Donnie - The Colored Section

2»

Comments

• I think the fact that Donnie is openly gay may have presented a bit of a marketing puzzle.

I think that is a big part of it, sad to say. However, his eagerness to sound exactly like Stevie on that LP is maybe the bigger problem for the mainstream.

Not when just about every male vocalist on GROWN FOLKS[/b] black radio stations sounds like a weird mutation of Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway and Michael Jackson.

• much of the "neo-soul" that's been put out over the last 10 years has been just straight boring.

Donnie made a simply beautiful Lp.
    Looking forward to catching a listen to the new one.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Not when just about every male vocalist on black radio sounds like a weird mutation of Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway and Michael Jackson.

Every vocalist?? There's a few who try to sound like him, but really there's not that many. I always wonder what soulstrut would've been like in the 70's would there be a big appreciation for the artists when they were actually performing. Would you guys ride for James then? Do most record-philes not actually care about artists until they're dead and gone. For example, Is anyone up on Raul Midon? He just put out a new album which is very interesting.

He was blind since birth, and sings in the vein of Donny and Stevie. However he does not make pop music. In fact he's a wonderful soul guitar player.

My problem with "Donnie" is that the production is modern pap. His vocals are actually not that bad. The songwriting is pretty garbage.

- spidey

• Not when just about every male vocalist on black radio sounds like a weird mutation of Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway and Michael Jackson.

Every vocalist?? There's a few who try to sound like him,

Him? Which one? I named three people...

but really there's not that many.

From the outside looking in, it sure does sound like Stevie, Donny & Michael have the lockdown on current R&B vocalists.

Do most record-philes not actually care about artists until they're dead and gone.

Evidently we do care about current acts. Donnie ain't exactly an oldie-but-goodie and here we are starting a thread about him.

For example, Is anyone up on Raul Midon? He just put out a new album which is very interesting.

He was blind since birth, and sings in the vein of Donny and Stevie. However he does not make pop music. In fact he's a wonderful soul guitar player.

I just heard sound samples on Amazon.com. This album actually started out strong, but somewhere towards the end makes a hard right turn into corny quiet-storm territory and doesn't turn back. I'll pass on Midon for now.

My problem with "Donnie" is that the production is modern pap. His vocals are actually not that bad. The songwriting is pretty garbage.

I have to agree here. He can sing, and there's nice melodies, but the lyrics are on a P.C. high horse and make me cringe.

Him? Which one? I named three people...

I meant, "them." Sorry internet.

Evidently we do care about current acts. Donnie ain't exactly an oldie-but-goodie and here we are starting a thread about him.

A couple, but most newer acts get completly soul-shat upon.

I just heard sound samples on Amazon.com. This album actually started out strong, but somewhere towards the end makes a hard right turn into corny quiet-storm territory and doesn't turn back. I'll pass on Midon for now.

This is precisely what I'm talking about. Anyways, It's a pretty decent album, I haven't heard the album prior to this one. I recently caught him on Leno, and was really impressed. So Impressed I just bought this one for my mother. It's got a few tracks I'm really enjoying though, especially the one sung in spanish.

- spidey

• Evidently we do care about current acts. Donnie ain't exactly an oldie-but-goodie and here we are starting a thread about him.

A couple, but most newer acts get completly soul-shat upon.

There's quite a few new acts I like in a lot of different genres. Just not in contemporary soul music. Not so much out of nostalgia, more like I just think current soul is pretty limp. I know you're gonna say "this is precisely what I'm talking about" (see below), but at the end of the day, I like what I like 'cause I like it. Except for a few neo-soul acts here & there (Van Hunt and Anthony Hamilton are faves of mine), the newer stuff in that category just ain't hitting me in the right place and that's just the way it is.

This is precisely what I'm talking about.

I don't care, I'm not gonna start listening to middle-of-the-road elevator music just to stay Hip With The Times. If that's as good as it gets, I'm going back to my Bobby Rush and Latimore records!

Seriously, I'll give the devil his due - I started to agree with you about Midon, 'cause some of those tracks were right on the money ("Ain't Happened Yet," "Pick Somebody Up"). I wouldn't buy it, but if a free promo came my way, I'd keep it for the few good cuts. Yet and still, he's got a huge schlocky streak (at least on this album), and once he started getting into his adult-contemporary thing ("Tembererana," "Peace On Earth"), he lost me.

• yeah modern soul has been real shitty for the past few years. There's good stuff but it seems to be always relegated to obscure 12'' import status or something like that.

As far as bigger names I'm really riding hard for Amerie, Kelis, as well as indie-folks Chokolate (her album is fire, it should of done a lot better), Platinum Pied Pipers, and Ty & Kory. All of which are more soul mixed with hip-hop or sometype of variation without any of that wood blocks and linen shirt biznass.

Dwele & Bilal are real dope to.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That part where he does the trumpet with his mouth was pretty incredible. Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna check him out.

Just now got to check out Raul Midons debut album State of mind. Can't stress enough how much better this is then the new one. Incredible debut, I'm just now hearing about. Stevie joins him with a harmonica solo. Also, he has a Donnie hathaway tribute.

I'd say his voice sits around the Eric Benet range.

Sorry to hijack.

- spidey

• ...Anthony Hamilton
    THE MAN