New Bed Strut

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I got out of bed this morning with a stiff neck and a crooked back (Herm, insert homo joke here) and I decided that it's time to dump this old ass matress and box spring. This old bed is making my days that much harder. I spent the night at a lady-friend's house, and she had this B&B Itaia bed that was like shear heaven. I couldnt get up, it was so comfortable. I noticed how much more productive I was the following day, and realized what a good investment a quality bed really is.anyone have any suggestions for a moderately priced, durable, theraputic bed? I think spending $1000 on something I use every day isnt that big of an expense.

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just got a Simmons Beauty-rest Worldclass that I can barely get out of. It's a normal spring mattress with a viscoelastic memory foam top built in.

It retails at about $2000, and I talked them down to $1050. No joke. Always haggle with mattress salespeople and bring cash if you can. It helps. Go to one of those mattress superstores, and lie down on everything to try them all. There are three main types which can be thought of along the lines of goldielocks. Firm, Plush, and Pillowtop. I chose the plush because I liked it best. The pillowtop was too soft. Also, find the bed you like, and then shop around everywhere for the best price. Most stores will price match.

• I don't have one of these, but they are the shit. My girl is considering geting one of these soon, I sure hope she does. I like it firm (g'head herm) and these are firm but wont contort you.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    from what i uderstand, those foam type beds get really hot because the air is unable to ciculate the way it does in a regular spring mattress.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I highly recommend getting a Memory Foam mattress topper for whatever bed you get. It'll change your life.

I highly recommend getting a Memory Foam mattress topper for whatever bed you get. It'll change your life.

will it remember where i leave my cell phone?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    rey I endorse your new Salma avatar.

• What's the consensus on having the mattress directly on your floor as opposed to a frame?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    What's the consensus on having the mattress directly on your floor as opposed to a frame?
    waste of valuable storage space. you used to live in NYC, Ad****. you know the dill pickle.

you get those cds?

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I was just at Sams club the other day, and they have good deals on serta's.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    What's the consensus on having the mattress directly on your floor as opposed to a frame?

w or w/o boxspring?

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    tom
    whatever you do definitely top it off with the memory foam. i got 'em 4 cheap at overstock.com. surprising how much of a difference it makes, even on like an air mattress.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I rocked the box-spring-and-mattress-on-the-floor steez for years when I first moved out to Cali. Ain't nuthin' wrong with it, but I do like having an actual bedframe better. That was pretty much my big furniture upgrade. Next up: Ditching this fucking futon and getting an actual couch.

• What's the consensus on having the mattress directly on your floor as opposed to a frame?
    waste of valuable storage space. you used to live in NYC, Ad****. you know the dill pickle.

you get those cds?

I don't need the extra storage space right now because most of my stuff is still on the east coast in storage.

Naw dude... no CD's yet, though I appreciate the hookup! Gracias Tomas!

That whole storage scenario has got to be rectified. I needs access to my rekkids, man.

w or w/o boxspring?

What's the difference?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

w or w/o boxspring?

Our box spring wouldnt fit up the stairs in our 100 year old house so our mattress was on the floor for over a year. My back kills all the time, partly due to a crappy mattress, we need a new one without a doubt.

However I did get the bed off the floor just three days ago on the advice of Mr. Jeigh who said two brilliant words. MILK CRATES.

Ikea just opened here and I was going to just buy one of their beds that I could put together in the room, but cant afford that yet and would rather have a new mattress than a new bed frame. Anyways, it only took like 20 crates I was short 8 and had to go on a mission on sunday which only yielded 4 but I made it work.

Did you know milk crates are like the new Meth related recycling thing??? I had no idea but apparently china pays big money to melt it down and make into other stuff.

Also I looked online and they cost like 10-14 bucks a piece, so its still a $200 bed frame.

w or w/o boxspring?

Our box spring wouldnt fit up the stairs in our 100 year old house so our mattress was on the floor for over a year. My back kills all the time, partly due to a crappy mattress, we need a new one without a doubt.

However I did get the bed off the floor just three days ago on the advice of Mr. Jeigh who said two brilliant words. MILK CRATES.

Ikea just opened here and I was going to just buy one of their beds that I could put together in the room, but cant afford that yet and would rather have a new mattress than a new bed frame. Anyways, it only took like 20 crates I was short 8 and had to go on a mission on sunday which only yielded 4 but I made it work.

