The Wax Poetics Anthology Vol. 1

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
incrediblealot of us dont have the first few issues (such as myself...in fact i only have the Weldon Irvine issue)...but this book helps us out.great Frickin' bookgood for a coffee table toothank you guys haha

Comments

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    its too expensive.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    its too expensive.

You sound poor.

It's only 40 bucks isn't it?

You're not going to find many quality hard-cover books for under 40..

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

wax poetics?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have a spair issue of 1 & 3 got trades?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dusty groove will haver this for $38 when they do get it in!

It's about freakin' time!

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    its too expensive.

You sound poor.

It's only 40 bucks isn't it?

with shipping its going to be more like $50.
    and i dont give a fuck who you are -
    50 dollars is expensive for a book.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    its too expensive.

It's priced below what the combined issues initally would have cost at retail.

Shit adds up. It's like a Nordstrom Rack shopper that saves so much money on individual items that they end up spending much more than they would have otherwise.

So this volume comprises vols. 1-5, right? What, exactly, is extra or excised? If this is essentially a best-of, then forget it.

• i'm only missing 1 & 2 , could those be had for under 40 at this point?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So this volume comprises vols. 1-5, right? What, exactly, is extra or excised? If this is essentially a best-of, then forget it.

I don't think it's complete issues, but a "best of" the
    first five issues. It is in a large format, though, and
    I think people crying about the price don't buy too many
    books, because $40 for a high-quality coffee table book
    collecting material that is out of print and sells for
    upwards of $100 per issue on eBay seems reasonable to me.

Dudes will pay $10 for an individual issue of WaxPo but
    not $40 for a deluxe hardback edition of the best early material?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I don't think it's complete issues, but a "best of" the
    first five issues. It is in a large format, though, and
    I think people crying about the price don't buy too many
    books, because $40 for a high-quality coffee table book
    collecting material that is out of print and sells for
    upwards of $100 per issue on eBay seems reasonable to me.

Dudes will pay $10 for an individual issue of WaxPo but
    not $40 for a deluxe hardback edition of the best early material?

I'm just saying: They might as well grab all five issues in toto and ramp up the price by 15 dollars. I mean: Exactly how much is lost?

The arbitrary, short-sighted fanboy eBay prices are completely arbitrary bullshit. Fools and their money were once paying three figures for Music For Earthworms.

That's probably about as strongly as I can put it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You sound like a non-reader.

Yeah, that's basically what it is. The first five issues in hardback form.

I don't think it's remotely essential. I don't think it's being sold as that. I think the price is pretty fair. This isn't the new Harry Potter novel where they have 10,000,000 copies guaranteed to move. If you already have the issues, you don't need the anthology.

Why are people bitching about this again?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I think the price is pretty fair.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i have seen books with pictures of Manhattan go for 400 bucks. 50 dollars shipped from Turntable Lab was fine. i got it in one business day which was awesome. and its just cool to have for the collection.

fuck the hating.

dont buy this...and then watch it become sought after and youll be whining.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I have issues 1-6, who wants to give me a good price for the lot?

I can live w/o them, not exactly stuff I'm dying to re-read. I stopped buying after #6.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yeah, that's basically what it is. The first five issues in hardback form.

I don't think it's remotely essential. I don't think it's being sold as that. I think the price is pretty fair. This isn't the new Harry Potter novel where they have 10,000,000 copies guaranteed to move. If you already have the issues, you don't need the anthology.

Why are people bitching about this again?

I think that it's a very fair price, and I'm very willing to pay it as long as I know that it's not just a severely truncated release. From what I read, it's not all 5 issues in full.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have issues 1-6, who wants to give me a good price for the lot?

I can live w/o them, not exactly stuff I'm dying to re-read. I stopped buying after #6.

Throw them on eBay before the book drops.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    i'm only missing 1 & 2 , could those be had for under 40 at this point?

Before the anthology dropped, those issues were going for fifty bucks and up last time I checked. With the information being made available in a new format...a reissue if you will...the originals may drop in price. Or they may go up, as they have cachet "I was there" value that is greater than the information that they contain.

I have all issues.
    I have issues.

JRoot

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I dunno, when they did the same for Sneaker Freaker (similar to waxpo except for hype beasts) the market for original issues that once sold for $100 died completely.

Eitherway, if you're serious about flipping Waxpo 1-6 and don't want stupid money I'm keen. If you're a shoe nerd I can send the og Sneaker Freakers too!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I dunno, when they did the same for Sneaker Freaker (similar to waxpo except for hype beasts) the market for original issues that once sold for $100 died completely.

