Comedy Album Strut

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Plaese to tell me that y'all have at some point in your lives listened repeatedly to early Bill Cosby records...that have no music on them at all.Regarding Richard Pryor...when someone says something like "I knew ya mama when she was ho'in'"...it immediately rings a bell for you, right?Cheech and Chong...Dave's not home. Sound familiar?I'm sure some of y'all are up on this classic comedy album stuff as much as anyone. But on the other hand, some of y'all lil dudes apparently need to step ya games up.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Thanks to Steve Martin, whenever I hear someone uncleverly heckle a performer (i.e. 99% of all heckles) I think to myself "Yeah, I remember my first beer."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regarding Richard Pryor...when someone says something like "I knew ya mama when she was ho'in'"...it immediately rings a bell for you, right?

Yes

And That Nigger's Crazy is a MUSTHAVE.

I'd like to delve into some Robert Klein joints.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One of my theories to explain the awful, frat-mob-centered sense of humor displayed by some of the younger members of the Soulstrut community is that their initial orientations to comedy came from movies rather than from records.

• anyone got this one?? he is a gag monster ...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I don't remember which Rodney is which, but I remember there being some verrrry raw and inflamatory material on some of em.

e.g. "The only reason I get women is because of who I am...

a rapist!"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Although I can't stand him in the slightest nowadays...I can't front on how much George Carlin cracked us the hell up when we were pre-teens.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    any of the old Carlin records up to (and including) "a place for my stuff" are hysterical.

""Sir, we are boarding the plane, would you get on the plane, sir?"
    "Fuck you, I'm getting IN...""

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    this is a great one, I've seen it pop up on wax a few times....

One of my theories to explain the awful, frat-mob-centered sense of humor displayed by some of the younger members of the Soulstrut community is that their initial orientations to comedy came from movies rather than from records.

Very Insightful.

We used to sit around and listen to a whole comedy joint like it was a movie.

"And the titty winked..."

• And That Nigger's Crazy is a MUSTHAVE.

WHAT'S WRONG WIT' YO' NATURAL??

DIRT ALL ON THE BACK O'YA NECK.

so classic.

so classic.

SUCK SOME WHAT? U BETTER GO THE BLOOD BANK W/ THAT SHIT....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    anyone got this one?? he is a gag monster ...

Rodney's the shit. For a while, I thought being able to live life like it's a Rodney Dangerfield standup--just walking around zinging everything you see, including yourself--would be the pinnacle. I still think it'd be pretty fun.

What'chall know 'bout that Imus record?

• this is a great one, I've seen it pop up on wax a few times....

so very

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

What'chall know 'bout that Imus record?

He actually had more than one back in the day. I'd post a pic of This Honky's Nuts on Bang if I had the time...

Plaese to tell me that y'all have at some point in your lives listened repeatedly to early Bill Cosby records...that have no music on them at all.

Regarding Richard Pryor...when someone says something like "I knew ya mama when she was ho'in'"...it immediately rings a bell for you, right?

Cheech and Chong...Dave's not home. Sound familiar?

I'm sure some of y'all are up on this classic comedy album stuff as much as anyone.

Dude, you just don't know - I was a major fan of Dr. Demento's radio show when I was in middle school, and was soon listening to Cheech & Chong (still got the gigantic rolling paper that came with Big Bambu - and it was a second-pressing reissue on another label!) and Steve Martin like nobody's business. I'm not so much on the comedy/novelty tip these days, but every now and then I'll f**k with Rudy Ray Moore, Mantan Moreland (Laff Records seemed to get ALL the has-beens), Franklin Ajaye, Moms Mabley (her delivery is funnier than the actual jokes), Lawanda Page and of course Richard Pryor. I still listen to Dr. Demento's Delights every now and then, although not all of it has aged well.

Another good one on the chitlin'-circuit tip: Tommy Brown, whose albums are as common as Tapestry here in Chicago. The one I have has a pic of a toilet stool on the cover and is called No Shit, I Ain't Lyin'.

• And That Nigger's Crazy is a MUSTHAVE.

so classic.

SUCK SOME WHAT? U BETTER GO THE BLOOD BANK W/ THAT SHIT....

My dad kept that 8-track hidden in his closet, but I used to sneak it out and listen to it on headphones on my own 8-track (I AM OLD). And massive co-sign on the first two Steve Martin records; the copies I own were my older sister's. I used to listen to them with her when I was little and just crack UP. It's funny now when I listen back...so much of that was over my head.

• "Wild and Crazy Guy" was one of the first albums young GP ever owned.