Did you know milk crates are like the new Meth related recycling thing??? I had no idea but apparently china pays big money to melt it down and make into other stuff.

Also I looked online and they cost like 10-14 bucks a piece, so its still a $200 bed frame.

Damn! Doesn't it look real ghetto to have oyur bed held up by a grip of milk crates? or maybe it looks cool... can you post a pic?

I imagine yoiu'd get really good support from something like that.

I just put a cool looking sheet over the top of the crates and had help putting the mattress on top so it wouldn't pull, you cant even tell unless you lift up the sheet or stub your toe on the cornor. ouch! The only bad thing is you cant use the the underneath as storage, but I havent been for who knows how long so that doesnt matter.

The old mattress now has improved performance because the springs arent working against itself by being on the floor, but really as soon as I can afford a new mattress Im going for test drives. There are so many new kinds of beds these days.

and it is ghetto, but I am poor.

Dr. Delay,

Your PMS are full. Thanks for the CD! Got it from Jeigh last week. Listened to it at work and loving every minute as usual. Keep it up! Hope all is well with and to be seeing you in your neck of the woods before the year is up.

• I just put a cool looking sheet over the top of the crates and had help putting the mattress on top so it wouldn't pull, you cant even tell unless you lift up the sheet or stub your toe on the cornor. ouch! The only bad thing is you cant use the the underneath as storage, but I havent been for who knows how long so that doesnt matter.

The old mattress now has improved performance because the springs arent working against itself by being on the floor, but really as soon as I can afford a new mattress Im going for test drives. There are so many new kinds of beds these days.

and it is ghetto, but I am poor.

No worries, I'm poor too... that's why I asked how it worked for you. My mattress is FUCKED up and on the floor. Me and my girl wake up feeling like we got hit by a car but can't afford a new mattress right now. Don't wanna go for a cheap one because it won't last very long and we'll be back to square one before we know it...

I might try this milk crate method.

I highly recommend it if you have no other options, not to mention I have extremely bad knee tendinitis and I think lifting myself up off the floor might have had a lot to do with the joint issues. I will know in a couple weeks how much it helps that aspect, but Im pretty sure its already a good look for my knees.

• I highly recommend it if you have no other options, not to mention I have extremely bad knee tendinitis and I think lifting myself up off the floor might have had a lot to do with the joint issues. I will know in a couple weeks how much it helps that aspect, but Im pretty sure its already a good look for my knees.

My knees are messed up too from years of martial arts and futbol abuse. When I get up, it sounds like crackling twigs in a fire. This sounds like a solid idea. Thanks! Now where the fuck am I gonna find all them milk crates?

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

I don't think you are talking about Ikea mattresses, but if you are, these things should be avoided. I bought their "top-of-the-line" mattress last year and can't stand it. I had to buy a memory foam pad AND down comforter pad to make it comfortable. Their in-store model must have been thoroughly broken in or simply a different mattress, because what I got when I got home was crap. I'm pretty sure the combination of the memory foam pad and the down pad could make even plywood comfortable.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with IKEA on any major purchase -- coach, bed, office chair. No matter how tight the money, buy something nice and you'll only have to buy it once. We're talking about the place where you lay your head -- don't sinch on that.

I have a simple cherry bed platform, sans headboard, and a nice mattress, sans boxspring. It's firm but not too firm.

• I picked up a Select Comfort King 5000 a couple of months ago and it changed my life. I have sleep apnea and the wife was pregnant at the time so good sleep is necessary. We ended up splurging and dropped $2500 on the bed. Best thing I've ever spent money on because a shitty bed and an infant waking up every 2-3 hours is

• sergserg 682 Posts
    man like two months ago we copped a Simmons Beautyrest, extra firm with the pillow top, good support with the pillowtop but nice and firm under that shit. I fucking love this thing and I hate sleeping. Its way better without the transfer motion which helped the girlfriend sleep better. We only got the mattress because we got a platform bed around the same time.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    actually I know of someone who has used this milk crate method and they still have horrible back pain. So, I dunno if it is such a good idea.

I understand not having enough money, but hospital bills are a pain in the ass.

I have considered getting a new bed lately. I think Im gonna go hassle some mattress salesmen next week!

i sleep on a $2000 mattress with dolo.