What is cool to do in boston?

2»

Comments

• I liked Boston..found some records, had some good food (hit up the Atlantic Seafood Company), the Aquarium is cool...I dont understand all this Boston hate...pleasant place to spend a few days IMO.

• It looks like a really pretty city. I'm excited about going. Isn't Sam Adams brewed there? Not the best beer in the world, but hey, thats cool.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Calling Boston racist is like calling Texas right wing and redneck.

• It looks like a really pretty city. I'm excited about going. Isn't Sam Adams brewed there? Not the best beer in the world, but hey, thats cool.

I was never the biggest Sam Adams fan, but I never had it on draught and as you can imagine every fucking place in the city has it on tap, so I ended up drinking it a bunch and ended up liking it. Still think it is kinda in the bottle however, but it is good to beer to have a few of on draught. Goes well with a Lobster roll!

• i like Boston and there are great things to do there for a week. Living there, can get a little much after a while though.
    I went to school there and had several LA friends that despised the town. Then again most people from LA think everywhere sucks besides LA.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It looks like a really pretty city. I'm excited about going. Isn't Sam Adams brewed there? Not the best beer in the world, but hey, thats cool.

Yeah, the Sam Adams brewery is actually just down the street from
    me - in a small neighborhood a little removed from downtown called
    Jamaica Plain ... it's only a 15 minute bus ride out of downtown and
    a pretty cool little area with some good shops and eateries ... our
    only local record store closed a couple of years ago though (RIP Hi-Fi )
    Anyway, you can take a tour of the brewery and they let you drink a
    boatload of the stuff on the tour, people always end up pretty buzzed.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    people always end up pretty buzzed.

I once got in a really cool brawl at this late night eatery called Buzzy's! It was with Yankees fans. I hate baseball but I had to jump in on principle. I remember stumbling around with a Yankee fan under each arm in a headlock and getting punched in the face by a third dude. NO FAIR!

Boston sucks though. Eat food and go to the aquarium, that's about it. Oh and there was some really bad bar called The Rack that had pool and hot bartendresses (geddit).

My sister lived in JP for a while. Just seemed like New Jersey.

I hate everyone.

• people always end up pretty buzzed.

I once got in a really cool brawl at this late night eatery called Buzzy's! It was with Yankees fans. I hate baseball but I had to jump in on principle. I remember stumbling around with a Yankee fan under each arm in a headlock and getting punched in the face by a third dude. NO FAIR!

Boston sucks though. Eat food and go to the aquarium, that's about it. Oh and there was some really bad bar called The Rack that had pool and hot bartendresses (geddit).

Dude...if you ended up at the rack, the problem may be your sister or your friends.

It ain't the city.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    people always end up pretty buzzed.

Dude...if you ended up at the rack, the problem may be your sister or your friends.

It ain't the city.

Leave my sister out of this. She lived there way after that episode. And we ended up at Buzzy's, obviously. Jeez, kids. Are you not glad that Yankee fan blood was shed?

I did also see Inspiral Carpets there in 1989 or 90 and Noel Gallagher was their roadie. But that's a boring story.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    hahah - good lord I haven't thought about Buzzy's in some time. That's the sort of place you just look at and can only think of consequential diarrhea/food poisoning.

I'm surprised people are even reccomending the food in that town - I can think of 2 memorable meals withing 4 years of living there -
    1) the sushi at the raw bar - hotel clio. that shit was fucking ridiculous.
    2) the brisket sandwich at Zaftig's in Brookline. shit came between two latkes....so dope.

got to say - that was one of the other weak ass parts of that city - sooooo many Jews and ONE real deli in the whole city? retarted.

• for bars, check the following:

1. wallys
    2. jacques (edit: for tranny loving construction workers)
    3. deluxe
    4. middle east
    5. charlies

• Sorry, Sports Casual. you're right...no need to bring Sis into this.

But, judging Boston on the Rack is like judging NYC on Coyote Ugly...just sayin'...there are shitty bars in every town on the planet.

Anyway...

Egbert. Come. Enjoy. walk around. See the city. we'll go for drinks, and everyone will have fun.

done.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Take the Red Line to Broadway and explore Southie. It is where the real Massholes dwell... then take a bus to City Point and hit up the L Street Taven (where they filmed a scene in Goodwill Hunting). The irish mafia dudes just chill out and gamble and drink beer and tell stories of Whitey Bulger. Then if you have time, take your white ass into Roxbury and take the "New Edition" tour. If you get thirsty, there is a Dunkin Donuts every three feet!

