Comedy Album Strut

2»

Comments

• lenny bruce - what i was arrested for

(and i used to listen to that eddie murphy "comedian" cassette all the time!)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a7/70/d916_1.JPG>

listened to this for the first time about 6 months ago. some parts kill me. i was surprised, for some reason i just assume anything before, like, 1995 wont be funny to me.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

Plaese to not be fronting.

For some reason, I thought Eddie's self-titled first album (with "Boogie In Your Butt" and "twenty-five cent? what a bargain! that is a bargain for me!") is probably his best, since he wasn't as bitter. Didn't like Eddie Murphy: Comedian as much...the video (Eddie Murphy: Delirous) was funnier.

Is this the one with Aunt Bunnyyyy?? I had that on tape and loved it so much as a kid. Totally forgot about it because I've been only on a diet of delirious and beverly hills cop movies thanks to TV. I need to hear this again!

This is the last comedy album I copped for a dollar because of how awesome the back of his t shirt on the other side was. This thread reminds me to give it a try- Still haven't yet. I love George Carlin, but long ago I got Take offs and Put ons, and kinda felt it was too old, it felt like my mind was just too perverse to laugh, but that one looks more up my alley with his modern side. I love Moms Mabely though, like was said about her delivery b4 I think thats what translates the humor so thoroughly, regardless of a time bound topic.

The Exorcist part where he's like HELLO! GOODBYE!
    and WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SMELL GET THAT CROSS OUT YOUR P*SSY!

Hilarious! and Flying Saucers!

I played this one though for a friend who loved Richard Pryor thinking she'd like...

She was like
    and I felt
    She kept saying, "no I don't like HIM!" with all this disgrace in the objective personal pronoun.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I love George Carlin, but long ago I got Take offs and Put ons, and kinda felt it was too old, it felt like my mind was just too perverse to laugh, but (Toledo Window Box) looks more up my alley with his modern side.

You probably know this, but Take-Offs was early (1967) in his career, when he was still just another opening-act comic in Vegas - he hadn't freaked out and started doing drug humor yet. Which version did you get, the one with short-haired Carlin mugging in a photo booth, or the later reissue with the drawing of long-haired Carlin, meant to fool his 70's fans?

I played this one though for a friend who loved Richard Pryor thinking she'd like...

She was like
    and I felt
    She kept saying, "no I don't like HIM!" with all this disgrace in the objective personal pronoun.

Personally, I don't see what Pryor and Rogers have in common, apart from being black comedians who recorded for Partee. Rogers was an older comedian from back in Redd Foxx's day, and he also made records in a jump-blues Scatman Crothers style. More vaudeville, not quite as funky as Pryor.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What's really funny is when people talk about
    the Timmie Rogers "Super Soul Brother" 45 on
    Chess as being "killer funk" ...

naw, dude - it's a novelty record.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

- Eddie Harris' The Reason Why I'm Talking S--t (famed jazz musician does a comedy album!!)

Yes! That album rules!

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Yeah I got fooled by the trick cover!!! I didn't understand, cause I only saw him unfunny with short hair! Totally fooled.

Oh, not that the two of them were alike performers, I had figured if she had the stomach for Pryor and enjoyed him, the Timmie Rogers album seemed to me (not nearly as funny) but less abrasive, not as graphic or profane, I was totally shocked to hear she found the humor tasteless when my inclination was that it would be perceived as having more taste perhaps only because it was 'cleaner' comedy. And she said she liked Sanford & Son! You know, I didn't want to put on shit damn piss cunt motherfucker suck my dick woooo! just yet.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I haven't listened to that album in a loong time but at the time I remember telling her I thought Chris Rock sounded a hell of a lot like Timmie Rogers. I think that was with the delivery or something. It's been too long since I heard it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yeah I got fooled by the trick cover!!! I didn't understand, cause I only saw him unfunny with short hair! Totally fooled.

That wasn't no trick, that was the way George Carlin looked in 1967.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I gotta get a pair of cat handcuffs, and I gotta get 'em fast.

• out of the fog, and into the smog