Wu-Tang Clears 1st Legal Beatles Sample.

Comments

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I know of someone in a boutique caled Paul who sampled too from those UK dudes.

But whatever...

By the way, what is realy interesting is that the main topic of the tune is about heroin.

But whatever, Paul, Ringo, George and John smoked a lot, so what kinda problem they should have with a topic like that.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I can't imagine Beatles samples coming in cheap.

Yeah, Thats what Wu-Tang said.

I Mean, I'm not really checking for new Wu either, but apparently its big news for them, enough to push back the release by almost a month??

It took this long so I guess the Wu ( as long as they have been around ) is pretty much first runner up? Or they just have had it on lock for awhile, I guess I could see the Roots going that way, especially with the Badu connection.

Who else would have been in the running??

P.S.

I don't think The Magnitude of my Sarcasm is making an impact on the history being made.

P.S.S.

Thank You Doc for the

All in all I think its a pretty interesting move.

• Odd-toed ungulate!

WUUUUUUUUUU TANG!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Does this mean Carter III will include "Help"?

• i'm diggin it, but then again I'm biased as hell when it comes to Wu

http://www.zshare.net/audio/400064451df325/

that Ghost track from a couple years ago is hard to beat though

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The first Beatles song used on a tv ad was Revolution for some Nikes a long time ago.

The difference between sampling a Harrison and a Lennon/McCartney song is huge. Harrison is dead, and it sounds a little like his son mixing things up. Ono and Paul are still sitting on the L/Mc catalog as tightly as they can given the fact that they have lost publishing ownership.

Tip for samplers. All You Need Is Love is owned by UNICEF I believe. You could make history.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    they did save some $ by sampling a cover version, actually. sampling the real deal would incur both the publishing royalty/fee plus mechanical licensing. im sure jimmy ponder's mechanical licensing is a good deal cheaper than the beatles'.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    they did save some $ by sampling a cover version, actually. sampling the real deal would incur both the publishing royalty/fee plus mechanical licensing. im sure jimmy ponder's mechanical licensing is a good deal cheaper than the beatles'.

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >
    Sampled a Harrison song >
    Sampled a Jimmy Ponder cover a Beatles song

This is not historic, it is hype.

An old over the hill band samples a cover of a song by a member (not known for his song writing) of an other old over the hill band.

Give me a not impressed icon.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

An old over the hill band samples a cover of a song by a member (not known for his song writing) of an other old over the hill band.

Did you listen to the track? I have not been impressed for a minute now.

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Did you listen to the track? I have not been impressed for a minute now.

I've heard the Jimmy Ponder track, liked it. Haven't heard the Wu Tang track, but I am in no position to grade hip hop tracks. Some I like, some I don't, has nothing to do with what people who really listen to hip hop like.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    As you said, the most expensive part would have been to use the original recording. In this case, there's no "master use" as we call it, so no biggie...

PS : Lonely people, Kweli, Beatminerz (for OGC's first 12"), Sisquo, Monty Alexander, Hi-tek, etc...the Beatles are around since a while...but shhhhhhhh...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

It's totally historic.....if anybody thinks this move doesn't have an effect outside of just The Beatles, they simply aren't thinking outside the box.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Wanna hear that tune everybody is talking about ??????

http://www.spinemagazine.com/music/september/wutangclan/whilemyguitargentlyweeps.mp3

They got it from loud.com

I'm sorry, I dont want to hate, but this feels a little bit like

MEETS

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont like it that much.

Please, give me another instrumental under those raps !!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

but I dont like it that much.

it acctually would be ok if it didn't have all that guitar wankery all over it...

• i'm diggin it, but then again I'm biased as hell when it comes to Wu

http://www.zshare.net/audio/400064451df325/

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    This clears things up a little...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/...ad-the-song-now

"Remember the big to-do the Wu-Tang Clan made yesterday about how they'd secured the first Beatles sample in history? Turns out, they didn't.

This evening, they posted the following message on their MySpace page, under the headline "**We didn't Sample the Beatles, it was a replay, pardon**":

"The statement that we made yesterday was incorrect and we apologize for any confusion it may have caused. We DID NOT sample the Beatles, I repeat, we DID NOT sample the Beatles, rather we did an INTERPOLATION of the classic George Harrison composition 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps.' In a historic collaboration, Dhani Harrison, son of George, through his friendship with the RZA, played guitar on the song and he himself helped secure the REUSE LICENSE. Also appearing on the song are John Frusciante, guitar player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Erykah Badu singing the chorus.

'To satisfy everyone's curiosity, the song will be streamed exclusively on loud.com tonight. It will be the first single and video from the forthcoming album '8 Diagrams' in stores December 4.

'Thanks again to Dhani Harrison and the Harrison Estate for helping us make history."

And it's true-- the song is available on loud.com right now-- as an mp3! Check out the link below. Not quite as historic, but still pretty cool. Try to ignore the creepy loud.com whispers though."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

It's totally historic.....if anybody thinks this move doesn't have an effect outside of just The Beatles, they simply aren't thinking outside the box.

Thank you.

Everyone knows about the unofficial, uncleared, down-low shit. But listen - this is the first time anyone involved with the Beatles has ever legally sanctioned a sample use. It's a Big Deal, trust me. How could it not be?

Dan said something about it being significant that it's not a Lennon/McCartney song, and he's right. When somebody gets the green light for one of those, then it's on. But that depends on the relationship between Paul and Yoko, and that ain't great.

