labels recycling music

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
brunswick:young-holt unlimited "light my fire" > erma franklin "light my fire"willie henderson (forgot the title) > fred hughes "oo wee baby i love you"probably more on brunswick alone, but what are some others? this is always interesting to me.oh and of course the re-usage of the background track for "lover and a friend" on that other 45. name escapes me. little boy blue or something? whatever. you know it.

Comments

• Scepter/Wand must have rerecorded "Never Had It So Good" about a thousand times(Ronnie Milsap/B.J. Thomas/Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown). Both Tommy Hunt and Chuck Jackson sang over the same background for "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself," although the version by Dionne Warwick (Scepter's biggest seller) was entirely different.

Motown did it too: "Say You" (Monitors/Temptations), "Forever" (Marvin Gaye/Marvelettes).

Double Shot did it at least once, when Brenton Wood did a bizarre remake of "Psychotic Reaction" that more or less "sampled" the Count Five.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    brunswick:
    young-holt unlimited "light my fire" > erma franklin "light my fire" > Jackie Wilson "Light My Fire"

brunswick:

young-holt unlimited "eleanor rigby" > Gene Chandler "eleanor rigby" > Jackie Wilson "eleanor rigby"

• probably more on brunswick alone, but what are some others?
    Young Holt Unlimited : Soulful Strut > Barbara Acklin : Am I the Same Girl?

Also, the Lionel Hampton LP's on Brunswick
    are him playing vibes over backing tracks from
    their catalog. That's why I want "Off Into a Black
    Thing" - the OG track on the Willie Henderson LP is
    completely insane. Anyone know of a vocal to it???

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    what im wondering is what came out first, the version by the original backing band or the vocal versions? obviously young-holt had to record light my fire before erma could record over it, but did they record it originally to be a backing track for her, or as a song for their own album?

• On Perception/Today Records:
    "Our Future" by Lucky Peterson / Black Ivory

The Dave "Baby" Cortez LP on T-Neck where
    he "covers" Isley Bros songs is just him
    playing over the backing tracks.

He did a similar thing with All-Platinum ...
    the Soul Vibration LP features him playing
    over the OG track of "Why Can't People Be Colors"

• Re: Lover and a Friend- Redone by Little Buck

Now that I think about it, this practice was not at all uncommon.

Clarence Reid- Miss Hot Stuff
    Leon Austin- Screw Driver

Little Royal(trius)/Sebastian (can't remember the label...brown door maybe? brown dog?)

There are at least 4(!!) different version of Hunt's Determination Band's "I Need Love"

The instrumental track for Carol Anderson's 45 on Whip was previously used on an earlier release by Gail Nevels.

The instrumental track from the Four Voices- "You're Love is Getting Stronger", which was itself a flop, was reused YEARS later on a now very valuable Chuck Holiday record.

The Flint Emeralds (Coconut Groove)/ The Breed (Melony)

There was at least one track by the Combinations Inc that was reused by the Hot 'n' Heavy Allstars.

Final Decisions on both BumpShop and Love was, like, an interpolation of the Prophet & His Disciples recording on Pressco.

That killer funk record by Earth's Delight (Black Forest) was revamped with a vocal and :shredface: guitar by the group Now (which was pretty much the same band as I understand)

• And of course, there's the whole Animated Egg/Haircuts & the Impossibles/101 Strings, etc. thing.

• Phil-L.A. of Soul reused tracks quite a bit, to the point where they'd even have the same artist use the same background twice (Fantastic Johnny C's "Boogaloo Down Broadway" also turned up on the flipside as "Look What Love Will Make You Do").

• ...and if independent producers count, may as well mention bubblegum kings Kasenetz-Katz ("Wasted" by the Great Train Robbery on ABC/"The Race That Took Place" by the Ohio Express on Buddah...only the Ohio Express recording was instrumental and had race-car sound effects...may have had the drums removed as well).

James Brown, too - he used and reused several tracks on several artists between King and Polydor.

James Brown, too - he used and reused several tracks on several artists between King and Polydor.

Yeah, weird stuff like I'm pretty sure Hank Ballard's
    "How You Gonna Get Respect" is the rhythm track of
    "Lickin' Stick" with new horn charts over it.

yeah, this was always really strange to me because wasnt "lickin stick" a (relatively) big hit?

• [color:green]what im wondering is what came out first, the version by the original backing band or the vocal versions? obviously young-holt had to record light my fire before erma could record over it, but did they record it originally to be a backing track for her, or as a song for their own album? [/color]

I think the Erma came out first, since her Soul Sister album has a lower catalog number (Young-Holt's Just A Melody, featuring their version of the same song, was three Brunswick albums later). But I don't know which was recorded first, for whatever reason...

yeah, this was always really strange to me because wasnt "lickin stick" a (relatively) big hit?

All the more reason to recycle it

• James Brown, too - he used and reused several tracks on several artists between King and Polydor.

"Licking Stick - Licking Stick" was a big hit any way you look at it (Top 5 R&B/Top 15 pop in Billboard ain't nothing to sneeze at). Funny part is, Hank got a sizable hit from "...Respect" later that same year.

