labels recycling music

2»

Comments

• There's a couple more involving Sonny Stitt...

"Private Number" (originally done by William Bell & Judy Clay) b/w "Double Or Nothing" (Booker T. & the MG's), on Enterprise (a Stax sub-label). This is a Stitt single where he's heard riffing over the backing tracks to both, like a saxophone karaoke.

Also see: "Double-O Soul," another Stitt single, where he's playing sax to the track of the Edwin Starr hit of the same name. On the Wingate label (was this company affiliated with Ric Tic, who put out Starr's version?).

There's another Wingate 45 with Hank Marr doing "Marr's Groove" on one side and Sonny Stitt doing 'Stitt's Groove' on the flip (same track)

• Momma Momma" by Betty somebody

Betty Barney.

has the same music as some funk 45 instrumental

This I didn't know.

yeah, i think it's called "chicken scratch" or something... i'll try to check on that later if i'm thinking about it. somebody here should know that schitt. i think its a more common record than the Betty Barney is actually but i don't remember for sure

okay... it's Chili Peppers "Chicken Scratch", also on GWP as is the Betty Barney (Betty came first though)

• probably more on brunswick alone, but what are some others?
    Young Holt Unlimited : Soulful Strut > Barbara Acklin : Am I the Same Girl?

Barbara Acklin's vocal version was recorded first. Brunswick then took the instrumental backing track and dubbed a lead piano part over it and released it under Young-Holt Unlimited's name. The funny part is, neither Young nor Holt plays on either version.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I might be mistaken, but isn't Freedom Now Brothers - Cissy Walk the same as Ann Robinson - You Did It, sans vocals?

no sir you are correct.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Little Royal(trius)/Sebastian (can't remember the label...brown door maybe? brown dog?)

Brown Dog, although according to Mr. Finewine came out on at least three different labels.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I might be mistaken, but isn't Freedom Now Brothers - Cissy Walk the same as Ann Robinson - You Did It, sans vocals?

no sir you are correct.

Yeah but thats just the flip side to that 45 though, right?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    here was a discovery i made about 4 years ago, involving some rhythm track recycling. really surprised to hear it since the two labels these records on have nothing in common. im assuming this is the reason the mystic moods track doesnt necessarily fit in too well with the rest of the "awakening" album (assuming the other track came first)

trying to keep the other track hush-hush but im sure plenty of you dudes know the 45 already.

Never heard that soul track before, but it could be either 1) the same rhythm section on both records or 2) the studio musicians who did the MM track liked that 45 and ripped off the rhythm track.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    here was a discovery i made about 4 years ago, involving some rhythm track recycling. really surprised to hear it since the two labels these records on have nothing in common. im assuming this is the reason the mystic moods track doesnt necessarily fit in too well with the rest of the "awakening" album (assuming the other track came first)

trying to keep the other track hush-hush but im sure plenty of you dudes know the 45 already.

Never heard that soul track before, but it could be either 1) the same rhythm section on both records or 2) the studio musicians who did the MM track liked that 45 and ripped off the rhythm track.

its definitely the same exact recording, all they did was drench it in reverb and drop out the bass when they wanted it to (you can still slightly hear it even during the parts without it). the songs take the same changes, the drum patterns change at the exact same times, you can even layer the tracks on top of each other and they sync up perfectly.

• King Curtis- Instant Groove

Aretha Franklin- Save Me

• whatnauts - help is on the way

fat larry's band - act like you know