Options

Free local WiFi networks, anyone use them?

edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I know there are some areas that have experimented with putting in free citywide WiFi networks, I'm pretty sure there were a few out in California but I can't recall which cities. I always hear news items about "xyz town or city" putting in a free network, but never hear any followup as to whether or not they are working. Does anyone here live in an area where they get some use out of these services? I know Philly is planning a big rollout, as is Boston. I haven't the slightest idea where Europe stands. Most of you might be aware that all U.S television signals have to be converted to digital next year or the year after. The government (U.S. govt.) will be auctioning off the old UHF spectrum since it will no longer be needed and according to Conde Nast Portfolio, Google is the early favorite to win this auction. What that means is Google can eventually have in place it's own countrywide wireless network where it can provide free ad-based wifi service. There is already talk of Google introducing their own phone next year, which is a very similar early buzz that the iPhone had two years before it dropped. If you've got the spare change it might be worth it to buy a share or two, I'm still kicking myself for selling at 350 (it's at 615 now).So is WiFI working so far? Are iPhone users happy with it? Verizon's EVDO works ok sometimes with my Treo, a bit difficult to access though but that might be Windows Mobile's fault. Article from Portfolio, by Kevin Maney
Google could be your phone company. This possibility begins with the broadcast signals that once carried hokey sitcoms (Green Acres! The Munsters!) to TV rabbit ears. Those signals are about to become useless as sets go digital and the government prepares to auction off the old analog UHF spectrum in January. The odds-on favorite to win is Google, which has conditionally offered to meet the $4.6 billion opening bid. The auction will take the price much higher.Google won???t say what it would do with the spectrum, but it???s expected to turn its acquisition into a nationwide wireless internet, thereby pureeing existing telecom business models. It???s easy to imagine Google offering a free, ad-based wireless voice-and-data service in exchange for, say, your turning on your phone???s G.P.S. location tracker so the company can serve you ads for the Krispy Kreme shop you???re about to pass. What???s another hunk of privacy lost if it saves you some dough?As Greg Butz, a senior vice president at cable operator Comcast, which is also eyeing the UHF spectrum, notes, ???Customers are looking for someone to step in and redefine why they???re spending $120 a month on wireless.???Just a whiff of such a future has created consternation in one of the most important business sectors on the planet. The big cellular incumbents???AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint???could be toast. The cell companies have spent tens of billions of dollars building their networks. AT&T is $54 billion in debt; Verizon, $29 billion. Even a slight erosion of their customer base and pricing plans would hurt them. They could find themselves in that dangerous place where I.B.M. was in the early 1990s and where General Motors is now: with overpriced products and an overburdened legacy, unable to respond to disruption from below.Google won???t be the only interloper. We are witnessing a communications big bang???a moment when the industry explodes into shards and re-creates our talking and texting universe. Much of this has to do with the fairly recent advent of cheap, reliable WiFi and with our having reached the tipping point at which a significant portion of the population wants to be online everywhere, all the time. EBay???s Skype is starting to build thousands of WiFi hotspots, which will make it, in effect, a wireless phone company. Cities like Philadelphia are building quasi-public municipal WiFi networks, much as they once built sewers. As of August, 415 cities had WiFi networks in place, according to Muni Wireless. ???Somehow, along the way, telecom has become almost sexy,??? says Cisco Systems senior vice president Don Proctor, who???s giddy about the prospect of selling arms to all the industry???s combatants.New devices will act as agitators. The iPhone is an early example. Yes, it???s technically locked in to AT&T???s cellular network for calls. But iPhones also have WiFi, which means that even if you???re not as savvy as that 17-year-old who figured out how to unlock his iPhone, they can be rigged to make free calls on Skype or Jajah. Apple???s phone is not the only one with WiFi capability. About 75 million dual-mode cellular/WiFi phones of various makes will be sold worldwide this year, says Infonetics Research. By 2010, the total will be 285 million.Motorola, Cisco, Nokia, and others are experimenting with dual-mode phones that can smoothly hand off a call from one network to another. So if Jerry from accounting calls while you???re in the car, you???ll start talking over a cell network; and when you arrive at the office, the call will switch to your company???s much cheaper corporate WiFi. This may foil your plan to get rid of Jerry by saying you???re about to lose his call, but innovation often comes with a price.The next step is phones that work on any wireless network, the way any pot works on any stove. Google is pushing to have these so-called open phones work on the UHF spectrum, which would help end the practice of binding phones to certain networks and handcuffing customers to contracts. In other words, if the new spectrum opens the door for unlocked phones, then wireless companies could be forced to change the way they manipulate consumers and handset makers. It???s a change that Kevin Martin, the Federal Communications Commission chairman, wants. ???There would be some real consumer savings on the wireless side,??? Martin said in an interview early this year. More than that, it???s a transformation most consumers would like. Put it all together???the fear of Google, the new spectrum, new entrants, open phones???and it???s likely we???ll have a very different telecom industry a decade from now. As with today???s media business, in which CBS vies with YouTube, the communications sector will be a blend of old companies, brash newcomers like Google, and crazy startups with nothing to lose. For a while, this mess could be rough on users. At some moment in the not-so-distant future, you might stand on a street corner, pull out your wireless gadget, and be forced to decide how to make your call: on one of several cell networks, the city WiFi, Skype WiFi, or an unsecured wireless connection from a nearby condo. Some options may be bad but cheap, others good but expensive. Your choice might depend on whether your call is to your daughter (needs good quality) or to Jerry, to answer his questions about that expense report (needs bad quality).Eventually, the whole communication mess is supposed to be sorted out in our favor. People who work in technology say we???ll get a wireless phone that can work on any network in any country and has our office and private numbers, email, broadband internet access, G.P.S., I.M., and features like Helio???s Buddy Beacon. If friends have their Buddy Beacons on, their location will show up on your phone???s map and you???ll know when they???re clustered at the Pine Lounge.By 2015, Google might have built out its network and destroyed the cell companies??? way of doing business. This is what Google is good at. Look at how it upended online maps, email, and the internet-advertising industry. Once the juggernaut conquers communications, it will no doubt move on to disrupt some other industry that???s fundamental to Western society in the 21st century by giving away yet another commodity. Like free Google coffee.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Mountain View, CA, home to Google headquarters has Free Wifi (courtesy of Google).