Seems like this whole reused tracks thing was real huge with R&B labels and producers trying to pinch pennies. (And this ONLY seemed to happen in R&B - I can't think of many rock examples.) I'm surprised Gamble & Huff never pulled this stunt, to my knowledge...but then, they seemed like too much of a class act to stoop to hand-me-down backgrounds.

here was a discovery i made about 4 years ago, involving some rhythm track recycling. really surprised to hear it since the two labels these records on have nothing in common. im assuming this is the reason the mystic moods track doesnt necessarily fit in too well with the rest of the "awakening" album (assuming the other track came first)

trying to keep the other track hush-hush but im sure plenty of you dudes know the 45 already.

• trying to keep the other track hush-hush but im sure plenty of you dudes know the 45 already.

oh Lord, we're back on that "paranoid crate digger afraid of sharing knowledge" trip again! j/k

trying to keep the other track hush-hush but im sure plenty of you dudes know the 45 already.

oh Lord, we're back on that "paranoid crate digger afraid of sharing knowledge" trip again! j/k

hahaha, i dont know, i was intending on keeping the whole thing to myself since i discovered it but whatever. im sure countless dudes on here have this 45 so this is as close as i'll come to giving it up completely.

by the way did anybody else know about this yet? im just wondering how WB ended up with the master tapes assuming the soul track came first. the bass/drums is IDENTICAL. same changes throughout the song and everything. listen close.

• Motown did it too: "Say You" (Monitors/Temptations), "Forever" (Marvin Gaye/Marvelettes).

also from Motown..

Reuben Howell - You Made Your Bed -> Magic Disco Machine - Scratchin'.

• The Stokes 'Young Man/ Old Man' on ALON was reused as the backing track for Benny Spellman's 'Word Game' on Atlantic, both Allen Toussaint jawns...

• Curtis Mayfield did this too, with his Curtom/Thomas labels...

"We Must Be In Love" (Five Stairsteps/Impressions)
    "This Is My Country" (Impressions/Dewi, Cheetum & Howe)

• [color:green]what im wondering is what came out first, the version by the original backing band or the vocal versions? obviously young-holt had to record light my fire before erma could record over it, but did they record it originally to be a backing track for her, or as a song for their own album? [/color]

I think the Erma came out first, since her Soul Sister album has a lower catalog number (Young-Holt's Just A Melody, featuring their version of the same song, was three Brunswick albums later). But I don't know which was recorded first, for whatever reason...

Where does the Jackie Wilson version fit into the timeline?

also, Wanda Robinson had a number of recycled joints, like the one she took from Black Ivory "I Keep Asking You Questions". Man, there are a LOT of these recycled songs out there... "Momma Momma" by Betty somebody has the same music as some funk 45 instrumental... i used to know all these titles but i just don't care to retain this info any longer

what about recycled rap tracks? I don't mean joints where somebody samples somebody else's record for a remake (ex. Diddy redoing PE's "Public Enemy No. 1) or somebody just coincidentally using the same sample but schitt where the producer sells the same exact beat to two different acts... like Onyx used the same beat as somebody else awhile back and i think somebody else did this schitt recently

when i get home maybe i'll look up some more of these recycled tunes, there are tons of them... probbly i won't bother with it though

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I might be mistaken, but isn't Freedom Now Brothers - Cissy Walk the same as Ann Robinson - You Did It, sans vocals?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There's also James Brown reuse of the rhythm track from "Nose Job" for Leon Austin's "Steal Away" (or was that the other way around?)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    There's also James Brown reuse of the rhythm track from "Nose Job" for Leon Austin's "Steal Away" (or was that the other way around?)
    yeah, you beat me to that one.

"Pity the Child" by The Albert is the backing music on one of Wanda Robinson's songs. both are on perception.

Where does the Jackie Wilson version fit into the timeline?

Later that same year (1969), just a little bit after Young-Holt.

Momma Momma" by Betty somebody

Betty Barney.

has the same music as some funk 45 instrumental

This I didn't know.

• I can't remember the title but I recently listened to a 7" that used Hot Sauce's "Echoes From The Past" single on Volt as the instrumental backing. I don't think the record in question was on Volt, too.

• Momma Momma" by Betty somebody

Betty Barney.

has the same music as some funk 45 instrumental

This I didn't know.

yeah, i think it's called "chicken scratch" or something... i'll try to check on that later if i'm thinking about it. somebody here should know that schitt. i think its a more common record than the Betty Barney is actually but i don't remember for sure

• There's a couple more involving Sonny Stitt...

"Private Number" (originally done by William Bell & Judy Clay) b/w "Double Or Nothing" (Booker T. & the MG's), on Enterprise (a Stax sub-label). This is a Stitt single where he's heard riffing over the backing tracks to both, like a saxophone karaoke.

Also see: "Double-O Soul," another Stitt single, where he's playing sax to the track of the Edwin Starr hit of the same name. On the Wingate label (was this company affiliated with Ric Tic, who put out Starr's version?).