86 HIPHOP DOCUMENTARY / FUNKY DRUMMER ID

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
This is from a great dutch documentary from 86. There is a sequence with DMC in his car.Than he turns on a tape and this funky drummer tune comes in. Dope cuts very thick lowbass that the dutch TV microphone couldnt record proper but if you got big speakers on your PC you will get it.Which song is he playing ??? A DJ is cutting up the whole song, so it must be a 12"Starts at 5.44 and stops at 6.12Part 3 with DMC Funky Drummer

PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it took a lot of energy to rhyme back then. dudes would be all chill n shit, then theyre asked to spit, and theyd change into some hype wild rappin machine. these days you can hardly tell where the speaking voice ends and the mcing begins.

• Which song is he playing ??? A DJ is cutting up the whole song, so it must be a 12"

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/music/clipserve/B00009EJC5001005/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_005/403-0355341-7032421

• "telling me I gotta pay for my own room in a hotel...who gives a fuck?"
    Run used to be so hard, but he's the complete oppostite these days. I've seen this documentary before, but for some reason I don't remember this part.

• Quote:

Which song is he playing ??? A DJ is cutting up the whole song, so it must be a 12"

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/music/clipserve/B00009EJC5001005/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_005/403-0355341-7032421

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats the Danny Krivit Edit. I'm talking about the song the DJ is cutting up on the Tape.

There are some sampled vocals on top which are saying 1,2,3,4 and there is a FAT BASS I was refering to.

So this is the funky drummer sampled in a rap tune, a rap 12" instrumental with FAT MIAMI BASSish BASS !!!!

What kinda rap 12" is that ?????

Peace
    Hawkeye

• my guess is it's something that they were working on. Probably Jam Master Jay cutting it up. I am not sure about that, but it doesn't sound too out of the question for him to have a cassette of some tracked out sequences of Jay cutting.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Hawkeye, I'm sure someone at http://www.vinylexchange.com/ know this 12" (if it's a 12")

• can't check out the clip right now but Sweet Tee and Jazzy Joyce had the only record I'm aware of in '86 that sampled "Funky Drummer", and it was "It's My Beat". Not sure if that's it, based on your description though.

• try diggers with gratitude

• Sounds right, here's an audio sample:
    http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/detail.asp?UPC=PRO712612

on second listen, it's wayyyy to slow to be that track, bass is hella fat though.

• that bit with the Biz in part 2 is fucking ace ..... cheers for posting that up -- it was a fun watch.

• No no, thats not the tune. There is not that long bass pause like in the clip with DMC.

I have send a mail to DWG hope they know and answer !!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• No one got it yet? alright yo... It's the feelin james bootleg.

• If you are talking about this

FEELIN' JAMES

We alreday said its not the Danny Krivit of Funky Drummer.

But maybe your are talking about this

FRESH GORDON
    I dont know, I never heard that tune. Does someone got a MP3 of that Fresh Gordon tune ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• But maybe your are talking about this
    FRESH GORDON
    I dont know, I never heard that tune. Does someone got a MP3 of that Fresh Gordon tune ???

Here's a rip of the 12"
    http://rapidshare.com/files/13530837/Fresh_Gordon_-_Feelin__James_12___1978.rar.html

But sadly it is not it.

• Thanks Jaysus.

No its not Fresh Gordon.

I wrote DMC a mail trough myspace, he read it !!!!! But no answer

Maybe we him !!!!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• it is feelin james.. There's no 808 or extra bottom in that track. That's just the bass from his subs in the trunk...
    You guys over analyze things a little too much!

• I think he's right....listen to the end:

http://www.phonicarecords.co.uk/detail.aspx?ID=1392

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You guys over analyze things a little too much!

• can't check out the clip right now but Sweet Tee and Jazzy Joyce had the only record I'm aware of in '86 that sampled "Funky Drummer", and it was "It's My Beat". Not sure if that's it, based on your description though.

Don't forget it's a demo

• j/k... i couldn't help it, i loved this jpeg from the Ultramag drums thread a few weeks ago

• You guys are right about the source. Its realy the portion of "Feelin James". What I thought is sounding like a deep miami sub-bass which couldnt get recorded properbly through tha camera microphone was the basstone under the 1,2,3,4 vocal.

Here are both sequences one after the other. I pushed the bass again.

But I have another opinion when it comes to over-analyzing, I think its better than under-analyzing and otherwise I would never find out what Easy Mo Bee sampled for this god damn "Flava in Ya Ears" song.

• You guys are right about the source. Its realy the portion of "Feelin James". What I thought is sounding like a deep miami sub-bass which couldnt get recorded properbly through tha camera microphone was the basstone under the 1,2,3,4 vocal.

not to over-analyze, but it's "1,2,3, hit me" not "1,2,3,4"

Just kidding Hawkeye!

• Sorry, sometimes I'm incorrect !!!!!

Lustige Videos ??? Gratis Fun Video ??? Deine funny Videos bei Clipfish

Peace
    Hawkeye

Don't forget it's a demo

Did the '86 single version have "Funky Drummer" in it? I know the album version that came out in '88 did, but wasn't sure about the '86 version did or not.

Don't forget it's a demo

Did the '86 single version have "Funky Drummer" in it? I know the album version that came out in '88 did, but wasn't sure about the '86 version did or not.

yeah it did. First time i heard it was on a red alert mix where he played funky drummer and the mixed in it's a demo. Classic.