2) the brisket sandwich at Zaftig's in Brookline. shit came between two latkes....so dope.

got to say - that was one of the other weak ass parts of that city - sooooo many Jews and ONE real deli in the whole city? retarted.

Considering that Zaftig's is not a real deli, and there are 4 or 5
    genuine ones within a 1/4 mile of the place, you are really showing
    your ass on that one.

• 2) the brisket sandwich at Zaftig's in Brookline. shit came between two latkes....so dope.

your ass on that one.

Ummmm...Yeah...That whole neighborhood is closed on Saturdays.

Forget Boston. Come to Montreal. We've got better women, a better shamelessly feminine hockey team, & better food.

I knew I forgot something.

Hey, I left the first & third alone, I am only out for truth.

• hmmm...good ol' boston.
    college town. plenty of sluts.
    good steak.
    bomb indian, thai, west indian food.
    plenty of irish bahs.
    raj suggested southie, not exactly how it used to be... but to see real deep hearted ignorance you must go to charlestown.
    you have to be from here to find the good pizza.

cambridge is your best bet to have the all inclusive package, food, records, clubs that dont cater too hard to the top 40.

i think the music scene here is a joke, blog djs are quite popular, youll be lucky if you find and real heat in a record shop. gary bartz lps dont count.

stay away from the downtown night life, landsdowne st., fanuiel hall etc.

boston is set up nice, very scenic, and a comfortable pace.
    with all that being said, i want to move.

your ass on that one.

I knew I was going to get crap for that. And you're right to a certain extent - Zaftig's is not a "real" deli. But from what I can remember - this was the only place to get food like that in town. This is from about four years ago - what other spots are there that are so close by? I'm talking about a place where they actually have tongue on the menu. And I know that little buthcer place in Newton...at least I think it was Newton.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hmmm...good ol' boston.
    college town. plenty of sluts.
    good steak.
    bomb indian, thai, west indian food.
    plenty of irish bahs.
    raj suggested southie, not exactly how it used to be... but to see real deep hearted ignorance you must go to charlestown.
    you have to be from here to find the good pizza.

cambridge is your best bet to have the all inclusive package, food, records, clubs that dont cater too hard to the top 40.

i think the music scene here is a joke, blog djs are quite popular, youll be lucky if you find and real heat in a record shop. gary bartz lps dont count.

stay away from the downtown night life, landsdowne st., fanuiel hall etc.

boston is set up nice, very scenic, and a comfortable pace.
    with all that being said, i want to move.

good summary...

everyone hating on boston needs to step the fuck back... really unless you are living in NYC or LA, you are fooling yourself if you think wherever you are is some fucking mountaintop where you can look down on boston and laugh...

the lack of a good dj scene (the rock band scene has always been pretty fucking solid) is the only thing that really brings boston down for me... when the Enormous Room is the "cool option" you know you are in trouble... also the lack of 24 hour public transit is super fucking wack...

however there are plenty of good cheap bars, solid record spots, way more history than any city in the US (prove me wrong), a very walkable and scenic downtown, and of course STEAK TIPS (fuck a philly cheesesteak, a good steak tips sub is untouchable)...

the thing with boston, (especially in the last 10 years, as alot of the back bay and other central neighborhoods have been whored out to goofball chain restaurants) is that alot of the cool stuff is not really apparent to tourists... ie. i grew up in boston and lived there on and off in my 20's and have never been in the Rack or any of those douchebag palaces in faneuil hall... boston has almost as many ethnic restaurants as NYC, they are just off the beaten path... like you can get great brazilian food is you trek your ass to the far reaches of somerville and real deal mexican food if you go to east boston...

the bar list posted earlier was decent... w/o repeating anything, i would mention:

the silhoutte ...cheap pitchers, a nice mix of old drunks and young hipsters... where the cutie bartenders from the model drink on their off days (back in my day...)

foley's- the downtown location is a nice taste of "Boston Irish Bar" w/o being corny... has been there forever... the type of place where you see bike messengers and ex-skinheads drinking w/ office worker suits...

jacob wirths- open since 1868 (check the bathrooms, yo), has cheap beer and good food and at a location where you can see clockers n junkies mix w/ tourist buses...

brendan behan- in SOI's stomping grounds of JP, another example of an irish bar that is all bostony in the best sense... also across the the street from the milky way, the bar/bowling alley and one of the few places that had consistantly decent DJ nights when i lived there...

that said, i will say my alot of my favorite bars in boston (tim's, the cambridgeport, charlie flynn's) have closed since i loved there...

when the Enormous Room is the "cool option" you know you are in trouble... also the lack of 24 hour public transit is super fucking wack...

