Expensive Jeans - Yay or Nay? - NRR

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT. Jeans that look good on you can be hard to find, once you find 'em, get 'em. Whether it's *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUMD MARRIED ) or some shit only Aser knows about (I WAITED IN LINE FOR THESE PANTZ, BRO!).

It's basically like records, you can find some great clothes for dirt cheap but eventually you're going to have to break-bread, it's the game. You can't always be rocking the Winelight-level jeans, yoaming?

I'm wearing a lacoste shirt I got from the thrift with a hundred dollar Polo Scarf. I don't give a fuck, I probally dress flyer than most of you dudes on y'all best day

SHA-SHAY SHONTAY with a finger snap and a hipswish.

Get on my level of comely-ness.

Well said indeed.
    And a tip on the Lacoste side of things....get that shit on ebay! Mailed directly to your house - brand new in the plastic Lacoste bag - for about a 1/4 the price....black orginal size 5 YEP!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT. Jeans that look good on you can be hard to find, once you find 'em, get 'em. Whether it's *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUMD MARRIED ) or some shit only Aser knows about (I WAITED IN LINE FOR THESE PANTZ, BRO!).

It's basically like records, you can find some great clothes for dirt cheap but eventually you're going to have to break-bread, it's the game. You can't always be rocking the Winelight-level jeans, yoaming?

I'm wearing a lacoste shirt I got from the thrift with a hundred dollar Polo Scarf. I don't give a fuck, I probally dress flyer than most of you dudes on y'all best day

HAHA this is a classic Young Phonics post.

Only on SoulStrut will you find people comparing buying clothes to buying records.

It is true that finding a great pair of jeans is hard. And considering how much I wear jeans it's the one thing I'd be willing to spend good money on. But anything over $80 is really pushing it.

• Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT. Jeans that look good on you can be hard to find, once you find 'em, get 'em. Whether it's *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUMD MARRIED ) or some shit only Aser knows about (I WAITED IN LINE FOR THESE PANTZ, BRO!).

HAHA this is a classic Young Phonics post.

Only on SoulStrut will you find people comparing buying clothes to buying records.

It is true that finding a great pair of jeans is hard. And considering how much I wear jeans it's the one thing I'd be willing to spend good money on. But anything over $80 is really pushing it.

I think i'm equating records and clothes because I've been spending more time buying and shopping for gear than I have been records. I mean, i'd much rather spend my money on some clothes than records at this point. I'm pathetically vain like that maybe because I dressed mad bumy for most of my life.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i find it impossible to find jeans that fit, cause i have thunder-thighs from hell and my ass is huge.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    i find it impossible to find jeans that fit, cause i have thunder-thighs from hell and my ass is huge.

Just steer clear of low riders and cutoffs and all should be good.

Plus Im hearing that "mom jeans" and high waisted styles are back in so you can floss the frontal crack like fanny pack.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

And a tip on the Lacoste side of things....get that shit on ebay! Mailed directly to your house - brand new in the plastic Lacoste bag - for about a 1/4 the price....black orginal size 5 YEP!

I need some Lacoste in my life.

• (Miss) Bassie,

if they fit you like no other pants do, go for 'em! Hard like hell to find jeans that really fit - if they do than thats all that matters. Good jeans > money imo.

the ubiquitous greamlin for this post is:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

My best pair of jeans are made by Diesel and cost $300.00

Only they didn't > got 'em in Bangkok for about $20.00, probably came from the same outlet but get loaded into a different truck. Next time I'm out there I'm picking up multiple copies.

• Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT. Jeans that look good on you can be hard to find, once you find 'em, get 'em. Whether it's *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUMD MARRIED ) or some shit only Aser knows about (I WAITED IN LINE FOR THESE PANTZ, BRO!).

Well said indeed.

