Does anybody else feel "BLASE" about records?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I was sick at home last week and Man came home with a package with three beautiful records (Thank You Good Jonny Paycheck Records!!!) - I can't feel blase about that!

jonny is your MAN?? SCANDAL!!!!

Oh jeez. No, he SENT me records that my Man brought home. I get records sent to Man's store as I don't want them sitting around on my porch at home.

• I have never been a hardcore digger, but I like to spend some time on it. Especially when I am travelling, I try to pick up some records. I doubt that I will stop doing that in the near future.

However, digging in Germany can be really frustrating as "finding" records is quite difficult. Almost every record seller (including fleamarket dudes and shitty thrift like 2nd hand spots) somehow knows the deal. Dollarbins hardly exist.
    It`s no fun at all if the records at the flea market start at 5??? and prices sky rocket if the record could probably be slightly interesting (i.e. any MPS or Krautrock = at least 20??? and onwards). Fortunately, there are still a couple of exceptions.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I started to get bummed and disillusioned about it and then I realized it had more to do with dealing with stores and people who had shitty attitudes

Yeah, this is the stuff that wears on me too. Records unto themselves are always great.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im tired of buyin records. real life has been callin lately and i think i have enough space being taken up to call it quits for 6 months to a year to forever.. i dont know.
    with that said i have a chance to hit up a wareouse full of records and i dont even know if i want to anymore

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I never feel Blase about records. Then again im not some superhunter so i dont even feel the effects of burnout.

• im tired of buyin records. real life has been callin lately and i think i have enough space being taken up to call it quits for 6 months to a year to forever.. i dont know.
    with that said i have a chance to hit up a wareouse full of records and i dont even know if i want to anymore

plaese to holler at me with warehouse location!!!!!
    i will sacrifice three bikini clad women on your luminous altar

• "digging" for some is a phase that they go through trying to be cool.

it is up to each person to decide if they are totally over it (because it no longer holds social capital for them), if they do not have the time (we were all young and unemployed once), or if they are frustrated with their lack of success.... I see some folks that used to post hard on this forum on some brand new shit talwmnbout I don't really care about records anymore, but it's true, sometimes it's just a lifestyle affect and in 2007 people trade those out like breakbeat doubles and rap promos.

totally. i'm hella into streetwear now and collecting southern rap mp3's. Records aren't as cool anymore, I mean when I'm at the "getting wild in a safe place party" I can't floss my record collection in front of the party photographer.

Seriously, I still by records but I haven't been on a real deal "BEATZ MIZZION" in a minute. Shit, I'm going to Japan again in December so maybe then I'll feel excited because there will be some actual dope schitt there.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im tired of buyin records. real life has been callin lately and i think i have enough space being taken up to call it quits for 6 months to a year to forever.. i dont know.

plaese to holler at me with warehouse location!!!!!
    i will sacrifice three bikini clad women on your luminous altar

dude you dont have to do that. im not a super nazi when it comes to my record hideouts. i look out for my peoples. if you do head down this way in the future, id look out

• damn, so that explains all the raers at the thrifts and local spots

okay, i haven't clicked on either of these videos but i say it's "the thrill is gone" and "you've lost that lovin' feelin'". do i win anything?

• buying records is for SQUARES.
    unless you're buying records from me... then it's very, very cool. what up T**y!

• ready.
    go phillies

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I just drove 1,800 miles and dug for 6 days to buy 300 records...

And this dude has a warehouse to hit and is thinking about passing on it...

Sickening.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Why is blas?? in quotes, as if Young P isn't certain whether or not it's a real word?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I just drove 1,800 miles and dug for 6 days to buy 300 records...

And this dude has a warehouse to hit and is thinking about passing on it...

Sickening.

Saying. That's some holy grail opportunity right there.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Why is blas?? in quotes, as if Young P isn't certain whether or not it's a real word?

i think its more an "air quotes" quote.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    it helps to move somewhere where there are very few records

I'd have to drive approx 14 hours to hittup a decent store.

i currently spend the money i used to spend on records in toronto on geetars and gear...mmmmmmmm studio

i still snag the occasional mail order / bay / buy a record at a gig

but my days of 50 - 100 12"s a haul are probably gone...

• It's interesting that this came up in convo because I bought two records last week. They were the first records I've purchased in a long time. As I was kickin back, listening to these new acquisitions, it made me wonder if I was over it or not.

Considering that I have a VERY sparse setup at home and 95% of my record collection (including tables, mixer, stereo equipment)are still in storage on the east coast, I think it has more to do with the fact that I've had to completely re-focus many aspects of my life. Music has had to take a backseat to that for the past few years. When I was actively digging, I had mostly good luck at finding good shit and even on those fruitless occasions in the field, I still enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. I guess having a lack of new things to listen to has waned my interest in record collecting. However, I've been getting that urge to hit up some spots lately.

And I still have those elusive joints that keep my interest piqued.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

RAD

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I cant trawl online for MP3s, it is boring as hell. I like going through boxes and boxes of records, it is theraputic, even if I dont buy anything. When I am feeling stressed, I go to this spot in town. To ease my mind I will go a spend a few hours of digging boxes from out of under tables and just sit and go through 45s. Sometimes, I dont buy anything but it is cool to just hole up in there and go through and listen to a hundred 45s. You also find realy raer records(though you know you are going to have to pay) and it is cool just to see them.
    I totally agree with the theraputic thing.

