VH1 Hip Hop Honors - A Tribe Called Quest

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody know who else is up? And who is gonna do the cover songs? Common- again.... Consensus favorite. I hope to go again this year.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    THIS has to be good!

doesnt it??

unless its sean kingston and fabolous doing tribe joints....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    THIS has to be good!

doesnt it??

unless its sean kingston and fabolous doing tribe joints....

See thats the big question. Who does this shit? The same ole tweed kangol rappers or somebody who will surprise you.

De La doin Tribe.......Hhmmmmm? Fugees reunion doin Tribe? Lil Wayne? Kanye?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Paul Barman

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    And who is gonna do the cover songs?

My guess is a selection from the Okayplayer collective.

• soulja boy

• soulja boy

BACK IN THE DAYS ON THE BOULEVARD OF LINDEN
    I SUPERMAN THAT HOE AND CRANK THAT FUNKY CHICKEN

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And who is gonna do the cover songs?

My guess is a selection from the Okayplayer collective.

WINNER. But there's always going to be one, left field choice in there. Not sure that'd be Soulja Boy but I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Wayne hit the stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Wayne hit the stage.

I wouldnt be mad at that.

• FABO would be dope.

• Andre 3000.... Q-Tip is his favorite rapper

• soulja boy

you know, i really think that could be very interesting. down south rappers of today covering classic hip hop tunes from yesteryear, but doing them THEIR way, music and all. a lot of those dudes actually do know their hip hop history and are big fans of the classic schitt. somebody greenlight that schitt NOW. crank dat robocop boy he's down with us

A Tribe Called Quest will take the stage along with honorees Snoop Dogg, WHODINI, Missy Elliott, and Teddy Riley and Andre Harrell for New Jack Swing at the fourth annual VH1 Hip Hop Honors. VH1 will also honor the seminal hip hop film Wild Style. Hosted by Tracy Morgan, VH1 will once again pay tribute to the hip hop luminaries who broke new ground and pioneered the genre into a true cultural phenomenon.

Taping at New York City's famed Hammerstein Ballroom on Thursday, October 4, and premiering on VH1 and VH1 Soul on Monday, October 8 at 10PM, this year's show will feature performances by the honorees, along with Ciara, Eve, Pharrell Williams, The Game, T.I., Timbaland, Bow Wow, Busta Rhymes, Common, T-Pain, Keyshia Cole and Nick Cannon as well as an appearance by Chris Rock. Additional performances and appearances will be announced shortly.

The music and influence of each of the honorees will be recognized through performances in collaboration with some of today's hottest talent. Generations of hip hop will bridge the gap for one exceptional night to set it off with the original style and flavor that sparked and inspired the evolution of the music.

Beginning August 27, the voting period for The Score begins at http://hiphop.vh1.com. Viewers will decide through online voting who has what it takes to create and produce.

The winner will receive show credit, the opportunity to be mentored by Ahmir "Guestlove" Thompson from The Roots during a session where the winning score will be professionally produced and a trip to NYC to attend the taping of the fourth annual VH1 Hip Hop Honors celebration in New York in October.

Additionally, in early September, VHI.com will launch a dedicated VH1 Hip Hop Honors Web site with honoree profiles, exclusive online content and more.[/b]

MISSY ELLIOT...........GTFOHWTB.

HELLS TO THE YES.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't get Missy either. I think she may deserve the recognition...10 years from now but now? Shit, has even Queen Latifah been an honoree yet?

I don't get Missy either. I think she may deserve the recognition...10 years from now but now? Shit, has even Queen Latifah been an honoree yet?

Exactly. Salt N Pepa > Missy, unless they got honored already.

Oof - they went in w/ the first class.

As far as females are concerned - Latifah really only has one album, but what she represented was so much more than lyrical skill.

oh THWEEEEEEET!!
    NICK CANNON, CIARA AND BOW WOW. PERFECT. WHAT, WERE THEY TODDLERS WHEN ATCQ WERE AROUND? AND THE GAME. CANT WE SAVE THAT GARBAGE FOR THE DRE SHOW?

WHO IS GUESTLOVE?

• Amir "Guestlove" Thompson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    soulja boy

you know, i really think that could be very interesting. down south rappers of today covering classic hip hop tunes from yesteryear, but doing them THEIR way, music and all. a lot of those dudes actually do know their hip hop history and are big fans of the classic schitt. somebody greenlight that schitt NOW. crank dat robocop boy he's down with us

The Terrorists redid South Bronx as South Park...although that was about 10 years ago.

Z-Ro recently redid Scarface's Never Seen a Man Cry.

UGK and Bun B redid 2 Live Crew's Get It Girl.

TI redid UGK's Front Back and Side to Side.

Juvenile explicitly reworked Sir Mix A Lot's Posse on Broadway flow.

Mike Jones might as well have just redone Eazy E's Boyz N tha Hood with My 6-4.

Just to provide some examples...

or master p redoing eric b for pres on ghetto d

• soulja boy

yeah... i meant REAL classics... like stuff from NYC

• soulja boy

The Terrorists redid South Bronx as South Park...although that was about 10 years ago.

UGK YYT and Bun B redid 2 Live Crew's Get It Girl.

UGK redid Life Is Too Short as well.

Rick Ross has redone Scarface stuff.

Still though, to have some of these south youngins, that people seem to think are so disconnected, redo some classic NY/Cali joints would be great. Like Phill said, I thkink some of these kids do know their hip hop shit.

soulja boy

So NOLA hasn't yet done enough with Triggaman?

• yeah... i meant REAL classics... like stuff from NYC

this is too easy... i'll stop now before i get started

this is too easy... i'll stop now before i get started

Plaese to get started.

Slick Rick...resucitated by Chamillionaire, and Outkast before that.

Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, and Marley Marl...resucitated by UGK.

I'll be waiting...

Slick Rick...resucitated

Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, and Marley Marl...resucitated

theyre resuscitated?

Slick Rick...resucitated

theyre resuscitated?

Cobwebs at least temporarily removed.

• Kool G Rap

Really? I don't think that UGK track resuscitated him anymore than Letter P with Saigon, or the exposure from The Roots, maybe it's just where you live, but he's been doing a bunch of (admittedly not particularly good) stuff on mixtapes and things for a while...

Slick Rick...resucitated

theyre resuscitated?

Cobwebs at least temporarily removed.

premo dusted them off in the early 00's. well, at least kgr and bdk.

Kool G Rap

Really? I don't think that UGK track resuscitated him anymore than Letter P with Saigon, or the exposure from The Roots, maybe it's just where you live, but he's been doing a bunch of (admittedly not particularly good) stuff on mixtapes and things for a while...

So Saigon and the Roots also had the #1 album on Billboard?