Discuss records here

2»

Comments

• I can't say it was essential to me. Same goes with the Cult album.

Essential for me, strictly due to my geographic locale...
    I always think I will eventually score the girl cover at some point out here in Vegas, but after several years, nada. I do dig up the horse covers (blue and brown) from time to time though...and on a side note, it's widley speculated that the girl cover is the first pressing, but I believe it to be the 3rd pressing (or 2nd at best). Reason being, the 45 issued from the LP shares the same label design as the brown horse cover LP, which is kind of a rudimentary 3-D letter design. The label design on both the blue horse and girl covers share a slicker design, one that better matches an actual "Starburst" if you will. This site shows all 3 covers, couldn't find any label scans online...

If you're willing to pay I know Mike Vegh has one (the girl cover) that he's been bringing to the record shows out here.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Is the Benny Gordon LP actually good?

The money it goes for makes one thing it would
    be, but it also has potential for dull tepidity.

Tepid is about right.

• I remember hearing the Tighten Up cover once and thought it sounded cool, albeit pretty straightforward. Haven't heard anything else though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I remember hearing the Tighten Up cover once and thought it sounded cool, albeit pretty straightforward. Haven't heard anything else though.

I had one about 3-4 years ago and remember it being not so much bad as just not really very remarkable.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Is the Benny Gordon LP actually good?

The money it goes for makes one thing it would
    be, but it also has potential for dull tepidity.

Benny Gordon is super tepid. I passed on it for $20 or something.

Hey Parsec, what's up with the Court of Circe avatar? Is anyone interested in that LP? It seems like it should be good private / spiritual / jazz / Brazilian / whatever, but the music just never grabbed me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whats the LP between the Ebony Jam Band and the Soul Messengers?

Also whats up with that Soul Messengers, is it as good as the S/T one?

And Benny Gordon aint that epid, it's just not great

That Tal Armstrong is crap

and for gods sake can someone please post an MP3 of that OT Sykes?

• Hey Parsec, what's up with the Court of Circe avatar? Is anyone interested in that LP? It seems like it should be good private / spiritual / jazz / Brazilian / whatever, but the music just never grabbed me.

Not a good record. I was glad to be rid of the several copies I had a while back.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Hey Parsec, what's up with the Court of Circe avatar? Is anyone interested in that LP? It seems like it should be good private / spiritual / jazz / Brazilian / whatever, but the music just never grabbed me.

I like about two/thirds of the album and the other third is not so much my bag. That record Papaya that you reviewed on here way back: the guitar player Brian in Papaya is also on the Fred Taylor lp. Its also one of my favorite record covers ever. Fred is the most humble, nicest dude and he's still playing music these days for a living.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

GO!

I need a NM copy of Blair Dammit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I dig that Ebony Jam Band LP.
    yeah and it doesn't seem all that expensive nowadays.

I also dig the Bobby Glenn LP.

What's up with Buddy Glen, though? Can anybody speak on that?

• I really liked the Bobby Glenn last time I had it. I recall wanting to keep it, but traded it out to the hommie.

Incidental to my earlier post, I finally got 2 boxes of records I had bought a few months back down in Pennsylvania and a copy of Fred Taylor - Court Of Circe was in it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really liked the Bobby Glenn last time I had it. I recall wanting to keep it, but traded it out to the hommie.

The Bobby Glen done been spoke on. I'm tryna find out what's up with Buddy Glenn.

• well, clearly three of the letters in his first name are different.

With your buddy Glen?

• I had dozens of copies of that Chosen Few 12" (with the heart on the front) before they blew up.
    Congrats to the dudes that got them for $30 off me.

I like about two/thirds of the album and the other third is not so much my bag. That record Papaya that you reviewed on here way back: the guitar player Brian in Papaya is also on the Fred Taylor lp. Its also one of my favorite record covers ever. Fred is the most humble, nicest dude and he's still playing music these days for a living.

Cool, I was just surprised to see it in someone's avatar...

• i can vouch for the Thompsons being a solid record...similar to the Ambassadors, soul with a couple funk cuts.

thats not a group of records you see everyday. i dont know half of them

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Can someone explain the baller appeal of that Latinos album?

i had that record as part of a collection i bought a couple of years ago, and i think i resold it for a dollar because i thought it was an absolute terd.

at least i made $.97 profit off of it...

I think I did something similar, even after reading it was flippable on soulstrut. Wow does it suck.

• whats the LP between the Ebony Jam Band and the Soul Messengers?

Frank Dell - Yesterdays people (Guinness)
    nice soul LP on the Guinness label with the northern cut "He broke your game wide open"

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    whats the LP between the Ebony Jam Band and the Soul Messengers?

nice soul LP on the Guinness label with the northern cut "He broke your game wide open"

only one northern cut? The rest is boogie or what?

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

i'm guessing that it's a collection of songs over the course of Frank Dell's career because all the songs are recorded differently and they all sound like they're from different eras. there's a couple of northern tracks. no boogie. no disco. but there is a really bad ass ballad called "i want what i want".

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

i'm guessing that it's a collection of songs over the course of Frank Dell's career because all the songs are recorded differently and they all sound like they're from different eras. there's a couple of northern tracks. no boogie. no disco. but there is a really bad ass ballad called "i want what i want".

That makes sense.

To tie 2 threads together: here's Frank singing about Cocaine around the time that De La Soul went psychedelic. It's bad growing on me!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I will pay $50,000 to anyone that can supply me with Nearmint copies of all records shown, but only as a lot, by this Friday.

• Frank Dell - Yesterdays people (Guinness)

yes, some ballads, some northern, just a solid soul record issued as all Guinness titles in 1977 with some earlier tracks.
    one of the rarer Guinnesses, but not super rare as Roger Hatcher, James Conwell,...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The only two records from that wall that I own I found on the same day almost exactly a year ago: The Lovelites and the Milton Wright.