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I remember the other day seeing a headline on a national paper (so either USA Today or Wall St. Journal) saying most cities were pulling back on their plans to offer free wi-fi, and some that already offered it were going to stop.

The timing made me wonder if this was connected in any way to RIAA piracy issues.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    We have it here in Toronto. Coverage ain't the greatest. Can't seem to find a strong signal anywhere.

Plus, the Fuckin' thing won't remember remember my password. I hate that every time I log in using my cell, I have to log in my user and pass again.

But then again, it is run thru Toronto Hydro *NO COMMENT*

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    We have it here in Toronto. Coverage ain't the greatest. Can't seem to find a strong signal anywhere.

Really? I've never picked up a free signal on any of my visits (usually staying in the Kensington Market area). Always had to go to a cafe.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Portland, OR has free metro wifi. It runs at 1 mbps.

• Most of you might be aware that all U.S television signals have to be converted to digital next year or the year after. The government (U.S. govt.) will be auctioning off the old UHF spectrum since it will no longer be needed

Woah, I did not know this. Does this mean that you will only be able to get tv through a cable provider? If so, that is some serious bullshit.

Really? I've never picked up a free signal on any of my visits (usually staying in the Kensington Market area). Always had to go to a cafe.

Well, it might not be free any more. I know for the first year it was. With Toronto Hydro planning to charge a low fee after that.

Also, you can't just log on. You have to txt in with ur cell phone and they give you a user/pass.

