What's wrong with sample-spotting again?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I forgot, so plaese to refresh my memory...

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its all about the triton and synth spotting

• 1. Overt interest in pre-1980 black music indicates a complete disdain - if not utter fear - of all forms of contemporary black music.
    2. Some samples do not have New Orleans origins.
    3. Soulja Boy "Crank Dat" > Gang Starr THE OWNERZ.
    4. Sample spotting is a dead giveaway of unwillingness to accept the south's complete dominance over rap in the 2000's b/w NY rap is dead b/w you sound like you've never been in a southern rap club.
    5. Havoc seemed kinda gay in that video.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

3. ____________ > Gang Starr THE OWNERZ.

That's not saying much.

• 1. Overt interest in pre-1980 black music indicates a complete disdain - if not utter fear - of all forms of contemporary black music.
    3. Soulja Boy "Crank Dat" > Gang Starr THE OWNERZ.
    4. Sample spotting is a dead giveaway of unwillingness to accept the south's complete dominance over rap in the 2000's b/w NY rap is dead b/w you sound like you've never been in a southern rap club.

regionalol

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    kinda? thats like saying the war is kinda bad, or adriana lima is kinda good looking.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Oh yeah, I remember. It's wrong so whenever someone is caught admitting that they bought a record just because it has a certain sample on it, we can then indignantly say:

a. I am better than you for I bought that record because it's awesome in its entirety.
    b. I am better than you for I wasn't suckered into buying that album since beyond the said sample it's tepid.
    c. I am better than you because I already owned that record before it was sampled and I just sold it to some newbie like you for 17 times what I originally paid for it.
    d. I am better than you since I don't even like rap music and therefore samples are completely off my radar.
    e. I am better then you because the internet says that I'm better than you...now deal.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I know this is a comedy thread, but I will say this -
    I don't buy records because they have samples on them,
    but I still like when I buy a record, play it, and find
    out it has a sample on it. Happened to me just last week
    when I finally got Sly's "A Whole New Thing" LP (which I
    really should have owned years ago) and heard "Trip To
    Your Heart" ... when that sample came on, I was like "HOLY SHIT!"

• Happened to me just last week

I had no idea that was his first record. 1967!!! Mad early. Must be at least semi- or it could be that 'reigonal thing'..

I have only ever seen 3 copies of this, 1 having a different cover. such a dope record too, probably my favorite Sly Stone piece..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Happened to me just last week

I had no idea that was his first record. 1967!!! Mad early. Must be at least semi- or it could be that 'reigonal thing'..

I have only ever seen 3 copies of this, 1 having a different cover. such a dope record too, probably my favorite Sly Stone piece..

Very hard to find the first cover in mint condition, but it was a bit of hit and had major label distribution so it is far from raer. Mostly turns up in rock collections from that era.

• Happened to me just last week

Very hard to find the first cover in mint condition, but it was a bit of hit and had major label distribution so it is far from raer. Mostly turns up in rock collections from that era.

must be that regional thing then. I never see it anywhere. Which one is first, the black one with his face or that white one? I got the black one, and the cover is kinda murked, record's okay though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I dare you to try and name one sample that does not have New Orleans origins.

Have you even heard Mardi Gras?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Spotting samples is what got you into collecting records...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    a. I am better than you for I bought that record because it's awesome in its entirety.
    b. I am better than you for I wasn't suckered into buying that album since beyond the said sample it's tepid.
    c. I am better than you because I already owned that record before it was sampled and I just sold it to some newbie like you for 17 times what I originally paid for it.
    d. I am better than you since I don't even like rap music and therefore samples are completely off my radar.
    e. I am better then you because the internet says that I'm better than you...now deal.

Exactly.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I have bought records before simpyl because they have been sampled.

So what?

These days I'm really not that into buying records for just one tiny bit of sound that is familiar in rap music though, but if it has good music, and I like it, i buy it.

one tiny bit of sound that is familiar in rap music

Exactly.

Exactly.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Exactly.

Yeah but really, it's all a grey area.

I mean, would a newbie really buy a Sly and the family Stone LP solely because it has that "aww yeah" vocal grab from Public Enemy's 'party for your right to fight' on it? I mean, would they hate the rest of the record and then say to themselves, because this record has that one vocal sample, I have been persuaded to now buy this record.

Do you know what I'm saying? Finding a sample is usually gravy I reckon. Who would really just buy a record to hear one bit of music that has been sampled? You might like other stuff on it, or you might wanna use the break in production or DJ-related activities, or you might collect that artist or genre or label or whatever.

I'm just saying this is all a theoretical perspective - in real terms, I don't think people really only buy records because of a sample.

Do not hatt on my lowly $18 dollars. It is obscure_addict's world, I'm mearly trying to live in it.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Funny shit.
    The king hater, cashes in on the sample craze.
    I'll bet you were listening to one of your Dilla beat Cd's when
    you realized he sampled Dionne right?
    For shame crink!
    Stealing the knowledge of the internets for your own financial gain.

Do not hatt on my lowly $18 dollars. It is obscure_addict's world, I'm mearly trying to live in it.

Not everyone can spend $104,000 per year on records while
    working in a position with an average median salary of under
    $60,000 per year ... it takes hard work and a lot of lying.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Which one is first, the black one with his face or that white one? I got the black one, and the cover is kinda murked, record's okay though.

The one you got is the OG. I have the 1970 one

That record is fucking incredible tho. Definitely one of my favorites of his.

The king hater

Je*f, you hate kings?

what did royalty ever do to you?

are you a descendant of Anne Boleyn or something?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

The king hater

Je*f, you hate kings?

"You have selected regicide. If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press 1."

How much will it cost to make this moment of embarassment go away? I will glady dip into my monthly record budget of "$2,000 and up". It might mean missing out on "many many many many rare acetate only releases", but so be it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    How much will it cost to make this moment of embarassment go away? I will glady dip into my monthly record budget of "$2,000 and up". It might mean missing out on "many many many many rare acetate only releases", but so be it.

obscure_addict is the new Pap. Yeah, that just happened.

Damn, I was thinking it was $2,000 a week.

Shit, that cat ain't no BALLER

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    All the answers can be found in the depths of ill bills forums.
    Or was it necro? Who cares...but one answer is: ASSHURT

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I don't think people really only buy records because of a sample.

I agree partly, but just ask yourself where James Brown would had been without the end 80s sample crazyness ???

I dont want to take anything away from him, just asking the question.

And James Brown is the role model for a lot of careers that where re-vitalised through sampling.

Ask David Axelrod, George Clinton, Bob James and so on.

Even HipHop artists now can live just of being sampled. Milk D is bragging & boasting about it since "I Get Money".

Those artists are not only living through the fresh publishing and royaltie money, they get new work too.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    O'RLY?

• one tiny bit of sound that is familiar in rap music

Yeah chump, but you only got $9.99 for the kaleidoscope!! where one terd sold higher another better lp sold lower. My last vg+ stereo copy went over $50 to some fiend in Spain.