Record Day Proposal

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
how abouts every Friday? Then we all can have some new shit to listen to over the weekend?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I propose Record Day go back to being more about
    posting ABOUT records, dropping secret squirrels,
    tipping off locs, artist appreciations, etc ...
    Record Day done gone the way of Christmas ... now
    instead of a day where knowledge is dropped, it's
    just a mass MP3 feeding frenzy ... before I get a
    "U MAD DOGGIE" thrown at me, I'm down with sharing
    MP3's too, but does anyone remember what I'm talking
    about? The first "Record Day" was really pretty special.
    The last one was more of a download blitz.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Except, why can't that be the daily M.O.? The idea of a "record day" seems like a bit of a copout on a music board * dodges flying bottles*.

• I propose Record Day go back to being more about

Don't want to burst your bubble but the way I remember it, the first record day contained the "Upload an Album" thread that went 13 pages or more, which led to the creation of real headz, the Lovelites fiasco, multi-paged debates about mp3s, etc.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The idea of a "record day" seems like a bit of a copout on a music board * dodges flying bottles*.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, the only thing that will inspire more record talk is more record talk. The problem is that you've got a ton of people on here who don't really care that much about records, and then elsewhere you've also got dudes who are walking encyclopedias who would rather post about Rickey Henderson because they've grown bored with discussing the same records over and over and over. It's problem wrapped up in a dilemma.

• [quote The problem is that you've got a ton of people on here who don't really care that much about records, and then elsewhere you've also got dudes who are walking encyclopedias who would rather post about Rickey Henderson because they've grown bored with discussing the same records over and over and over.
    Ha, Ha! This is sooo true...and sad.

• you've got a ton of people on here who don't really care that much about records

THAT is the biggest problem. Get rid of that, the walking encyclopedias and obsessives will get to talking again. We are mostly total nerds who can't avoid talking about records - even over dinner, with friends, family, and so on. There's a large contingent of people who have come on here (and there) in recent years for the social aspect though.

Also, nobody wants to admit it, but a lot of folks came on back in the day when they were very much into records and have since moved on: family, job, mp3s, limited edition t-shirts and sneakers... there are different things now that occupy their time and imagination. Many are still here because they've made friends or just don't want to admit to themselves that they no longer care very much.

• IF Y'ALL WANT ME TO QUIT TALKING ABOUT SPORTS JUST LET YR BOY KNOW. BUT I DO ENJOY THE BANTER.

• The idea of a "record day" seems like a bit of a copout on a music board * dodges flying bottles*.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, the only thing that will inspire more record talk is more record talk. The problem is that you've got a ton of people on here who don't really care that much about records, and then elsewhere you've also got dudes who are walking encyclopedias who would rather post about Rickey Henderson because they've grown bored with discussing the same records over and over and over. It's problem wrapped up in a dilemma.

Sorry, J, but I'm not feeling the negative light you've shined on posting about Rickey Henderson. You should be honored that that $0.40 got you those 25 items on that day.

• IF Y'ALL WANT ME TO QUIT TALKING ABOUT SPORTS JUST LET YR BOY KNOW. BUT I DO ENJOY THE BANTER.

SPORTS IS ALWAYS OK.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    the Lovelites fiasco

what was that? Please to explain! Cause i had my own personal lovelites fiasco earlier this year too...

Sorry, J, but I'm not feeling the negative light you've shined on posting about Rickey Henderson. You should be honored that that $0.40 got you those 25 items on that day

That list was well worth the whole $50 I paid for the last billing cycle.

We are mostly total nerds who can't avoid talking about records - even over dinner, with friends, family, and so on.

THE SAD TRUTH

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    how abouts every Friday? Then we all can have some new shit to listen to over the weekend?

Yes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Don't want to burst your bubble but the way I remember it, the first record day contained the "Upload an Album" thread that went 13 pages or more, which led to the creation of real headz, the Lovelites fiasco, multi-paged debates about mp3s, etc.

Oh, my bubble remains intact - of course I remember the
    "upload an album" thread, and also that it was ONE thread
    on a day where there were a hundred interesting threads about
    labels, artists, spots, etc ... but when it was time for another
    "Record Day" everyone was like "WORD I HOPE MY HARD DRIVE CAN TAKE
    IT" etc, etc -- again, I'm down with the uploads, but I feel like
    that's all anyone cares about, and for me, it was the least interesting
    part of the original "record day" concept.

Hell, Raj started the "state of digging" thread on Record Day,
    because, being a real head, he knowz the dealz.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Yes.

