Donnie - The Colored Section

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Why did this dude not blow up? I just pulled this record out and it's stillhttp://www.myspace.com/donniemusic

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't know about Donnie, but that old Coloured Section "Bomb MC" 12" is straight proper.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Nah, this is more on some "take that shit to

But really, production and vocals are incredible. He definitely is on some Stevie/Donny ish, but it doesn't come off as fake or contrived.
    I'm just surprised more people haven't been checking for dude. This record came out in 2002 and I never hear people talk about it.

• It was a big deal in the UK when it came out. But yeah, over here, not so much...and it does seem that it has been forgotten...

• I still play the Cloud 9/Spinna 12" occasionally, really nice record...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I still play the Cloud 9/Spinna 12" occasionally, really nice record...

What's that all about[color:white]*[/color] ? I don't think I ever heard it. There's a Danny Krivit edit of "Do You Know" I'm checking out right now.

[color:white]*plaese to poast [/color]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't know about Donnie, but that old Coloured Section "Bomb MC" 12" is straight proper embarassingly corny.

a/k/a MadKap

• Donnie is still around, you know...he just released a new album, The Daily News. It's actually pretty good (although the overt "poetry-slam PC" vibe of the lyrics is a bit much at times)...

I don't know about Donnie, but that old Coloured Section "Bomb MC" 12" is straight proper embarassingly corny.

a/k/a MadKap

How can you rightfully compare tough-dude-sounding, NYC-centric, straight-ahead rappers shouting out golden age mc's to jazz-centric, West Coast neuvo-hippies lyrically praising Dr. Seuss color schemes?

a/k/a MadKap

How can you rightfully compare tough-dude-sounding, NYC-centric, straight-ahead rappers shouting out golden age mc's to jazz-centric, West Coast neuvo-hippies lyrically praising Dr. Seuss color schemes?

It's the same crew, dude. Read up on your readups.

a/k/a MadKap

The read-up I checked does indeed mention that Coke of Madkap was at one time or another a member of Coloured Section...so hooray for faux's uncanny ability to connect his hate through seemingly divergent strands of rap.

The read-up also mentions that Xzibit was at one time a member of the Coloured section....slightly interesting because I'm now left expecting faux to somehow clown each of Xzibit, tha Alkaholiks, Ras Kass, and Saafir as a result of said affiliation.

• How can you rightfully compare tough-dude-sounding, NYC-centric, straight-ahead rappers shouting out golden age mc's to jazz-centric, West Coast neuvo-hippies lyrically praising Dr. Seuss color schemes?

Damn-- surprising that Harvey didn't know that. The beats on Colored Section's Bomb MC EP/LP were actually quite good, though.

Damn-- surprising that Harvey didn't know that. The beats on Colored Section's Bomb MC EP/LP were actually quite good, though.

***Disspelling the myth that I'm such a Project Blowed sycophant that I have followed every step by every artist even marginally associated with either the Good Life or the Blowed.***

I knew that Coloured Section came from LA and I knew their song got big via the Wake Up Show...but that's about it.

Really, not my preferred style of LA rap...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I still play the Cloud 9/Spinna 12" occasionally, really nice record...

Same here, and I still listen to the album often and still love it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

a/k/a MadKap

I liked Madkap's beats though.

a/k/a MadKap

The read-up I checked does indeed mention that Coke of Madkap was at one time or another a member of Coloured Section...so hooray for faux's uncanny ability to connect his hate through seemingly divergent strands of rap.

The read-up also mentions that Xzibit was at one time a member of the Coloured section....slightly interesting because I'm now left expecting faux to somehow clown each of Xzibit, tha Alkaholiks, Ras Kass, and Saafir as a result of said affiliation.

As if I need to point to affilliations to clown the likes of Ras Kass and Xzibit.

• i have the 12''. and maybe played it twice.

BIZAROO STRUT.

Day, I'll check for this.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• the ignore button is your friend.

the ignore button is your friend.

Dude, we're talking about tough-dude-sounding, NYC-centric, straight-ahead rappers shouting out golden age mc's and jazz-centric, West Coast neuvo-hippies lyrically praising Dr. Seuss color schemes that no one cares about. Please don't get it twisted.

To get back on the subject of the thread: I think the fact that Donnie is openly gay may have presented a bit of a marketing puzzle.

• the ignore button is your friend.

Dude, we're talking about tough-dude-sounding, NYC-centric, straight-ahead rappers shouting out golden age mc's and jazz-centric, West Coast neuvo-hippies lyrically praising Dr. Seuss color schemes that no one cares about. Please don't get it twisted.

To get back on the subject of the thread: I think the fact that Donnie is openly gay may have presented a bit of a marketing puzzle.

damn, I didn't know Donnie was a homosexual.

but yo, Faux. Care to mention other R&B albums that didn't blow up but should of?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ooh, ooh, ooh, you love me?

damn, I didn't know Donnie was a homosexual.

but yo, Faux. Care to mention other R&B albums that didn't blow up but should of?

Yeah, he's from Atlanta. Used to perform at the Yin-Yang Cafe right down the block from my old apartment.

I don't know if this album should've blown up, but I definitely think it should have been released:

• LOL!

anyone notice this

Startyourownfuckingthread: TexasRapNoOneCaresAbout

damn, coldblooded-edededed

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Wow, I had no clue. I guess that would make marketing him to females kind of challenging then.

I actually never listened to the whole album from start to finish until this morning. There's a few lackluster joints on there, but there's also some one's too. I can post it in real heads if anyone is interested.

LOL!

anyone notice this

Startyourownfuckingthread: TexasRapNoOneCaresAbout

damn, coldblooded-edededed

That was the most hard-core, non-homosexually-related thing you've ever seen in your life, ha?

• I'm listening to the new Donnie right now, and he's on some serious Norman Whitfield, production-wise...already three tracks in this is sounding like a lost Undisputed Truth LP.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I think that is a big part of it, sad to say. However, his eagerness to sound exactly like Stevie on that LP is maybe the bigger problem for the mainstream. He does a great live show, though I'll give him that.

• I think the fact that Donnie is openly gay may have presented a bit of a marketing puzzle.

I think that is a big part of it, sad to say. However, his eagerness to sound exactly like Stevie on that LP is maybe the bigger problem for the mainstream.

Not when just about every male vocalist on black radio sounds like a weird mutation of Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway and Michael Jackson.