Let it be known, that the Lacoste on Ebay is bootleg city. All that crazy discounted shit..new with tags and printed clear bag..straight outta Hong Kong style. For real. If you dont mind the bootlegs..and the different fit, then go for it..just know you can definitely tell a difference between the real joints and the booties(cut,fit,etc).

Read around..its pretty common knowledge on Ebay and the net..shit is abundant like fake Jordans on there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yo A******, I have to echo the sentiment that (for the most part) asking dudes on Soulstrut about buying expensive jeans seems to be out of place. I mean REALLY... know what I'm saying?

Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT.

Who knew asking about folks' thoughts on pricey jeans would be deemed suspect behaviour on the Strut, even though folks talk about clothes on here all the time...sounds like I crossed a line. Had I posted a picture of me and asked what people thought of the fit - yea, bizarre and creepy, otherwise...

I totally appreciate the different perspectives, I think I'm sold on the idea, but I'm going to pass for now - there's a record show this weekend and a few things coming up on ebay that I really want so that's potentially a few hundred I'd rather spend. Expensive jeans aren't going anywhwere!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    there's a record show this weekend

???

Where 'dis?

there's a record show this weekend

???

Where 'dis?

Madison Convention Centre at Finch W. and Arrow Rd. on Sunday - 10 - 4, check musicalcollectables.com

• FWIW, I dj'ed a Denim Event at Barney's a few weeks back, where reps from all sorts of different denim vendors were in store. Some were cool, and some weren't.

But, after the event, I went out for drinks with some of the buyers from the store, and they are denim SCIENTISTS. From cut, construction, material, etc. And, they TOTALLY convinced me that expensive jeans can be worth the difference.

Expensive jeans aren't just about a name brand. (though, some are: they had some things to say about T*** R*******- "For the young girl who wants a bejeweled butt...") They echoed a company line, saying they strive for well made jeans, that favor material, fit, and construction over needless flash. And, they know they're shit- they loved Joe's Jeans, JBrand, ACNE (for the thinner among us), and a few others that I forgot.

And, they weren't bad mouthing cheap jeans by any means- just saying to find what fits you best, and enjoy it. Which, sometimes, can cost money- but, is very often, worth it.

• Some nice vintage jeans pop up on Ebay a good bit(I pay attention to Levi's the most,though)..although I never win.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Sounds like some bootleg alligators to me.
    Ever ask yourself why someone is selling you something below wholesale?

As far as jeans go, buy whatever fits and feels good.
    I buy one expensive pair a year and wear the shit out of em.
    My last two pairs have been APC, plain simple raw denim.
    No fancy washes or distressing, or stupid triangle pockets.
    Just a well made pair of pants.
    I highly recommend them.

As far as jeans go, buy whatever fits and feels good.
    I buy one expensive pair a year and wear the shit out of em.
    My last two pairs have been APC, plain simple raw denim.
    No fancy washes or distressing, or stupid triangle pockets.
    Just a well made pair of pants.
    I highly recommend them.

I'm a huge fan of APC and they are actually the one brand I'll spend money on. The selection in Toronto for their gear is limited, but I will have to check again to see if they have jeans now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In seriousness, I think jeans are pretty much the most sensible clothing item to splash out on.

You're going to get a lot of wear out of a $200 pair of jeans that you really like. Contrast that with a suit which (I hope) most people on here would not hesitate to spend more than $200 on, but which they'd get far less wear out of.

• Ever ask yourself why someone is selling you something below wholesale?

Because the cost of production + materials on most "boutique jeans" is roughly $1.60 -$4.25?

In seriousness, I think jeans are pretty much the most sensible clothing item to splash out on.

Yea, it's just the leap from $90 to $225. I still have a pair of jeans that I wear from 6 yrs ago and they're actually in decent shape. It's like shoes, with enough of them, so you're not wearing the same ones all the time and with care, things will last and still look good. The big thing with jeans is to always wash in cold water inside out and always hang dry.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I usually buy whatever Supreme Jeans come in each season. Usually about $100-$130 a pair. Just grab the 34s and they never let me down. I picked up this season's the other day, got home, and put them on. Even supreme is on this skinny shit. how am i supposed to get my phone out of my pocket when it rings???

