MANDRILL in new wax poetics

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The first Osibisa album is pretty solid.
    "Ayiko Bia" is most definitely a "banger" with horns that are

By the way, War didn't just record "an album" with
    Eric Burdon, they recorded 2, plus enough material
    for a 3rd posthumous release in 1975. And there are
    good songs on all 3. Hating on "Spill the Wine" or
    "Magic Mountain" is just sad. Shit burns.

• Dudes saying "Eric Burdon played with War" like Eric is chump or something...get real....The Animals kicked ass...

I jammed the Hilton Valentine LP on Capitol yesterday.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    so do any of yall geniuses who said that WAR > mandrill in that thread from a month or so ago still feel the same way after reading that new Wax Po? If you haven't read it yet, check it out quick and get back to me

Damn, Phill why did you mess up our perfect record? FINALLY, we disagree on something. Plus, I'm sidin' with Paychecks on this one, what's the world coming to? War all day, aeeday!!! I loves me some Mandrill, too, but I have fond memories attached to War's music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Mandrill had War SCARED like lil bitches, peein' the bed and schitt

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mandrill had War,Earth,Wind & Fire,Funkadelics,and James Brown SCARED like lil bitches, peein' the bed and schitt

• Mandrill had War SCARED like lil bitches, peein' the bed and schitt

Is that a quote from the article? I might have to read it now.

I heard God used to say his prayers to Mandrill
    every night, just before he would go to bed.

" ... and thank you for Composite Truth, and
    for Mandrill 3, and for the Jungle Brothers, and ..."[/b]

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

You're wrong. Mandrill can't hold a candle to Grover Washington Jr.

READ THE ARTICLE. only BATMON knows the true... i FORGOT the part about how they even had JB shook, had his man cuttin' their speaker wires and shootin' out their damn MONITORS he was so scared to have to follow them, and they STILL killed it even with no speakers! Fools was straight WALKING OUT on War's show, they were so bored after Mandrill had tore it down! READ THE ARTICLE then get back to me, all yall War sucklers

READ THE ARTICLE. only BATMON knows the true... i FORGOT the part about how they even had JB shook, had his man cuttin' their speaker wires and shootin' out their damn MONITORS he was so scared to have to follow them, and they STILL killed it even with no speakers! Fools was straight WALKING OUT on War's show, they were so bored after Mandrill had tore it down! READ THE ARTICLE then get back to me, all yall War sucklers

All of that is cool, and I'm sure adds to the "legitimacy of their sound". But come on now. People are gonna like what they like. All that subtext don't mean a thing, music is music. If a group is made of a bunch of cornflakes, it'll sound like that.

Like Paychex said, I think you're coming at this at a different angle. Live performance as opposed to on record.

Church.

War had more raydio hits.

All of that is cool, and I'm sure adds to the "legitimacy of their sound". But come on now. People are gonna like what they like. All that subtext don't mean a thing, music is music. If a group is made of a bunch of cornflakes, it'll sound like that.

i'm sorry, but what in the fuck are you even talking about here?

I'm pulling shit out my ass as we speak, cuz I bored. Did it not make sense?

Just walk away....

(Walking away, with Kobe Bryant teddy bear in hand...)

Speaking of Wax Poetics and Grover Washington, Jr ...
    I heard Grover tried to put a hit out on John Klemmer
    to keep Barefoot Ballet from being released at
    the same time as his own A Secret Place ... word
    is Wash was straight SHOOK having only seen the cover
    art, without even hearing the smooth grooves within.
    Apparently, when he did hear a preview copy, he broke
    a wine bottle over an assistant's head, nearly causing
    a scandal that only a massive amount of CTI money was
    able to keep under control. Creed Taylor also stepped in
    to call off the hit, and had his hands full calling a truce,
    as Klemmer had learned of the hit attempt and was planning
    a violent retaliation of his own. Thank God for Creed Taylor,
    or we may have never had a Winelight OR a Nexus.

you lost me with the cornflakes. or maybe a few words before that. really, though, you just shouldn't be in this discussion unless you've read the Wax Po article. i'm honestly not trying to make people look dumb here... it's just happening.

you lost me with the cornflakes. or maybe a few words before that. really, though, you just shouldn't be in this discussion unless you've read the Wax Po article. i'm honestly not trying to make people look dumb here... it's just happening.

