more recent visits is they've got wise to the light-fingered Brits who used to steal the sought-after sleeve tags from Stone Island sweaters & coats, and that's where they now place the security tags.

Well yeah that's the thing, a lot of the mistakes or inconsistencies are things only the design team would notice, but occasionally you will get something defective. A lot of times you'll only notice after several wears or washes because the color doesn't hold like it should, or threads start to fray, or whatever.

I don't know dude. I'm pretty sure that most of the stuff that's there is there because it's out of season. 'Imperfect' garments are usually marked 'Imperfect', so you know what you're getting into. I have never had a problem with clothes falling apart, or one sleeve longer than the other type shit. I will also say that i know places like Century 21 and Loehmanns have dudes that frequent smaller shops grim reaper style, clearing out old inventory.

Bassie, I'm not sure height-wise how these brands figure, but check for: Ernest Sewn, Salt, Paper, whatever Calvin Klein's current high-end line is called, Joe's (as was stated) and Juicy Couture (does J. Lindeberg do women's denim?). A lot of high end designers (Marc Jacobs, Gucci, et cetera) make denims that are expensive, but they're not great. As far as I'm concerned, if you're buying expensive denim stick to brands whose primary focus is denim.

• Certainly a lot of it is off-season stuff that did not sell the previous season; also a lot of it is trial runs that never made it to the rack, so you're sometimes seeing "rare" clothing that never made mass production.

That said, the reason most of that stuff gets dumped is because of manufacturing inconsistencies. Most times, the issue is something you wouldn't even care to try, like how flame-retardant a fabric is or whether or not it will "bubble" in the rain.

I've certainly bought my fair share of "off" garments and I would say 75% of them have worked out.

I'm wearing a pair of Mark Jacobs jeans right now that I bought at Century 21, that don't quite hold their hue as they should; it's not noticeable enough to retire them, but it is noticeable enough to remember where I bought them and say to myself, "you get what you pay for".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've certainly bought my fair share of "off" garments

I'm wearing a pair of Mark Jacobs jeans right now that I bought at Century 21

^^^^^^^^^^^^^NOT AT ALL A BALLAH

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    apc can be found in Toronto at TNT Blu, Holt and Nomad. Your best bets are the first two for womens, or if you want you can always order online from apc's website. Alas I know it's jeans so you would want to try them out first. Their denim tends to stretch out a bit, but then again this happens to denim nerds that don't wash their jeans for 6 months to get natural wear marks. Somehow I don't think you are into that. Plus washing will cause the denim to shrink back down. Keep in mind you do have to size up for raw denim. Brands vary, but in general the waist shrinks by 2 and the inseam by 3. APC's come only in one inseam, so they need to be hemmed down, preferrably chainstitched. I don't think anyone in Toronto does chainstitching.

Uniqlo's women's range all use kaihara denim also, only it's not selvage. Here is their lineup. The prices in Asia are lower than the US pricing.

Women??? Fits:
    -Extreme Skinny Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Skinny Fit Tapered Jeans for $49.50
    -Skinny Fit Straight Jeans for 49.50
    -Slim Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Regular Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Regular Fit Bootcut Jeans for $49.50
    -Boyfriend Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Boyfriend Relaxed Straight Fit Jeans for $49.50
    -Wide Leg Fit Straight Jeans for $59.50
    -Extreme Wide Leg Fit Straight Jeans for $59.50

Men???s Fits:
    -Selvedge Skinny Fit Jeans for $79.50
    -Selvedge Regular Fit Straight Jeans for $79.50
    -Slim Fit Bootcut Jeans for $49.50
    -Relaxed Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50

The most accessible premium denim are nudies, I'm not a big fan of the arcuate design but they're easily found and use quality materials.

The best makers of jeans in general are all from Japan. Brands to check for are Studio D'artisan, Sugarcane, Samurai, 45rpm, Denime, etc. Expect to pay $200+ min all the way up to $700 for 45rpm's.

You can find these brands at.....

Blue in Green - soho, nyc

Self Edge - sf

Personally, I like Studio D'artisan, but mostly I just wear levi's or uniqlo. I prefer the silhouette of 1947 501's.

all that typing for jeans, how nerdy.

• I've certainly bought my fair share of "off" garments

you're right. My girl buys me all the expensive shit.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

PLease, two months ago dude was asking what collared shirts to buy. He probably just found out about Marc[/b] Jacobs this morning.