You can see the network downtown tho. It's under the name "One Zone_high Speed"

When I'm in the area again, I'll check to see if it's still free.

But from what I found, if it's not... I wouldn't pay for it. The service was damn slow and sketchy.

• Most of you might be aware that all U.S television signals have to be converted to digital next year or the year after. The government (U.S. govt.) will be auctioning off the old UHF spectrum since it will no longer be needed

Woah, I did not know this. Does this mean that you will only be able to get tv through a cable provider? If so, that is some serious bullshit.

No more antenna on top of the house/rabbit ears. You will need a digital tuner or some shit, right? If your current tv doesnt have that, buy an external one to hook up to your existing tv. I could be totally wrong about the details, but I know its something to that effect.

Here is a tip.

Get a TV (Or use something like THIS) with an ATSC turner in it.

You'll be able to pick up free HD content...

• Sometimes I use WEHO WIFI when my internet is down but I have to walk up the block to get it. It runs from Fairfax to La Brea on Santa Monica BLVD.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I remember the other day seeing a headline on a national paper (so either USA Today or Wall St. Journal) saying most cities were pulling back on their plans to offer free wi-fi, and some that already offered it were going to stop.

The timing made me wonder if this was connected in any way to RIAA piracy issues.

It's not--it's more connected to the fact that providers are having trouble coming up with a good business plan for municipal Wi-Fi. EarthLink was supposed to be doing muni Wi-Fi for a bunch of cities, including SF, but it cooled considerably after taking a closer look and seeing that the "free" model doesn't work for them. There are some pretty cool alternatives, such as what BT And Fon are doing in the U.K. (basically asking individual subscribers to host free Wi-Fi hubs), but carriers here are mostly looking for profit and aren't seeing much in muni Wi-Fi.

The spectrum auction is gonna be some shit. Companies are jockeying for leverage on that thing like you wouldn't believe.

Google is the early favorite to win this auction. What that means is Google can eventually have in place it's own countrywide wireless network where it can provide free ad-based wifi service. There is already talk of Google introducing their own phone next year, which is a very similar early buzz that the iPhone had two years before it dropped.

Interesting how things will play out...

I see Google bought this nice service.

http://www.grandcentral.com/

• I'm on my city's free wifi right now.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Most of you might be aware that all U.S television signals have to be converted to digital next year or the year after. The government (U.S. govt.) will be auctioning off the old UHF spectrum since it will no longer be needed

No more antenna on top of the house/rabbit ears. You will need a digital tuner or some shit, right? If your current tv doesnt have that, buy an external one to hook up to your existing tv. I could be totally wrong about the details, but I know its something to that effect.

This UHF spectrum demise is some serious business. I get seven channels on the UHF with the rabbit ears: PBS, NBC, CBS, ABC, Channel 25 (local religious), Channel 32 (No idea what this random channel is, but it sometimes shows SEC football and old mainstream movies), and Fox. I don't want to pay for cable, but I need some TV. Will the future hold for old-fashioned TV freeloaders like me?

Scurred,
    JRoot

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Most of you might be aware that all U.S television signals have to be converted to digital next year or the year after. The government (U.S. govt.) will be auctioning off the old UHF spectrum since it will no longer be needed

This UHF spectrum demise is some serious business. I get seven channels on the UHF with the rabbit ears: PBS, NBC, CBS, ABC, Channel 25 (local religious), Channel 32 (No idea what this random channel is, but it sometimes shows SEC football and old mainstream movies), and Fox. I don't want to pay for cable, but I need some TV. Will the future hold for old-fashioned TV freeloaders like me?

Scurred,
    JRoot

Wow . Yet another reason not to watch TV...

I'm like you , I like having the random 7 channels or so.

When will they start letting people buy like 8 channels of cable (just the shit you like?) .. probably never.. but i want to watch the EPL matches on saturday morning without paying for all that other shit!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    UofA has it...