sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    wow
    you are on the cutting edge

sad

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The confusing thing is that the copy for this was clearly written back BEFORE Rob, Jared and Steve parted ways but the address listed is for their new location. BUT, the photo is of the old spot.

• no, thats the new spot.

• So if your original Nasty Nas ???Halftime??? single ever gets taken hostage by a psychobitch, soon-to-be-ex girlfriend, go to the Library and let the healing begin.

• no, thats the new spot.

i am truly these days- i don't even remember the TSL crew breaking up. who is TSL now and what are the rest of the gang doing?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Is "Golden Age" Hip Hop the new Classic Rock.

• Rob and Ras opened the new Sound Library on Orchard Street, Steve and Jared opened Big City Records on 12th Street. Both shops are world class as one would expect.

• i've never been to sound library. is it any good ? how does it compare to my favoriet shop (gm) and do they carry sound libraries in the sound library ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i've never been to sound library. is it any good ?

The OG was good.

• i've never been to sound library. is it any good ?
    Yes. The new and the old one.

how does it compare to my favoriet shop (gm) and do they carry sound libraries in the sound library ?
    Never been to Groove Merchant (yet) but TSL got libraries.

Hi Dave.

• i've never been to sound library. is it any good ? how does it compare to my favoriet shop (gm) and do they carry sound libraries in the sound library ?
    dave, i've not been to the new t.s.l. but i can tell you the old t.s.l. was one of my favorite 5 stores on earth. they only deal in ex/mint condition so the stuff is really expensive. i would compare nyc's A-1 records closer to groove merchant because they deal in all conditions of stuff. t.s.l. also stock's about 100 or so library records in the racks and has super library heat behind the counter. i'm sure you would have no problem spending 1000's in t.s.l.
    peace, stein. . .

I haven't been to the new TSL but the old one deserved the props it earned. Great selection (though you paid for it) and it had heaterz for daaaaays.

Big City is really cool, mostly because Jared is a good dude and the selections are still strong.

Between the two, the latter is more like the Groove Merchant...GM doesn't do the same volume as TSL so their stock can't really compete but real headz know that Chris always stocks some killer stuff and price-wise, GM (from my experience) is more reasonable than TSL. Besides, GM's customer service is >>>>> than places like TSL and A-1. (Good Records excepted, of course).

But if you like the kind of joints you'd find at GM, then yeah, you'd probably like TSL or Big City. A-1 is just depressing to me. Has been for years. It's like they really don't give a fuck but apparently, business is still good enough that they're around.

• Rob and Ras opened the new Sound Library on Orchard Street, Steve and Jared opened Big City Records on 12th Street. Both shops are world class as one would expect.

Jared is good peoples!

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    imho

the new sound library is not as good as the old one-it has half the buying power
    now that the og crew has split up

the parking in that area is not as good-[important esp as a seller lugging crates]
    the two guys that run it were the least hospitable of the original crew-and are a bit stand off ish/know it all types who make you feel less than comfortable when dealing with them.
    Also dudes there have insulted my intelligence by offering me what I consider unreasonable sums for rare records-so they don't get my overstock anymore -and haven't for 3 years[10 dollars for mint queen constance,20 dollars for donna mcghee-no thanks]

I find TSL to have a clinical,unfunky,and sterile vibe with not much improvement on floor space/ergonomics or stock selection over the old location.
    And they don't stock that many library records nor specialize in them as the name would imply.

Academy records consistently has more library records than any record store in NYC.
    They have permanent hook ups with radio stations and other ongoing sources for libs.
    They are cheaper than TSL on all things[20-40%] but carry different stock[more jazz/psych/rock less rare hip hop]and the grading is not as strict as TSL-but by no means are they selling rinked crap!!!

Academy,Big City records,and Good records are where its at for me as a buyer and seller.I think these stores have more vibe and personality and are more fun to deal with.

A-1's new arrivals bins are usually ok and the store is indeed funky if not in need of a paintjob/makeover.
    But A-1 NEVER has any money to buy stuff and the wall at A-1 is[usually] lacklustre
    in comparison to their competitors.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i agree the new TSL isn't as good as the old one but it's still worth a visit. it's not too far from Good. last time I went there i found a couple long time wants for pretty reasonable prices.

i actually haven't been to Big City yet. it's at 12th and what?

• i've never been to sound library. is it any good ?
    Yes. The new and the old one.

how does it compare to my favoriet shop (gm) and do they carry sound libraries in the sound library ?
    Never been to Groove Merchant (yet) but TSL got libraries.