Fair enough.

(Looks timidly at the way of the gangsta with said teddy bear in hand)

this is a bold faced LIE

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    After seeing their co-headlining show last weekend, I like War more because Lonnie Johnson didn't bring his son on stage to do some tepid generic positivity rap shit for two songs midway through the set, then later rap over one of their signature songs. Ugh.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    READ THE ARTICLE.

so do you ever actually listen to music or do you exclusively decide what you like based on magazine articles?

this is a bold faced LIE

BUT I READ IT IN WAX POETICS!!!

READ THE ARTICLE.

so do you ever actually listen to music or do you exclusively decide what you like based on magazine articles?

what the FUCK are you talking about? you people are not even making ANY cotdamn sense now

• can someone actually post this article for us peasants that don't have subscriptions?

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ARTICLE AND YOU ARE "CONTRIBUTING" TO THIS THREAD THEN YOU ARE STUPID

READ THE ARTICLE.

what the FUCK are you talking about? you people are not even making ANY cotdamn sense now

YO PHIL, doesn't it suck that it levels the playing field on the internet, so that EVERYONE can have an opinion? Imagine being in my shoes in the NBA thread!!!! jk.

Naw, but this is a great thread, cuz people care a whole lot about both groups.

READ THE ARTICLE.

YO PHILL[/b], doesn't it suck that it levels the playing field on the internet, so that EVERYONE can have an opinion? Imagine being in my shoes in the NBA thread!!!! jk.

but see, what's dumb is that there was already a War vs. Mandrill thread where people spouted off with their uneducated and meaningless internet opinions. THIS thread is ABOUT THE WAX POETICS ARTICLE IN WHICH IT IS CLEARLY EXPLAINED AND DETAILED HOW MANDRILL CHANGED MUSIC, INSPIRED AND ABSOLUTELY NOT ONLY WAR BUT OTHER GREAT R&B ACTS OF THE 70'S. this is critical information for any jonny-come-lately losers who THINK they know the true but can't really EVER know the true because their shallow asses are too damn young to have BEEN AROUND when the schitt was really poppin' off... in that case, the born-too-late-to-know-jack-schitt creeps should shut it and LISTEN to their elders who can school them on the TRUTH instead of acting like they are EXPERTS on things that they are absolutely clueless about. they won't, though, because this is the internet, a.k.a. the xanadu of the witless.

in other words... READ THE ARTICLE

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    READ THE ARTICLE.

YO PHILL[/b], doesn't it suck that it levels the playing field on the internet, so that EVERYONE can have an opinion? Imagine being in my shoes in the NBA thread!!!! jk.

but see, what's dumb is that there was already a War vs. Mandrill thread where people spouted off with their uneducated and meaningless internet opinions. THIS thread is ABOUT THE WAX POETICS ARTICLE IN WHICH IT IS CLEARLY EXPLAINED AND DETAILED HOW MANDRILL CHANGED MUSIC, INSPIRED AND ABSOLUTELY NOT ONLY WAR BUT OTHER GREAT R&B ACTS OF THE 70'S. this is critical information for any jonny-come-lately losers who THINK they know the true but can't really EVER know the true because their shallow asses are too damn young to have BEEN AROUND when the schitt was really poppin' off... in that case, the born-too-late-to-know-jack-schitt creeps should shut it and LISTEN [/b] to their elders who can school them on the TRUTH instead of acting like they are EXPERTS on things that they are absolutely clueless about. they won't, though, because this is the internet, a.k.a. the xanadu of the witless.

in other words... READ THE ARTICLE

LOL!!

i find that funny cuz i fit perfectly in that description.