I have a story about this. A friend of mine runs a producer/engineer management agency here in the UK, and he's tight with a few of the guys at Abbey Road. One of these guys told my friend that, when McCartney was set to do his "controversial" remix of "Let It Be", he wanted to use Abbey Road's Studio 2, which was where the Beatles did most of their shit. This was around the time McCartney was trying to get the writer credits switched up to read "McCartney/Lennon", which Yoko was dead against. So she got wind of the schedule for the remixing/remastering sessions and, purely to fuck McCartney's shit up, she block-booked Studio 2 for something like three months solid, and flat out refused to cancel. This meant that McCartney had to either use one of the "inferior" studios, or push back the whole project. He chose the latter, which set him back almost two years from idea to release. According to my friend's friend, he was absolutely Frickin' livid about it. I've no idea if their relationship is any more cordial now - presumably there must have been a collective decision to unseat Neil Aspinall - but if anyone wanted to get clearance on a Lennon/McCartney song, they'd better pray that Paul and Yoko are speaking to one another...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Thank you.

Everyone knows about the unofficial, uncleared, down-low shit. But listen - this is the first time anyone involved with the Beatles has ever legally sanctioned a sample use. It's a Big Deal, trust me. How could it not be?

But why? I mean going beyond claims that we should trust you and that it couldn't possibly not be?

I guess it's a big deal to observers of the Beatles and their estates. But why should it be a big deal to fans of sample-based music?

• Feelin' this. Thanks for the link to the full track. I'm lookin forward to the new record. Heard RZA is doing a lot of live instrumentation on it.

Heard RZA is doing a lot of live instrumentation on it.

Full digital owquestwa! Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo!

This clears things up a little...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/...ad-the-song-now

"Remember the big to-do the Wu-Tang Clan made yesterday about how they'd secured the first Beatles sample in history? Turns out, they didn't.

This evening, they posted the following message on their MySpace page, under the headline "**We didn't Sample the Beatles, it was a replay, pardon**":

"The statement that we made yesterday was incorrect and we apologize for any confusion it may have caused. We DID NOT sample the Beatles, I repeat, we DID NOT sample the Beatles, rather we did an INTERPOLATION of the classic George Harrison composition 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps.' In a historic collaboration, Dhani Harrison, son of George, through his friendship with the RZA, played guitar on the song and he himself helped secure the REUSE LICENSE. Also appearing on the song are John Frusciante, guitar player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Erykah Badu singing the chorus.

'To satisfy everyone's curiosity, the song will be streamed exclusively on loud.com tonight. It will be the first single and video from the forthcoming album '8 Diagrams' in stores December 4.

'Thanks again to Dhani Harrison and the Harrison Estate for helping us make history."

And it's true-- the song is available on loud.com right now-- as an mp3! Check out the link below. Not quite as historic, but still pretty cool. Try to ignore the creepy loud.com whispers though."

Thing is, though, when they tried to use the Jimmy Ponder version on the Ghost joint, I'm betting that the master owners refused to clear their end without a publishing approval in place. The publishing end is the bigger deal on any sample clearance, because that relates to the song, no matter who records it - you can't even do a replay if you can't clear the publishing. Wu-Tang have probably caught some shit from the Beatles office for claiming that it's a sample, when, in the strictest sense, it isn't, but nevertheless, I'm still calling "historic" on this one.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

but I dont like it that much.

it acctually would be ok if it didn't have all that guitar wankery all over it...

It's on the OG

They didn't do anything to the "beat" besides have someone sing over it.

Didn't Ghost already rap over this a while back?

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Thank you.

But why? I mean going beyond claims that we should trust you and that it couldn't possibly not be?

I guess it's a big deal to observers of the Beatles and their estates. But why should it be a big deal to fans of sample-based music?

Well, because it opens up the very real possibility that people will now be able to take a run at one of the most jealously-guarded catalogues in post-war popular music, do something genuinely creative with it, and be able to put it out there without getting sued into the Stone Age. Like it or not, it's the kind of thing a lot of people are going to make a fuss about one way or another.

Obviously, there's also the very real possibility that someone will get sanctioned to do an Us3 with that shit, which is a different matter entirely.

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Thank you.

Well, because it opens up the very real possibility that people will now be able to take a run at one of the most jealously-guarded catalogues in post-war popular music, do something genuinely creative with it, and be able to put it out there without getting sued into the Stone Age. Like it or not, it's the kind of thing a lot of people are going to make a fuss about one way or another.

Obviously, there's also the very real possibility that someone will get sanctioned to do an Us3 with that shit, which is a different matter entirely.

Guess I'm just not seeing how it changes the game; there were already millions of artists whose catalogs were available for sampling--that number has now increased by one.

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Thank you.

Guess I'm just not seeing how it changes the game; there were already millions of artists whose catalogs were available for sampling--that number has now increased by one.

I understand what you're saying completely and, thinking about it now, I may be overstating the significance of it a little bit. Perhaps it's a bigger deal to me because it may impact (!) on what I do on the daily, but I see it as being a little like some long-hidden private art collection being publicly exhibited for the first time. Suddenly, people have access (albeit limited access) to something they thought they'd never get near.

We've gone from
    Sampled a Beatles song >

Thank you.

I understand what you're saying completely and, thinking about it now, I may be overstating the significance of it a little bit. Perhaps it's a bigger deal to me because it may impact (!) on what I do on the daily, but I see it as being a little like some long-hidden private art collection being publicly exhibited for the first time. Suddenly, people have access (albeit limited access) to something they thought they'd never get near.

Well, my view of sampling is that it shouldn't be reliant upon the quality of the material being sampled. Subjectively, I think the Beatles are great; objectively, they're among the 20th century's true giants... but when viewed as sample fodder, they really are just one more artist. Unless we're talking about people doing conceptual strictly-Beatles sampling projects which, to be honest, I think is corny and really don't want to see.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    conceptual strictly-Beatles sampling projects

Us4?

conceptual strictly-Beatles sampling projects

Us4?

The very thought of that scares the bejezus out of me.