The Sound Library

2»

Comments

• I would say that Big City is definitely the best place for 45s - but I have doubts that anywhere in NYC is going to comp Detroit!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think Cosmos has all these beat in terms of selection and diversity. However, the prices are also higher.

Cosmos is a more European/Japanese styled record store.

I was impressed by Cosmos, but TSL has records in better condition. Cosmos was
    VG + records that aren't that rare[/b] at extremely high end prices.

You buy hip hop... The thing with Cosmos is. While the smaller store has the hip hop out. Don't be afraid to ask for a better copy. Which he might have 3-10 copies in the back or down the street at the other store in the basement. And Aki never really puts the rare stuff out ever. Most dudes won't...

But I agree with JP. Each store on any given day can blow ur mind. Tho I haven't been to Good yet. But I'm sure JP could make me feel like I'm a silly little school gurl without a problem. Even before he showed me a single record.

• I think Cosmos has all these beat in terms of selection and diversity. However, the prices are also higher.

You buy hip hop... The thing with Cosmos is. While the smaller store has the hip hop out. Don't be afraid to ask for a better copy. Which he might have 3-10 copies in the back or down the street at the other store in the basement. And Aki never really puts the rare stuff out ever. Most dudes won't...

But I agree with JP. Each store on any given day can blow ur mind. Tho I haven't been to Good yet. But I'm sure JP could make me feel like I'm a silly little school gurl without a problem. Even before he showed me a single record.

You can't fuck with the shit Aki can get hold of. You saw that picture and that's the beginning.

I went into the old TSL basement a few times '99 or so and they had serious shit too, but

multiples of Hot Chocolate, Lou Ragland, Jackson Sisters, Sounds of City Experience..I didn't see.. Don't get me wrong, there's only a few shops in the world that can reach that level, but Aki was my Man!!

PS, what happened to the TSL drum 45 that they pressed up from an OG they said they found in a junk shop down the road?? Did anyone take that of their hands??

Peace
    Mo

• Where's Cosmos at?

Dress

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    what happened to the TSL drum 45 that they pressed up from an OG they said they found in a junk shop down the road?? Did anyone take that of their hands??

They did press up a few copies... Rob says maybe 100, maybe 200. I forgot all about this until you mentioned it, now I gotta go dig it out.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dudes, it's not a competition.

The idea that Cosmos has only VG+ records, or TSL has only M- records, or A-1's records are all hammered... is ridiculous. All of these stores are better than 99.999999% of what is out there and you have to be either ridiculously picky or just straight up ignorant if you can't find decent records in them.

NYC is like the only place on earth besides Japan and maybe London with a half dozen or more SERIOUS shops... it's quite a luxury and worthwhile checking them all.

I agree with most of this but assuming you don't have the time to hit up every store, if I were going to prioritize, I'd do Big City, Good and Academy. The last two times I've gotten out to New York, I had relatively little time to go record shopping and given that, I'd rather hit up places that I find 1) worth the time and 2) pleasant. Most of the stores mentioned in this thread fall into category 1. Can't say that about #2 save for the three stores I just named. I've never been to Cosmos though.

I've never even heard of Cosmos--it's in NYC?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Toronto

Two stores. Both within a block from each other.

• Where's Academy? Brooklyn??

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    what happened to the TSL drum 45 that they pressed up from an OG they said they found in a junk shop down the road?? Did anyone take that of their hands??

They did press up a few copies... Rob says maybe 100, maybe 200. I forgot all about this until you mentioned it, now I gotta go dig it out.

This sounds suspiciously like a 45 that i have. Anyone got a scan of this 45 handy?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where's Academy? Brooklyn??

One location in Manhattan and a second one in Brooklyn.

Can't really speak on the BK one, but the Manhattan one has really gone downhill. They have increasingly employed a straight-to-eBay policy when big pieces come in the door, which I think is pretty indefensible. Throw them up on the wall for a week or so first, and let the customers who have supported you for years have a chance at them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Where's Academy? Brooklyn??