Carlin's "Class Clown" was a fave out of Pops' collection.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    oh hell yes! I remember listening repeatedly to Cosby "i started out as a child" with the army medic story and the street football story "i don wanna be the coke bottle top". then endless Monty Python, eddie murphys 1st, robin williams 1st, pryor s/t on WB, (all pryor on WB), cheech n chong, Firesign Theatre "waiting for the electrician" and "dont crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers"... David Frye "i am the president" (friends parents records)... Had no access to or knowledge of the more raunchy stuff like rudy ray moore till i was 'grown up'.

Anybody here into Dick Gregory's more political stuff on Poppy (not the earlier albums)? No, really, keep reading - he's a lot more entertaining than boring-ass Paula Poundstone! The one I have (Dick Gregory's Frankenstein), from 1970, is surprisingly humorous (if not knock-down funny), considering the dated political references ("ever notice how David Eisenhower looks like that cat on the cover of Mad magazine?").

Other good ones:

- Eddie Harris' The Reason Why I'm Talking S--t (famed jazz musician does a comedy album!!)

- Redd Foxx'You Gotta Wash Your Ass (Foxx has a zillion-and-one LP's on the market, but this is the standout)

As a side note, when I was at Wax Trax in Vegas, Rich gave me (yes, GAVE me) a copy of a Redd's Live '85 album when I asked how much was it...evidently he knew somebody who bought Redd's house and he had several unsold copies of this album (on his own Ready Freddy label) in his basement...

• Regarding Richard Pryor...when someone says something like "I knew ya mama when she was ho'in'"...it immediately rings a bell for you, right?

Yes

I'd like to delve into some Robert Klein joints.

Klein's first LP 'Child of the 50's' has some funny shit on it, esp his 'Little Rascals' bit where he sings all of the instrumental cues while telling the story.

I remember listening repeatedly to Cosby "i started out as a child" with the army medic story and the street football story "i don wanna be the coke bottle top".

Fat Albert shit

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Anybody know anything about "Screwy TV" on Funko records? It's not very funny but pretty naste - basically every punchline is "Stick it up your c*nt!" or something to that effect. No year, doesn't list any performers either.

• I found that double Hevy Gunz Industries LP a few weeks ago. What an odd Frickin' record. If I still smoked I would probably find it funny, but not so much now. I used to listen to the Steve Martin records all the time.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    The one I have (Dick Gregory's Frankenstein), from 1970, is surprisingly humorous (if not knock-down funny)

I have this, the cover was a bit moldy when I got it, I should pull it out and give it a listen. Ive got a few Demento Lps as well and lots of Cosby except the Drugs LP....I'd still like to have that. I know Mr. Rodgers isn't comedy but its funny to me now.

Anyways, I wonder how many of you have ever heard this record:

I have been holding this hostage for years. I think its on some Childrens Garden of Grass type shit seriously, it is under the radar. You cant really tell from the Title, 'The Handwriting on the Wall' ( the Sounds of Graffiti) but the subject matter is Graffiti....in 1968

It includes subjects like

Graffiti and Sex. Graffiti and Drugs, Graffiti and Religion, Graffiti and War etc... etc...

It got tons of one liners and (future stones throw) samples??? Hahaaaa

But seriously I have one line on my voice mail that goes.

"We are not afraid of Fall out, it will never get through the Smog!"

If folks are into Samples, Graff and political comedy I highly suggest seeking it out. There, probably one of the only times I will share something hardly anyone knows about. Thank goodness not too many people will see it with all the other great threads today.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

My homie's got that one--he first played it for me a couple years ago, and all I could think was, "Man, Artifacts would've gone apeshit if they had gotten their hands on this thing." Graf-related samples for days.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Wild and Crazy Guy" was one of the first albums young SOI ever owned.

... and I can still recite along with the entire thing

"we're gonna get to the MEAT of the act soon,
    just kind of COASTING here ... heh ... um
    WHATTA YA WANT FOR $4, YOU WANT A REAL SHOW?"

Dick Gregory's Live At Kent State is mutha.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Plaese to not be fronting. In about '83, I had a tape with this on one side, and Richard Pryor In Concert on the other, and I almost wore it out. Back then, Eddie Murphy was damn near the funniest mufu*ka I'd heard in my life.

Plaese to not be fronting.

For some reason, I thought Eddie's self-titled first album (with "Boogie In Your Butt" and "twenty-five cent? what a bargain! that is a bargain for me!") is probably his best, since he wasn't as bitter. Didn't like Eddie Murphy: Comedian as much...the video (Eddie Murphy: Delirous) was funnier.