Hi Dave.

hi mike.

get your butt to groove merchant dude. hate to plug chris' store ad nauseum but it's the best store in terms of diversity of selection (quality not quantity). i have a very easy time spending money there unfortunatly for my wallet.

tsl sounds, cool i should get to ny sometime in the future.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    SECOND HAND ROSE IS WHERE THE ILL HEAT IS COPPED

• SECOND HAND ROSE IS WHERE THE ILL HEAT IS COPPED

SHHHH! DUDE STOP BLOWING UP THE SPOTz.

JUST FOR THAT I AM GONNA HIT YOU WHERE IT HURTS!

ALEIT COPPS ALL HIS HEAT AT "HARRY & KARL'S COME FLEA WITH ME". STRAIGHT HEAT FOR $20 A BOX STORAGE UNIT STYLEE.

THERE YOU HAVE IT. REAL WORLD MOVES UNMASKED.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    What type of shit should I bring to trade at these stores? I don't wanna haul stuff that I can't get rid of... I'm going to NY to the usual suspects and Groove Merchant...

peace.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "HARRY & KARL'S COME FLEA WITH ME"

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think Cosmos has all these beat in terms of selection and diversity. However, the prices are also higher.

Cosmos is a more European/Japanese styled record store.

is that the spot on ave A across from the park?
    has anyone ever found anything in there?
    gotta be something.jeeez

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i've been over there since 1998. My dopest spot back then in NY. You need to take a ladder with you tho', you gotta climb!!!LOL...

is that the spot on ave A across from the park?
    has anyone ever found anything in there?
    gotta be something.jeeez

i was pretty shocked by their outrageous prices and on top of that the old couple that run it are bugged out and not too friendly. dude was muttering under his breath the whole time i was in there. 30-40 bucks for mad common late 70's jazz turds.
    imho it that oplace is

• honestly, ive walked by it 3 dozen times and never even poked my head in. always in a rush to get to TSL...now Big city and GoodieGood Records.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I think Cosmos has all these beat in terms of selection and diversity. However, the prices are also higher.

Cosmos is a more European/Japanese styled record store.

I was impressed by Cosmos, but TSL has records in better condition. Cosmos was
    VG + records that aren't that rare at extremely high end prices.

• Dudes, it's not a competition.

The idea that Cosmos has only VG+ records, or TSL has only M- records, or A-1's records are all hammered... is ridiculous. All of these stores are better than 99.999999% of what is out there and you have to be either ridiculously picky or just straight up ignorant if you can't find decent records in them.

NYC is like the only place on earth besides Japan and maybe London with a half dozen or more SERIOUS shops... it's quite a luxury and worthwhile checking them all.

Dudes, it's not a competition.

The idea that Cosmos has only VG+ records, or TSL has only M- records, or A-1's records are all hammered... is ridiculous. All of these stores are better than 99.999999% of what is out there and you have to be either ridiculously picky or just straight up ignorant if you can't find decent records in them.

NYC is like the only place on earth besides Japan and maybe London with a half dozen or more SERIOUS shops... it's quite a luxury and worthwhile checking them all.

I agree with most of this but assuming you don't have the time to hit up every store, if I were going to prioritize, I'd do Big City, Good and Academy. The last two times I've gotten out to New York, I had relatively little time to go record shopping and given that, I'd rather hit up places that I find 1) worth the time and 2) pleasant. Most of the stores mentioned in this thread fall into category 1. Can't say that about #2 save for the three stores I just named. I've never been to Cosmos though.

• NYC is like the only place on earth besides Japan and maybe London with a half dozen or more SERIOUS shops... it's quite a luxury and worthwhile checking them all.

Hells yeah. There is no good shops where i live for about 100 miles. So going to NYC is like traveling to the mecca. I haven't had really any bad experiences with any stores in NYC. Its always 50 times better finds then what im used to. I used to go into the old TSL and just be overwhelmed not even knowing where to start. And where else could you be shopping shooting the shit with Q-tip and Rob Swift? Just such a cool vibe digging out there even if it costs an arm and a leg. I gotta hit Good,the new TSL and jareds shop next time i roll out there.

• what about on the 45 tip?

seems to me that nyc is much more of an LP/12" market than a 45 market. this could be a rather reductive statement, i know, but when i go to nyc for records i always feel like i come across more quality and quantity LPs as compared to 45s. like i buy 45s i don't really need or come to want, but don't feel the same about the LPs.

then again, maybe i'm just spoiled by detroit.