• I usually buy whatever Supreme Jeans come in each season. Usually about $100-$130 a pair. Just grab the 34s and they never let me down. I picked up this season's the other day, got home, and put them on. Even supreme is on this skinny shit. how am i supposed to get my phone out of my pocket when it rings???

Get a fanny pack.

I usually buy whatever Supreme Jeans come in each season. Usually about $100-$130 a pair. Just grab the 34s and they never let me down. I picked up this season's the other day, got home, and put them on. Even supreme is on this skinny shit. how am i supposed to get my phone out of my pocket when it rings???

Get a fanny pack.

...or a bluetooth earpiece joint (looks real good with tight jeans)

• My girlfriend and I got hip to the Nordstroms return policy which is moreorless an unlimited return policy so if you have some cash to throw around you can buy some nice clothes, wear them as long as you want and return them when you need the cash.

REAL CLASSY

b/w

Whoever said Century21/Loehmans/etc please be aware that most of the shit that ends up there has problems. That could be as little as a mis-measured pocket seam or as major as the thing totally falling apart in the wash. Plaese to not think that random racks of Gucci shit just happen to end up marked down 75%.

b/b/w

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Get a fanny pack.

...or a bluetooth earpiece joint (looks real good with tight jeans)

Fanny Pack & Blue Tooth = Douchetard

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My limit is around $150 which I only got to last year.

The problem w/ 200+ jaens is that some of the styles are so "of the now" and cant be rocked in 3 years.
    I have a couple of regular priced joints that look like Last Century steez.
    Now a high end pair of Levis that can be worn for 10+ years is that shit.

Like alot of those Diesel Jeans that were hot in '99 and cost 150+ aint doin it.

If u got the money........

Whoever said Century21/Loehmans/etc please be aware that most of the shit that ends up there has problems. That could be as little as a mis-measured pocket seam or as major as the thing totally falling apart in the wash. Plaese to not think that random racks of Gucci shit just happen to end up marked down 75%.

I'm saying--part of the point of splashing out on nice schitt is that you can get it in the right size and without any defects.

• I mean, I fucks with Century21... but when your Mark Jacobs starts reading "Art Favor" don't be mad

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    if you don't have to eat like crap for a week to do so, then buy it.

people seem to forget levi's also sells $300 jeans in their lvc line.

uniqlo relaunched their selvage line using kaihara denim recently but I think it's only mens for now? They're pretty nice, the asian market ones at least.

Yeah, I have a friend who's Something Big In Fashion, and she reckons that Uniqlo range is the best value on the market if you want something stylish on a budget.

I've bought expensive jeans before - in fact, I'm wearing a pair of Edwins right now that cost the equivalent of $160 - but as Cos points out upthread, you do get what you pay for. I have an eight-year-old pair of Evisu which are only just beginning to wear out, and that's after my virtually living in them for much of that time. They're the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned. I gotta say, the all-round quality of some of these premium denim brands is unfuckwittable, so I don't have a problem with shelling out extra now and again.

• This thread is mad entertaining.
    I'm rocking $220 jeans that I bought for $110 since the designer was having a showcase downtown. I can't front, these jeans hold together and look better than any other pairs I have. I copped a $90 pair not too long ago and they ripped below the crotchel region when i was getting up on a high stage to DJ

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

As a committed bargain-hunter who believes it's possible to look fly on a budget, I never visit NYC without hitting up Century21 at least once. I can honestly say I've never copped anything faulty there, although I haven't bought a pair of jeans there for a while. One thing I've noticed on more recent visits is they've got wise to the light-fingered Brits who used to steal the sought-after sleeve tags from Stone Island sweaters & coats, and that's where they now place the security tags.