Fall back...I spun every Friday at the Enormous Room for two years. Place was a savior to me years back.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

when the Enormous Room is the "cool option" you know you are in trouble... also the lack of 24 hour public transit is super fucking wack...

Fall back...I spun every Friday at the Enormous Room for two years. Place was a savior to me years back.

god bless it if it got you paid, but that place is corny as hell...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Forget Boston. Come to Montreal. We've got better women, a better shamelessly feminine hockey team, & better food.

I knew I forgot something.

Hey, I left the first & third alone, I am only out for truth.

I'm happy a real hockey head stepped up. I miss the days when MTL vs Boston was an event. A should have qualified my statement by saying a historically better hockey team.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

god bless it if it got you paid, but that place is corny as hell...

Hey, the Enormous Room was pretty dope for a bit until the striped-shirt crowd found it. PJ (PJ4533 on SS) used to play there before he moved on to Zu Zu and The Middlesex. You can still get the same no-college-students-no-tourists vibe at Lucky's but the music and food leave something to be desired. For soul nights, just hit Soulellujah on Saturday night and call it a trip.

For records, you're better off contacting collectors through Strutters than hitting the local stores, although sometimes a nice collection will come in somewhere and you can cop some good stuff. Don't think anybody hasn't figured out Popsike, though.

Also check out:

Museums
    The Museum of Fine Arts[/b]???several excellent collections, and you might as well hit
    The Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum[/b]???location of the greatest art heist in history, and still home to a nice collection

Bars
    Deep Ellum[/b]???Nothing but incredible beers on tap, and a pretty cool clientele. Not as hipsterissh as the Silhouette or The Model, but I think that's a good thing.
    Bukowski[/b]???Also has a great beer selection, and they usually play some great music. Try their burgers.
    Sunset Grill[/b]???Something like 400+ beers available, plus mead. Be careful with the mead, though. Some are fantastic, and others taste like what I imagine foot sweat to taste like.
    The Last Hurrah at the Omni Parker Hotel[/b]???Excellent top shelf spot for bourbon, etc. They also provide free bowls of warm mixed nuts and the place has a 1920s Art Deco feel that I dig.

Music Venues
    Common Ground and Harper's Ferry[/b]???I put them together because they're a couple of blocks from each other and are the premiere venues for up-and-coming rock bands in the city.
    Middle East[/b]???The venue of choice for many midlevel rock and hip hop groups when they hit Boston.
    Zu Zu[/b]???The Saturday night home of Soulellujah, our local soul weekly spot.

I'm down to drink and listen to records, and maybe grill if it's not snowing yet.

• Yes, there are absolutely no records in boston. Kon got them all. yep, all gone.

For music, boston definately is primarily a rock town. So everything kinda falls second to that. Boston is behind on most music trends and whatnot.

That said, there are some real gems around the city to be found. Most have been mentioned in this thread. But the real important thing, is that those little gems (whether it be a cool bar, or a good dj night) are appreciated so much more by the people involved, simply because it is recognized as something rare. I think this goes a long way to making the overall vibe of the "good" shit in the city much better than another city where its taken for granted.

-pj

• nice - i will have to dig this thread up in a couple weeks when i go to boston. when i went to school there, bisquit head records was still around, lansdowne street was the place to be on the weekends and if you wanted to hear hip hop at a club u had to either be at Bills Bar on a tuesday night - forget the dj's name, but he was dope - or at an all black club, or at one of those super clubs out in the suburbs with multiple rooms. jamn 94.5 was also the only non-college radio station that played anything close to hip hop and roy barbosa was their only mix show dj.

• I'm surprised people are even reccomending the food in that town - I can think of 2 memorable meals withing 4 years of living there -
    1) the sushi at the raw bar - hotel clio. that shit was fucking ridiculous.

Dude, there are some excellent restaurants in Boston, except there are not that many great spots for mid priced food. The top shelf restaraunts can hang with a number of places in LA.
    Don't get me wrong, i prefer LA to Boston. but you born and bread LA heads are such hatteurs.

Here's a food tip even some Boston heads may not be up on.
    Best BBQ in Massachusetts, if not all of New England:

Pit Stop, 888 Morton St, Mattapan

Only open Thursday-Saturday, and you'll need a car
    to get over there ... this place is incredible. Just
    a little shack with a hole cut in the wall behind the
    counter revealing a massive BBQ pit. Once you eat here,
    you'll never look at ribs the same way again. One thing -
    their Mac & Cheese is not up to the quality of Bob's on
    Columbus Ave - AKA the second best food in Boston?