One location in Manhattan and a second one in Brooklyn.

Can't really speak on the BK one, but the Manhattan one has really gone downhill. They have increasingly employed a straight-to-eBay policy when big pieces come in the door, which I think is pretty indefensible. Throw them up on the wall for a week or so first, and let the customers who have supported you for years have a chance at them.

Atomic in Burbank has a similar policy. Mega-wack.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Every store in Boston has a similar policy. Mega-wack.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Oh my dear friend....Atomic has a lot more mega-wack things about it than just that. Have you ever spoken with either of the two brothers who own this place? The smaller one isn't quite as bad - but they have the MOST annoying voices of all time. Like some shit straight out of a Mike Judge movie...."uuummm sir you seem to be handling the records incorrectly." If you ask to maybe break out a portable while you're there "yeaaa uh we don't really need extra damage being done to the records." They're on some musuem shit - like the goods they're selling aren't meant for actually listening to - but for jerking off. and while they get good shit in - you can NEVER find deals there. real pompus pricks.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Oh my dear friend....Atomic has a lot more mega-wack things about it than just that. Have you ever spoken with either of the two brothers who own this place? The smaller one isn't quite as bad - but they have the MOST annoying voices of all time. Like some shit straight out of a Mike Judge movie...."uuummm sir you seem to be handling the records incorrectly." If you ask to maybe break out a portable while you're there "yeaaa uh we don't really need extra damage being done to the records." They're on some musuem shit - like the goods they're selling aren't meant for actually listening to - but for jerking off. and while they get good shit in - you can NEVER find deals there. real pompus pricks.

I've brought in a portable twice, asked politely, and been allowed to use it both times. Looks like their policy is inconsistent, at best.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    wow. I'm shocked. you're the first I've ever heard of.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've never been to Cosmos though.

I had a chance to go there last week and I can say it is one of the best stores I've been to (still haven't been to Good tho!).
    Granted, the prices are high on some things, but if you're not looking for average records you won't be disappointed.

I ended up copping the Cuban joint up top and a few others not pictured here.

Aki is also an incredibly cool dude.

I spent way too much time (and money ) in there.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Toronto

Two stores. Both within a block from each other.

Names & addresses, please. Being from Buffalo, I keep intending a Toronto trip whenever I get back home. If Toronto is indeed another record store Mecca, I'll definitely make the extra effort. PM me if you want to keep those spots a secret.

• I've never been to Cosmos though.

I had a chance to go there last week and I can say it is one of the best stores I've been to (still haven't been to Good tho!).
    Granted, the prices are high on some things, but if you're not looking for average records you won't be disappointed.

I ended up copping the Cuban joint up top and a few others not pictured here.

Aki is also an incredibly cool dude.

I spent way too much time (and money ) in there.

I just found today for 2.00!!!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that dom salvador is mega raw. Let me nerd out as I also spot joyce, copa 7, jpt, carlos d*** and yasuko agawa.

we are lucky to have cosmos in our city.

607 queen st w. is the original, the new one is just a few blocks down, west of bathurst.

• that particular jpt is stupid nice. the shit with the airplane landing almost sounds like fela.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I think Cosmos has all these beat in terms of selection and diversity. However, the prices are also higher.

You can't fuck with the shit Aki can get hold of. You saw that picture and that's the beginning.

I went into the old TSL basement a few times '99 or so and they had serious shit too, but

multiples of Hot Chocolate, Lou Ragland, Jackson Sisters, Sounds of City Experience..I didn't see.. Don't get me wrong, there's only a few shops in the world that can reach that level, but Aki was my Man!!

PS, what happened to the TSL drum 45 that they pressed up from an OG they said they found in a junk shop down the road?? Did anyone take that of their hands??

Peace
    Mo

yup those multiples of Hot Chocolate...Thrust etc ect are cool word up to my cat Mazi Jahi for diggin that shit up for Aki @ Cosmos...just proof postive that Toronto...I meant Cleveland has records!