Expensive Jeans - Yay or Nay? - NRR

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.

!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    best looking jeans I own cost me 45 euros

• Whoever said Century21/Loehmans/etc please be aware that most of the shit that ends up there has problems. That could be as little as a mis-measured pocket seam or as major as the thing totally falling apart in the wash. Plaese to not think that random racks of Gucci shit just happen to end up marked down 75%.

As a committed bargain-hunter who believes it's possible to look fly on a budget, I never visit NYC without hitting up Century21 at least once. I can honestly say I've never copped anything faulty there, although I haven't bought a pair of jeans there for a while. One thing I've noticed on more recent visits is they've got wise to the light-fingered Brits who used to steal the sought-after sleeve tags from Stone Island sweaters & coats, and that's where they now place the security tags.

Well yeah that's the thing, a lot of the mistakes or inconsistencies are things only the design team would notice, but occasionally you will get something defective. A lot of times you'll only notice after several wears or washes because the color doesn't hold like it should, or threads start to fray, or whatever.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The problem w/ 200+ jaens is that some of the styles are so "of the now" and cant be rocked in 3 years.

Yea - I stick to classic cuts for jeans/pants and if I'm really into a "now" look, I try to not spend too much on it - or hang on to it, cause you know that look is coming back one of these days.* The reason I really liked these is that they are straight leg and really dark denim. They're not flared or super skinny or have stupidly placed fading...they're just a nice lean pair of dark jeans.

*I went through a whole bunch of boxes at my parents' recently and pulled like five things I wore in high school that I love and can't wait to wear again. One thing is this amazing lemon yellow a-line wool mini dress with a very slight empire waist and pockets.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Whoever said Century21/Loehmans/etc please be aware that most of the shit that ends up there has problems. That could be as little as a mis-measured pocket seam or as major as the thing totally falling apart in the wash. Plaese to not think that random racks of Gucci shit just happen to end up marked down 75%.

As a committed bargain-hunter who believes it's possible to look fly on a budget, I never visit NYC without hitting up Century21 at least once. I can honestly say I've never copped anything faulty there, although I haven't bought a pair of jeans there for a while. One thing I've noticed on more recent visits is they've got wise to the light-fingered Brits who used to steal the sought-after sleeve tags from Stone Island sweaters & coats, and that's where they now place the security tags.

Well yeah that's the thing, a lot of the mistakes or inconsistencies are things only the design team would notice, but occasionally you will get something defective. A lot of times you'll only notice after several wears or washes because the color doesn't hold like it should, or threads start to fray, or whatever.

You can usually go to a place like that and come away with something--but if you go committed to coming away with a pair of jeans on that particular day, you may well end up with something that doesn't fit right, is a factory second, etc.

Looking fly on a budget entails a serious time commitment.

• Levis til I die, no reason to spend more than $40 on a pair of jeans if you are a dude...

also cosign on the ebay for attire...I was about to plop down 2 bills for these bad boys:

got em on ebay for $67....

• i find it impossible to find jeans that fit, cause i have thunder-thighs from hell and my ass is huge.

EXPECT A P.M. FROM A GITTY MEXICAN IN THE SOUTHWEST.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.

See, now this was both funny and appropriate.

Mad extra points if you post a pic of yourself in Malcolm/KRS-esque pose rocking some Jordache and a SuperSoaker.
    kanye said it

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    $50 GAP jeans are expense to me. Bought 3 of them recently. Used to buy Old Navy jeans which are horrible and wear out within months. They're dirt cheap though.

My girlfriend and I got hip to the Nordstroms return policy which is moreorless an unlimited return policy so if you have some cash to throw around you can buy some nice clothes, wear them as long as you want and return them when you need the cash.

funny sice crap & old gravy are owned by same people..

Yeah, I know but there is a difference in quality. Same company trying to hit up two different markets.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.

really? i thought they both targeted suckers, cuz they do a good job of it...

Hey!
    Listen - Gap does a shorter length and that means a lot to 5'2".

They're not the best but they have lasted me a long time which is more than I can say for that Mavi crap.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Gap does a shorter length and that means a lot to 5'2".

• PAGING SCHNIPPER

I can't wait to come to New York.

Oh shit! I just saw this photo was taken at Scarborough Town Cente! LOL!!

I can't wait to come to New York.

I guess you're the one on the left?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this thread is so soulstrut

I don't know what's going on anymore.

What's the story with Cheap Monday jeans? Are they any good? Do they make any that are not the skinny cut?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    What's the story with Cheap Monday jeans? Are they any good? Do they make any that are not the skinny cut?
    my girl wears those (i can't believe i remembered the brand) and she looks great in them. she's been wearing them for a while so i guess she digs them. i'll ask her later for some further details and get back to you.

my girl wears those (i can't believe i remembered the brand) and she looks great in them. she's been wearing them for a while so i guess she digs them. i'll ask her later for some further details and get back to you.

I would appreciate that...thanks a lot!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    here's some different cheap monday jeans.

http://caliroots.com/system/search/search.asp?container=15&_ot=2&_gt=2&msid=88&csid=0

anyway, i had a pair that wore out really fast. that was a while ago though

Thanks for that - I guess that answers my question about whether they make anything else other than the skinny cut...well, there's always their pinafore dress!

• Ever ask yourself why someone is selling you something below wholesale?

Because the cost of production + materials on most "boutique jeans" is roughly $1.60 -$4.25?

Being in this business, I see both sides of the coin. This is a huge misconception. Most of the well known premium denim companies hand make these. They go through extensive wash processes. All the "hip" distresses that are on the jeans to make them look vintage are done by hand and made domestically! granted they don't cost 300 to make the break down probably looks a little like this:

300 at retail
    150-175 at wholesale
    50-75 at cost between materials

i see the arguments on these all day long, but i have seen it so many times where premium denim makes a big difference in the appearance. i hate the way levi's look on both men and women. but to each their own...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    My girlfriend bought me a pair of SIXTY jeans for christmas a few years back and they are the best jeans I have ever had .. amazing fit and unlike any 40-50 dollar jeans.. i think they were $250 on SPECIAL SALE though..
    When I have a few hun. to throw around i will definitely get another pair of that brand.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I haven't really peeped those weird hoodies, but that's kinda cool. That Joker art is iconic.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    they loved Joe's Jeans,

yes , that's the brand that my girlfriend swears is "made for her" , i just don't know where to get them. I'm a little out of touch with the 'hi-fasshun' (sp?) industry.