Eitherway, if you're serious about flipping Waxpo 1-6 and don't want stupid money I'm keen. If you're a shoe nerd I can send the og Sneaker Freakers too!
    uh, ones for sneaker nerds the other is for record nerds, i have most of the early issues of both so maybe i am a super nerd of sorts, but since i have been collecting both records and sneakers from the 80's i would hardly be called a hypebeast, as i stated i have a spair wp 1,3 and (5 or 8 i think), i would be up for trades instead of cash

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

do i sound like a non-reader or
    someone who may not have $50 to throw at coffee table book?

i was gonna make fun of you
    (like how horrible your writing is,
    or how shitty your compilations are,
    or how your blogs put people to sleep)
    but that would be too easy, so i wont.

the last book i bought was an issue of mcsweeneys
    which basically folded back & forth 4 differnt ways
    to make 4 different individual books.
    and that was only $25. and theyre a really small company.

and if it wasnt clear i put
    emoticon to make fun of myself.
    which clearly, a couple of you missed.
    of course im going to buy it,
    im just saying its more expensive
    than what i thought it would be.
    and i know im not the only one who thinks so.

my apologies!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

do i sound like a non-reader or
    someone who may not have $50 to throw at coffee table book?

the last book i bought was an issue of mcsweeneys
    which basically folded back & forth 4 differnt ways
    to make 4 different individual books.
    and that was only $25. and theyre a really small company.

and if it wasnt clear i put
    emoticon to make fun of myself.
    which clearly, a couple of you missed.
    of course im going to buy it,
    im just saying its more expensive
    than what i thought it would be.
    and i know im not the only one who thinks so.

my apologies!

Either contribute to the topic or cease your childish attacks. Ah, please.

You have just admited to putting money in Dave Eggers's pocket. That's not really a thing to brag about.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

uh, ones for sneaker nerds the other is for record nerds, i have most of the early issues of both so maybe i am a super nerd of sorts, but since i have been collecting both records and sneakers from the 80's i would hardly be called a hypebeast, as i stated i have a spair wp 1,3 and (5 or 8 i think), i would be up for trades instead of cash

Sorry man, I wasn't accusing anyone - mainly just a point of reference for all the non sneaker nerds. I'm still keen if you'll excuse me - what sort of trades are you after? I have opening night issues of all the sf's if that means anything to you, otherwise, what size do you wear?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I bought the anthology & the reason is that I have never read an issue of Wax Poetics before, I flick through them at the local store from time to time but for a mag it seems pretty expensive, so to get a nice hardcover book of the best articles from the first five issues is something I am happy to buy. I think it should be something for the completists or people who don't have issues 1-5 already.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You have just admited to putting money in Dave Eggers's pocket. That's not really a thing to brag about.

How come?

I'm not disagreeing--just curious.

Envy is an ugly emotion.
    As is a lack of sense of humor.

• You have just admited to putting money in Dave Eggers's pocket. That's not really a thing to brag about.

How come?

It is easy - and FUN! - to hatt on Dave Eggers, but really, it only makes the hatter look stupid.

"Hahaha, he's so pretentious...with his boutique publishing putting out new books and trying to tutor kids in major cities for free. What a Loser!!!"

I mean...that is a pretty silly statement, no?

And, as much as some of his writing is ukeface: I DO want to read his last book, which got great reviews.

How come?

I can't say I find Eggers to be the most charming literary figure out there but I don't have a problem with what McSweeney's does unless I'm not knowing about their kitten flogging industry or something.

BTW, most academic hardcover books sell for $40 and up. I'm assuming Wax Poetics is aiming more for a small niche market like that than a gen pop item. Again, $40 really isn't that much in relation to other parts of the book market.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

How come?

It is easy - and FUN! - to hatt on Dave Eggers, but really, it only makes the hatter look stupid.

"Hahaha, he's so pretentious...with his boutique publishing putting out new books and trying to tutor kids in major cities for free. What a Loser!!!"

I mean...that is a pretty silly statement, no?

And, as much as some of his writing is ukeface: I DO want to read his last book, which got great reviews.

Well, I started reading his most recent book (What is the What) last weekend and, 200 pages in, I think it's a pretty commendable effort. That's the only thing I've ever read by him though. And he gave some basketball bloggers that I like a forum on his website, so I am positively disposed towards him.

The fact that his first book was widely read by people who don't actually read but wish to appear as if they do did make me suspicious of him for a long time, though.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    you wanna see an expensive book:

remember the hardback edition of this was like $300? I was considering it too.

And if you wanna read some really shitty writing read my Timothy McNealy interview in the WP anthology.