Blackout Appreciation

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Saying...

Comments

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Da Ba Da Bricks Da Ba Ba Ba Bricks...Shoalin....

This album happens to coincide with the peak of my blunt inhilation days...I call it a personal classic...I would like to hear a follow up to this...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Red and Meth are two of the best MCs evar, whether or not they ever would've decided to do an album together.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Red and Meth are two of the best MCs evar, whether or not they ever would've decided to do an album together.

Further wu-related mancrushes revealed!

I specifically remember deciding not to buy this record at the time and thinking to myself, "Damn, I wish Method Man wasn't on there."

Dude had a very brief window of brilliance and then became exceedingly corny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Further wu-related mancrushes revealed!

I specifically remember deciding not to buy this record at the time and thinking to myself, "Damn, I wish Method Man wasn't on there."

And retrieved his brillace on this collabo. This was a perfect marriage of two mcs that compliment one another. IMO there are plenty of times on this album where Meth outdoes Red. I would like another collabo.Blackout is a Fuckin Classic.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Blackout is a Fuckin Classic.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

But when he was good, he killed it on the mic. Attitude and swagger for days.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

But when he was good, he killed it on the mic. Attitude and swagger for days.

I dont want to morph this into a "Meth has lost his skills" debate.
    Ill honestly say he doesnt have a Classic album. Yeah Mad mofos brounght his first joint which was coming out of the 36 chambers hype, but i have never been able to listen to it st8 thru. I doesnt mean he's a wack mc at all, but he s failed to come w/ a set of songs that work a a whole body IMO.
    Dude has classic verses,guest spots, solo singles,posse cuts,Wu-shit,etc. But his album shit is weak IMO. And he got some shit on that last cd.Dont sleep.

Back to Blackout....

Production wise.....Its fuckin bananas. Are there any Hip Hop Duets that can stand up to this? Name some duet albums and let me know if its hotter than this.
    I cant think of any two mc from "diff" camps that came together and killed shit.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack. I was about to post my thoughts on Blackout when my girl called. We got talking and I just posted what I had.

I'm sad to say that I don't currently have this album in any form - cd, lp, or mp3.

I thought I had mp3s, but I spent 10 minutes looking through dvds of old mp3 backups and can't find it.

How High, Da Rockwilder, Y.O.U., and Run For Cover are personal classics.
    The first time I heard Da Rockwilder I was like
    The beat just killed me. Listening back now I sorta have trouble seeing what blew my mind so much, but I remember just plain bugging out to the beat. Dancing and jumpin' around at parties, in the car, etc...

Here's the video. Peep the mid-way jump/switch to How High at around 2:13.

F a rap critic, he talk about it while I live it
    if red got the blunt then I'm the second one to hit it

• I fuck with Meth's first record. Maybe it's was just a time in my life (a time when I was doing a lot of drugs!). But nonetheless, I think it has it's own thing to it and the production on a lot of those joints is insane. Underrated in the Wu catalog IMO.

I like Blackout - these dudes play off each other so well. I gotta revisit it...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    classic record no doubt

classic record no doubt

Name some rap albums that aren't classic.

I fuck with Meth's first record. Maybe it's was just a time in my life (a time when I was doing a lot of drugs!). But nonetheless, I think it has it's own thing to it and the production on a lot of those joints is insane. Underrated in the Wu catalog IMO.

I like that record a lot--I like Meth through Forever. After that, no thanks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    classic record no doubt

Name some rap albums that aren't classic.
    we've gone thru this before, i still don't get why me liking more than about 5 rap albums since '98 = DEEJ THINKS ALL RAP IS CLASSIC. but if u need examples, fishscale and hell hath no fury are not classics.

hell hath no fury are not classics

major league deejery

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hell hath no fury are not classics

major league deejery
    major league kool aid