Wu-Tang Clears 1st Legal Beatles Sample.

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
?? The Wu-Tang Corp.- 2007-10-02The legendary Hip-Hop group, Wu-Tang Clan, has recently cleared the first ever Beatles sample for their upcoming Album, 8 Diagrams.The group was originally scheduled for a November 13th release but due to the magnitude of the sample and the History being made, 8 Diagrams will now impact on December 4th.Special Thanks to Danny Harrison & Erykah Badu for helping bring this song to life!! Also Thanks to The Harrison Estate & The Beatles for helping make this possible!!Also Here:http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46082-wu-tang-clear-first-legal-beatles-sampleWhat do you think? Irrelevant News or History in the making??

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• well it also features george harrison's son on the track.. so i don't think this should count. i'll give mf doom props though... for using an uncleared beatles sample on the operation doomsday album which has gone to sell a shitload of copies without him getting sued.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Whaaaaaa??

Don't you think there are millions of producers celebrating the possibility of Clearing Beatles Breaks Right now?!?

Yeah Right Man! Corks are Flying!!!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I've been noticing a few Beatles tunes popping up in TV commercials recently out of nowhere so somebody's starting to cash 'em in.

"Hello Good Buy" from Target? Eccchh.

• i'll give mf doom props though... for using an uncleared beatles sample on the operation doomsday album which has gone to sell a shitload of copies without him getting sued.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    well it also features george harrison's son on the track.. so i don't think this should count. i'll give mf doom props though... for using an uncleared beatles sample on the operation doomsday album which has gone to sell a shitload of copies without him getting sued.

SHUSH!
    but which mf track are you talking about?

• michael jackson/ publishing.....he is the owner i believe, just how much tho ?
    was puffy the 1s t to clear led zep ?

it is cool that they got a green light, as long as sampling been in effect, a dollar short and a day late....maybe majors will jump on the bandwagon and start handing out masters.
    no problemo...ill help you wit ya demo....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    michael jackson/ publishing.....he is the owner i believe, just how much tho ?
    was puffy the 1s t to clear led zep ?

it is cool that they got a green light, as long as sampling been in effect, a dollar short and a day late....maybe majors will jump on the bandwagon and start handing out masters.
    no problemo...ill help you wit ya demo....

I thought MJ had to sell off the Beatles catalog to pay for his legal fees? And in any case, I think he owns part of the publishing but not all of it, outright?

• the operation doomsday album which has gone to sell a shitload of copies
    LOL Please.

• "strawberries and cream" didn't get cleared?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Frusciante in the Clapton role eh? I'm intrigued.

- spidey

LOL Please.

sayin'.

I have zero interest in teh new wu-tang album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ?? The Wu-Tang Corp.- 2007-10-02

The legendary Hip-Hop group, Wu-Tang Clan, has recently cleared the first ever Beatles sample for their upcoming Album, 8 Diagrams.

The group was originally scheduled for a November 13th release but due to the magnitude of the sample and the History being made, 8 Diagrams will now impact on December 4th.

Special Thanks to Danny Harrison & Erykah Badu for helping bring this song to life!! Also Thanks to The Harrison Estate & The Beatles for helping make this possible!!

Also Here:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46082-wu-tang-clear-first-legal-beatles-sample

What do you think? Irrelevant News or History in the making??

I vote "History In The Making". I think it's a massively significant move. Neil Aspinall had been the Beatles' head of business affairs for decades until his sudden departure in April. Apparently, a few people had become a little pissed-off with his tendency to say "no" to everything. So they get this guy Jeff Jones, former head of Sony Legacy, and bring him in with the brief that he's there to work the catalogue. Looks like that's what he's doing here, doesn't it?

Obviously, the involvement of George Harrison's boy is a key factor, as is the fact that, historically, Harrison kept his publishing separate from that of Lennon & McCartney. Ironically, Harrison was always a fairly vocal opponent of the idea of Beatles music being used in contexts other than the original one. Nevertheless, a line has now been crossed, and I'm sure other things will follow. I don't think this means that absolutely anyone will now be able to clear a Beatles sample, but more people are going to think it's worth a try, and the bigger the name, the better chance of getting it cleared. I'd imagine that if someone like, say, Jay-Z had a beat with a Beatles sample that he wanted to put on a forthcoming album, he'd have a good chance of getting approval.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

I vote "History In The Making". I think it's a massively significant move. Neil Aspinall had been the Beatles' head of business affairs for decades until his sudden departure in April. Apparently, a few people had become a little pissed-off with his tendency to say "no" to everything. So they get this guy Jeff Jones, former head of Sony Legacy, and bring him in with the brief that he's there to work the catalogue. Looks like that's what he's doing here, doesn't it?