• Total agreement with Aser. Highly recommend APC or Somet.
    Well made jeans will last!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i really dig the first edition evisu jeans (came out in 98 i think). i got about 4 pairs of them, but i never actually bought them. i used to spin for some fashion stores and thats where i got em from.. i think i would never pay more than 120$ for a jeans..
    but i have to say that those evisus are build to last.. very nice material and they fit perfect. love em. also really dig apc and acne at the moment.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Their denim tends to stretch out a bit, but then again this happens to denim nerds that don't wash their jeans for 6 months to get natural wear marks. Somehow I don't think you are into that. Plus washing will cause the denim to shrink back down. Keep in mind you do have to size up for raw denim. Brands vary, but in general the waist shrinks by 2 and the inseam by 3. APC's come only in one inseam, so they need to be hemmed down, preferrably chainstitched. I don't think anyone in Toronto does chainstitching.

Uniqlo's women's range all use kaihara denim also, only it's not selvage. Here is their lineup. The prices in Asia are lower than the US pricing.

Women??? Fits:
    -Extreme Skinny Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Skinny Fit Straight Jeans for 49.50
    -Boyfriend Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50
    -Boyfriend Relaxed Straight Fit Jeans for $49.50
    -Wide Leg Fit Straight Jeans for $59.50
    -Extreme Wide Leg Fit Straight Jeans for $59.50

Men???s Fits:
    -Selvedge Skinny Fit Jeans for $79.50
    -Selvedge Regular Fit Straight Jeans for $79.50
    -Slim Fit Bootcut Jeans for $49.50
    -Relaxed Fit Straight Jeans for $49.50

The most accessible premium denim are nudies, I'm not a big fan of the arcuate design but they're easily found and use quality materials.

The best makers of jeans in general are all from Japan. Brands to check for are Studio D'artisan, Sugarcane, Samurai, 45rpm, Denime, etc. Expect to pay $200+ min all the way up to $700 for 45rpm's.

You can find these brands at.....

Blue in Green - soho, nyc

Self Edge - sf

Personally, I like Studio D'artisan, but mostly I just wear levi's or uniqlo. I prefer the silhouette of 1947 501's.

all that typing for jeans, how nerdy.

Do you have an agent? Or perhaps a class? Where do I sign up?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Edwin is that shit. I also rock Carhart and Levis.

• I guess you're the one on the left?

I haven't really peeped those weird hoodies, but that's kinda cool. That Joker art is iconic.

Nah, all that Lot 29 shit is ugly as hell. I always see their ads in corny rap mags w/ the ugliest cartoon shit. Peep the current Cassidy/Joker/etc ads..yuck!

• I've certainly bought my fair share of "off" garments

PLease, two months ago dude was asking what collared shirts to buy. He probably just found out about Mar
    c[/b] Jacobs this morning.

Please - you've never in your life seen me ask for fashion advice on soulstrut.

I was raiding Century21 back when you were freestyling barefoot and posting here as "noth".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

PLease, two months ago dude was asking what collared shirts to buy. He probably just found out about Mar

I was raiding Century21 back when you were freestyling barefoot and posting here as "noth".

Haha... it hath been tooken there.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I thought dude was talking about/replying to Brian.

• Some things money can't buy. Not walking around in old navy jeans is.... priceless.

For all you cheapos, just go to nordstrom rack or hit stores on sales. A decent pair of jeans will be within your reach.

NOT wondering what brand jeans your homies are wearing...priceless.

• i got a free pair of evisu/puma collab jeans for djing at the store in chicago last year. i would have never dropped the $185 on them, but i can confirm that they are of excellent quality. so far, they've held up much nicer than the levi's that i paid for.

• *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUND MARRIED )

MARRIED CHEAPOS STAND UP!

• sergserg 682 Posts
    can someone tell me why the fuck fancy jeans have pockets sown like half way shut? Does putting your whole hand in a pocket ruin its newness?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    can someone tell me why the fuck fancy jeans have pockets sown like half way shut? Does putting your whole hand in a pocket ruin its newness?

Style > Function.....get fam

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Calm yourself page master, I was definitely clowning on Brian, not you. And I was most definitely up in the stacks at Century 21 back then too (on visits to the NY).

Edit: I was in flip flops, not barefoot.

• Ill freestyle clip, too. Got it laying around still?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Ill freestyle clip, too. Got it laying around still?

I wish. It was acutally on a website for some half-rate Wu rip-off group in Orlando called Golden Stormz. Still rapping though.

• This whole thread gets a big-

take that shit to superfuture.com...

• sergserg 682 Posts

Style > Function.....get fam

yeah but then you remove the string to open up the whole pocket. I don't understand why the fuck they have incorporated dog food bag string sealing technology into jeans. what is the purpose?

• I am wearing Rustler jeans right now and they are comfortable.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I think we need a track pants appreciation thread.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Speaking of Jeans........

http://www.hierojeans.com/

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Speaking of Jeans........

http://www.hierojeans.com/

Oh lord.

I was praying that wasn't what I thought it was.

It was.

Oh lord.