• For me, I feel like I've been in a record lull that's been growing over the past 6 months or so. I sell more records than I buy lately, and I haven't had much interest in going out to look for new records. I haven't really been "digging" (actually doing more than going to the record store and looking through the bins) in years now, it seems. I know part of why I haven't been into it is not having anybody around me at all who buys records like I do. I also didn't have a car for about a year and a half. I've also been preparing to purchase my first bit of property. All that has caused me to lose sight of music/records quite a bit, but it's not something I feel will disappear forever. I am in the quality>quantity boat right now and would rather sell a halfway interesting record than buy one. I've realized that, while I do like Cannonball Adderley quite a bit, I probably don't need 15 of his albums. It helps to stop for a while and go back and see what you have, see if your tastes have changed, and see what records have stood the test of time. Also, stores around my way have been pretty dry as of late as well. Lots of things factor into my lack of record-buying.

I will say it feels really great to dump off 300-400 records in a week. It's like my apartment gained a little square-footage. Gearing up to move is always a great reason to slim down the racks as well. I do not want to break my back lugging terds across the city.

it is up to each person to decide if they are totally over it (because it no longer holds social capital for them), if they do not have the time (we were all young and unemployed once), or if they are frustrated with their lack of success.... I see some folks that used to post hard on this forum on some brand new shit talwmnbout I don't really care about records anymore, but it's true, sometimes it's just a lifestyle affect and in 2007 people trade those out like breakbeat doubles and rap promos.

totally. i'm hella into streetwear now and collecting southern rap mp3's. Records aren't as cool anymore, I mean when I'm at the "getting wild in a safe place party" I can't floss my record collection in front of the party photographer.

Seriously, I still by records but I haven't been on a real deal "BEATZ MIZZION" in a minute. Shit, I'm going to Japan again in December so maybe then I'll feel excited because there will be some actual dope schitt there.

I figured you would get offended. I say if it doesn't hold an ounce of truth you have nothing to worry about. I know you are keeping it real for San Mateo.

HOWEVER, just seeing and talking to cats (many of whom are MIA from this site too, not trying to subliminally imply anyone in this actual thread) it seems like some people slip into and out of records like a new, hip bar or a hot pair of sneakers.

Soulhawk's right - there's guys on here who are seriously into records, and guys who (sometimes) think records are cool. Nothing wrong with either thing.

And PATRICK, as far as you specifically are concerned you have some of the best resources for finding good records right there in your own city - so I can't really believe that it's for lack of turning up something dope that you made this thread.

This subject comes up so often and it always seems to me like a lot of dudes who "give up on records" have narrow tastes, think they've seen it all, and get frustrated cause they cannot find any of the 100 rare records they have on the want-list while casually browsing at the record shop.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For some it's a fad.

For some it's a lifestyle.

For some it's a fad.

For some it's a lifestyle.

Not that I'm knocking the fad people. They seem to actually have friends and see the sunshine.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For some it's Oakley Blades.

For some it's eyes.

For some it's Oakley Blades.

Oh shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I spent yesterday morning listening to cheesy European house music by duress. My downstairs neighbor cornered me on the stoop and told me that he "had some records" for me. I always cringe when this happens, because ten times out of ten it's going to be garbage and, on top of that, people will attempt to attach strings to it. As if allowing my apartment to serve as your trash receptacle somehow places me in your debt. Sure enough, he wanted know if I could burn them to CD for him. Because he described them as "45s" and said that there were only three of them, I agreed to do it. He must've been really pressed about it, because he stopped by with the records later that day. They did--as represented--play at 45 rpms, but this was not because they were 7"s. No indeed, they were European house 12"s, each one with about four different mixes. And each track about ten minutes long. So I spent an hour burning them to CD for him solely because I was afraid that if I didn't eventually give him a CD he would ask for the records back, and I wanted to throw them away as soon as possible.

I think I might not like records anymore after that experience.

I figured you would get offended. I say if it doesn't hold an ounce of truth you have nothing to worry about. I know you are keeping it real for San Mateo.

HOWEVER, just seeing and talking to cats (many of whom are MIA from this site too, not trying to subliminally imply anyone in this actual thread) it seems like some people slip into and out of records like a new, hip bar or a hot pair of sneakers.

Soulhawk's right - there's guys on here who are seriously into records, and guys who (sometimes) think records are cool. Nothing wrong with either thing.

And PATRICK, as far as you specifically are concerned you have some of the best resources for finding good records right there in your own city - so I can't really believe that it's for lack of turning up something dope that you made this thread.

What source, pray tell is that?

I'm more interested in listening to good music then finding a record(s) that i'll just needle drop and put away and never really think about. I think that's why I still fuck with Groove Merchant, i can pull something i'll enjoy and care about.

This whole "LIFESTYLE" talk is fucking corny. it's just records. You guys sound like timmy digalots.

• naaaaa. that shit is ingrained in my lifestyle. its like hunting and forraging. you just do it and use it as a meditative experience whilst in the midst of doing it

yall get all stressed out and bent out of shape about some tidlywink shit. might as well move on and move out. i would expound in more detail about why it is a lifestyle, but it would reveal my spots and methods.