Actually on second thought, just to throw this out there, it'd be cool too if the record days were themed, give things more of a sense of direction. Funk 45 day. Hip-hop album cuts day. Strictly breaks day.

Just a thought. I don't know how we'd decide though.

• Nobody here wants to share "unknown" records... what's stopping anyone from coming out and posting about super secret squirrel raer???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250162364105&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=015

Talk about this record, and the guy who won it.. strange list of items won.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

You have my vote.

I didn't contribute to the last one, so having it as a regular thing would be fantastic!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    it'd be cool too if the record days were themed, give things more of a sense of direction. Funk 45 day. Hip-hop album cuts day. Strictly breaks day.

that could work. It still be a giant mp3 swap though.

• I'm always down for a record day in any form. I shared in this last one and would always do it again. I hope more people will contribute in some way, other than just d/l ing.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    when it was time for another
    "Record Day" everyone was like "WORD I HOPE MY HARD DRIVE CAN TAKE
    IT" etc, etc -- again, I'm down with the uploads, but I feel like
    that's all anyone cares about, and for me, it was the least interesting
    part of the original "record day" concept.

I feel the same way. It seems a bit sterile to me. Just a zillion threads with mp3 overload. And then people get mad when you don't have the energy to check everything out. On the mp3 exchange tip, I could only handle the Moodymann thread (maybe that was the day after, I dunno), but I really enjoyed that one. Why not just balance it out with all the other music talk on a daily basis.

"WORD I HOPE MY HARD DRIVE CAN TAKE IT"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    you've got a ton of people on here who don't really care that much about records

THAT is the biggest problem. Get rid of that, the walking encyclopedias and obsessives will get to talking again. We are mostly total nerds who can't avoid talking about records - even over dinner, with friends, family, and so on. There's a large contingent of people who have come on here (and there) in recent years for the social aspect though.

Also, nobody wants to admit it, but a lot of folks came on back in the day when they were very much into records and have since moved on: family, job, mp3s, limited edition t-shirts and sneakers... there are different things now that occupy their time and imagination. Many are still here because they've made friends or just don't want to admit to themselves that they no longer care very much.

Ill subliminals.

But you forgot to mention those sad ghostlike creatures who haunt the board out of pure force of habit--who are no longer into records and who have also managed to alienate virtually everyone on here.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The idea of a "record day" seems like a bit of a copout on a music board * dodges flying bottles*.

Dude....they're talking about war in Iran at your place.

Better nip that shit in the bud now!!

Dude....they're talking about war in Iran at your place.

Better nip that shit in the bud now!!

I know.

Truth: I come here to interact, kill time and generally be amused/amuse myself.

Seems whenever I post about records, which is fairly often, I get little to no response. Which is cool, but boring.

Social Issues are almost automatic 10 pagers and Sports provide continuous banter.

I dig the banter.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I Propose,

Raj makes a "Record Day" thread that is a permanent sticky (Or maybe even a section of it's own).
    And every day one member of the board must post about any piece of vinyl they wish. Doesn't have to be a full MP3 available, but either a label scan or picture of the cover or of the artist, etc and a write up about the record of some kind. They could even just say it stank... The point is for the member to contribute in some way.

One member per day and if they don't contribute... They get deleted from the board.

It could go something like this.

Oct. 23rd DOR Must post!

Subject: Pied Piper of Funkingham - (Chocolate Cholly's) [1982]

Nothing like a great slice of pizza with your buddy The Pied Piper!
    Is it funk mixed with some early rap? Is it Jazz? Is it Disco?
    "Insert more info"

And then maybe add a sound clip or a whole track or something.

Maybe you don't get deleted for not adding something for your day. But maybe raj could give some kind of bonus to when you do your day. Like Mod for day, where you can change other members names, avatar and other shenanigans!

• that sounds difficult.

My soundcard works again so I was thinking about posting up some music, but also I don't think most people like the kind of music that I like.

that sounds difficult.

My soundcard works again so I was thinking about posting up some music, but also I don't think most people like the kind of music that I like.

Lynard Skynard???

• that sounds difficult.

Lynard Skynard???

naw... I don't really listen to rock music.

that sounds difficult.

Lynard Skynard???

naw... I don't really listen to rock music.

It was a joke....southern rock.....rednecks......rebel flags......never mind.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This sounds like a lot of work every day. Some days I just can't be bothered posting pics/mp3s/writing about them. That stuff takes time.

OK, just re-read it & it's one person per-day, not everyone everyday. Sorry.