Obviously, the involvement of George Harrison's boy is a key factor, as is the fact that, historically, Harrison kept his publishing separate from that of Lennon & McCartney. Ironically, Harrison was always a fairly vocal opponent of the idea of Beatles music being used in contexts other than the original one. Nevertheless, a line has now been crossed, and I'm sure other things will follow. I don't think this means that absolutely anyone will now be able to clear a Beatles sample, but more people are going to think it's worth a try, and the bigger the name, the better chance of getting it cleared. I'd imagine that if someone like, say, Jay-Z had a beat with a Beatles sample that he wanted to put on a forthcoming album, he'd have a good chance of getting approval.

Nice post and pretty much spot on in my view.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Nice post and pretty much spot on in my view.

Yes I agree as well. Probably not going to open the floodgates for everything but it's possible that this changes the game a little bit. Hip-hop has moved AWAY from sampling in the past few years, and sampling has started to make a comeback in the case of Kanye West as an example, who is a HUGE artist so this might also shift the artistic tide of hip-hop music a little bit. The Roots sampled "Hey Bulldog" for the album "Phrenology" but they had to drop that because of clearance. I think that song with the original sample could have been a big song.

Also I didn't know that about George Harrison. I know people used his "I Dig Love" off the "All Things Must Pass" album (Kano, Nikka Costa.)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I am throuoghly non-plussed by this news.

In other words, so now elite producers with major label budgets will be able to legally sample the Beatles.

Big whup.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I am throuoghly non-plussed by this news.

In other words, so now elite producers with major label budgets will be able to legally sample the Beatles.

Big whup.
    word misuse alert

• I am throuoghly non-plussed by this news.

Big whup.
    word misuse alert

Agreed: i think ambivalent would be more apt in the first line, as opposed to the more aggressive non-plussed.

Not irrelevant but really, what impact will this have? This might have been news...10 years ago. But at this point, "Beatles allow sampling!" sounds less interesting than them lending music to Cirque Du Soleil or whoever. It's not like baby boomers are suddenly going to rush out to listen to the new Wu nor are Wu fans any more likely to go out hunting for Beatles albums. Most importantly, fools have been sampling Beatles records for years, legally or not.

LOL Please.

i don't get what's funny... Operation Doomsday may not have gone platinum, but it has sold enough copies to have been repressed a few times and contains a blatant Beatles sample that everyone knows about & even wikipedia lists in the liner notes of that album. the beatles had a shitfit over Dangermouse's Grey Album which wasn't even ever properly pressed or distributed in large numbers (and i believe there were tops 1000 pressed of that album). how is this not a good example of getting away with an uncleared beatles sample and worthy of mention?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If only TROY would have sampled "Got to Get Into My Life" instead of "Today"...it would've been the jam.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Not irrelevant but really, what impact will this have? This might have been news...10 years ago. But at this point, "Beatles allow sampling!" sounds less interesting than them lending music to Cirque Du Soleil or whoever. It's not like baby boomers are suddenly going to rush out to listen to the new Wu nor are Wu fans any more likely to go out hunting for Beatles albums. Most importantly, fools have been sampling Beatles records for years, legally or not.

Didn't hip-hop move away from sampling in part because of the expense of clearing samples? I can't imagine Beatles samples coming in cheap.

the operation doomsday album which has gone to sell a shitload of copies
    LOL Please.

i don't get what's funny... Operation Doomsday may not have gone platinum, but it has sold enough copies to have been repressed a few times and contains a blatant Beatles sample that everyone knows about & even wikipedia lists in the liner notes of that album. the beatles had a shitfit over Dangermouse's Grey Album which wasn't even ever properly pressed or distributed in large numbers (and i believe there were tops 1000 pressed of that album). how is this not a good example of getting away with an uncleared beatles sample and worthy of mention?

The Grey Album didn't move a lot of units but it was written up in a shitload of mainstream press outlets unlike Doom's CD. Doom's CD probably could sold 100,000 copies but stayed, more or less, off the radar. "The Grey Album" for better or for worse, became a hot pop culture topic for 15 minutes. That's 14.9 minutes longer than any MF Doom project.

• What do you think? Irrelevant News or History in the making??

Didn't hip-hop move away from sampling in part because of the expense of clearing samples? I can't imagine Beatles samples coming in cheap.

I don't think so. Sampling died on its own. If people wanted to do it they would have done it anyways.

• 8 Diagrams will now impact [/b] on December 4th.

lol.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    8 Diagrams will now impact [/b] on December 4th.

lol.

I'm saying--how could it have an "impact" if Cappadonna's not getting down?!

• 8 Diagrams will now impact [/b] on December 4th.

lol.

I'm saying--how could it have an "impact" if Cappadonna's not getting down?!

my sentiments exactly.

• Can we expect a reissue of Fat Boys "Baby You're A Rich Man"?

• Dunderheaded coconuts!

WU-TANG!